Jump to content
  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Yes but it might not be the reason they freeze here, I think in your video it's mostly elephants pushing on each other's butts so they have a hard time facing the right direction and continue walking. Or maybe trying to reach a waypoint - a intermediate path goal, given by pathfinder -, but since a bunch of elephants are in the way, they wait trying to reach it. I think I can try to make these better. However I'll disclaim once again that this new "solid" propriety was designed for rare units, to have a very visible superiority when they collide with normal smaller units. So a large herd of elephants that get this "solid", will always be less agile then other units : they are not made to be in large groups. 
    • A question came to mind while watching this freezing behavior: do elephants also receive that small "stun" when they are pushed? I wonder if that could be what causes some of the elephants to get stuck. An elephant gets pushed constantly and therefore never manages to leave the stunned state, making it look like it has stopped moving altogether.
    • @Atrik, I tested the latest changes you pushed in commit aec6e57f96 The elephant blob looks really good to me. There are still some small bouncing effects, but it seems to be improving in the right direction. As for movement around corners and through narrow paths, the behavior is still failing too often. I've included some videos of the tests I ran: Ele blob test Walking around corners and through narrow path: First test, no micro at all:   In this second example, I helped them with some micro to get them to their destination. The results are better, but I still see it failing quite often. And paradoxically, the group without any micro performed better than the group I microed.   As for moving through narrow paths, I got similar results to the previous test. The elephants get stuck at the entrance to the narrow path, and after a few attempts, some of them stop moving completely, permanently blocking the other elephants from getting through. It can also be seen that some of them get stuck on each other in an open area, significantly slowing down a group of them well before they reach the narrow area with the houses. In this second attempt, I helped them spread out a bit and enter through different spots, but the result was more or less the same. Something strange also happened with the group at the top. I assume this is a pathfinder issue. For some reason, the elephants at the back of the group decide that the best path is to go around the forest. As a result, one of them runs into another elephant that is heading in the right direction, and the "elephanting" begins ( aka "elefant traffic jam" )    In this last test, I send them back from the base. Look at what happens with the group at the top. One elephant tries to join the "path line", so to speak, and after a couple of bounces, it rebels and decides to stop moving altogether. As a good emperor, I ended up executing it.  I'm a bit short on time, so I wrote this rather quickly and haven't been able to go into much more detail. I hope this is still useful for continuing to improve the PR. 
    • By uploading photos frequently, you'll have a guaranteed audience.
×
×
  • Create New...