what's annoying most before starting game (e.g. its always starts with Akropolis bay )

seeh

what is annoying me most before starting 0ad-game ( no claim to completeness ):

- i need change my mods every two games for joining a game (nearly)

- if i change mod, all my default map configs are not there anymore and it always starts with Acropolis bay again ( hope this could fixed easily )

Edited by seeh
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• seeh changed the title to what's annoying most before starting game (e.g. its always starts with Akropolis bay )

It would be great to change mod's without restarting 0ad.
There are GUI mod's which edit the main menu for those a restart is required. But they likely don't make/mark the game as incompatible. So those are not a problem.

Mod's which only add a map or change the gameplay, should be (automaticly) loaded when entering a (pre-)game.

• Like 3

The reason the map is reset is not to trigger errors or break gamesetup. I think wraitii patched the symptoms, but joining a match where you didn't have the map used to make the UI broken.

39 minutes ago, phosit said:

There are GUI mod's which edit the main menu for those a restart is required. But they likely don't make/mark the game as incompatible. So those are not a problem.

Mod's which only add a map or change the gameplay, should be (automaticly) loaded when entering a (pre-)game.

Changing the scripts means possibly you would get into an in between state if they have global state and isn't great IMHO. Also the VFS doesn't really support adding new files automatically.

We could make it work for "pure map mod's". IIRC Scenarios and Skirimish map's don't contain scripts and the random map script are already mostly run while a game does start (not at the start of 0ad). Random maps which run code after start (like triggers) might be harder.

Edited by phosit

25 minutes ago, phosit said:

IIRC Scenarios and Skirimish map's  don't contain scripts 

That's incorrect :) You can load scripts (in fact I do it a lot in my trailer tools mod) And there is also also a special script tag in the map xml you can use.

14 minutes ago, hyperion said:

First of all you need to add mod unloading support, but rewriting larger portions VFS without <filesystem> seems not attractive enough to me.

Yeah as long as we keep supporting macos 10.13 we're kinda stuck. Not sure what's the minimum gcc we support, iirc gcc8 

3 hours ago, Stan&#x60; said:

The reason the map is reset is not to trigger errors or break gamesetup. I think wraitii patched the symptoms, but joining a match where you didn't have the map used to make the UI broken.

game/map reset is annoying as f.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, hyperion said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS_High_Sierra says unsupported since 2020, not familiar enough with mac land but this sounds like we might be able to drop support as well. Similarly Windows 7 and soon Windows 8 as well a 32 bit builds.

Sadly anything above that 10.14 also triggers random unpredictable lags with the game causing massive frame rate drops and huge ram and swap usage (up to 29GB last time someone let it run) And diagnosing that is tricky at best..

IIRC 10.13 might be enough. 

For Windows we'll see but we're not ready any time soon.

• 3 weeks later...