Sign in to follow this  
DarkAngelBGE

What books are you reading these days?

I was serious actually... he was from like the mid to late nineteenth century right? The "American dream" guy?

Anyhow, I'm now on the Aenied, Fitzgerald translation. I'm not half way done yet, but I'm really liking it. And since I've never heard it before, it's cool to read sort of an epic poem that you never knew existed.

Basically the Aenied is the story of how the people of Troy, after the Trojan war, escape their land and sail around for a long time facing tribulations until they eventually settle Italy, and their descendants go on to form the Roman Empire. It was written by Virgil, a Roman, and there's a good chance he made a good part of it up, as the purpose of the piece was Roman nationalism. Anyhow, it's a great story so far.

Presently I am reading "Feathered Serpent" by Colin Falconer, fun book about the conquest of Mexico by the Spanish. I also just finished "Birds of Prey" by Wilbur Smith, set in the 17th century during the reign of Charles the Second. Ship battles and swordfights aplenty :king: Another one I read recently and really enjoyed was "The Runaway Jury" by John Grisham.

Asimov's Caves of Steel, so I can get through the robot novels and read the Foundation series.

Also reading Harry Pottie VI because, it's been banned by the Pope. :king: bite me

I'm reading (for about the fourth time) the best book since LotR: A Canticle for Liebowitz by (frank?) Miller. It's about thses monks that preserve humanities knowledge after a nuclear war. Basically it's like the Middle Ages with mutants only better. :)

I just finished "This Present Darkness" by Frank Perrati.

EDIT:

Black Knight:

Yeah, I looked it up on my Library Website, and it's Walter Miller. It seems like a cool book, I'm ordering it.

Edited by Clodhopper

For AP English we're reading the Canterbury tales. Our teacher said we would be suprised at how raunchy (idk how to spell it, but that's the word) it was, but I had no idea. It's like a medieval version of Ren and Stimpy with more sex.