Sign in to follow this  
wowgetoffyourcellphone

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey & Titan Quest -- Art Inspiration Thread

On 7/7/2019 at 2:35 PM, LordGood said:

What, your family murdered by tents or something?

Looks nice, was made by very skilled artists working like slaves in some instances. Only thing I’m opposed to here is the milking of AC

Yeah, I don't know why the Agora wouldn't have been blanketed in market stalls and tents/canopies on any standard market day. They didn't run foot races down the middle of the Agora every day, @Anaxandridas ho Skandiates. I was a bustling a thriving market in the heart of the city. The fact that they bothered to model the Stoa of Zeus, Temple of Hephaistos, and the Painted Stoa, among other architectural notables is a big plus in my book as well. They didn't have to even go that far, since we know the masses don't care about accuracy, but they did. :)

2000?cb=20190118160149&key=b669e9b6c4819

And the Acropolis isn't overly fanciful. They have the Parthenon situated correctly and wonderfully modeled and detailed, they have the Erechtheon modeled accurately. Athena Promachos is too large and lavish (by a factor of 2), but the fact they included all these details at all is great.

acropolis.jpg&key=4e2d22f008532348b93786

One thing I like is how colorful everything is. Buildings have colorful plaster, people wear colorful tunics and robes. Walls are covered in frescoes. 

My family was not murdered by tents but rather by obstinate comments from drunken halfwits on wildfiregames.com :wheelchair:

I already called on the hellenistic markets to be fixed to appear orderly like the roman market is.

You don't build tents on the agora, because it is paved. Why would you want to carry and stick in-between tiles poles and setup for tents and similar structures, ruining the agora/forum pavement every single time there is a market. You don't just allow the peasants to make an encampment on the main square, that would be foolish. Instead you give each a slot and ask them to keep it clean and fine them if they don't.

Instead you suspend white/grey simple sheets of linen from the columns of the surrounding (and freestanding) structures. Then you just need a ladder, rope and linen. For long stretches of linen along, say, a colonnade, you would have a few regularly spaced designated slots for the "spear" that holds the stretched linen up. The market stalls would have their fix places and agreed-upon-occupants.

Having gone through all the pains to create a civilized city with an architectural programme do you not think the magistrates would have bothered to promulgate some guidelines for the market stalls and drapes to not completely gypsify the place, but have some uniform arrangement.

If you find some fresco or mosaic image of an agora market that looks like the Romanian peasant village camp above, feel free to share it and I will of course submit to the superior argument. The ones from Magna Graecia (google 'Pompeii forum market fresco') show lots of columns with garlands inbetween, people sitting about presumably in the shade of buildings, presenting their wares. Not like gypsy camp, not like Disney's Aladdin, but like market, in civilization.

with love to @wowgetoffyourcellphone and @LordGood. Know people love their tents and carpets, can't have 'em except in rural and military camps though, if you want to give a realistic impression. If anywhere thick carpet-like drapes would have been part of the "flooring" keeping bugs out of the tents of Alexander and other hellenistic princes and or wealthy officers. Unfortunately like the interior of palaces, they do not really show in the game which mainly shows exteriors ( @Stan` considerations above interesting to you too, maybe?)

Edited by Anaxandridas ho Skandiates

2 hours ago, Anaxandridas ho Skandiates said:

Unfortunately like the interior of palaces, they do not really show in the game which mainly shows exteriors ( @Stan` considerations above interesting to you too, maybe?) 

The discovery tour for AC: Odyssey will be available this fall.

There are some videos about missions in interior places but... I don't think you will like it:

• Like 2

Oh I like it, just need to convert it to a counterstrike map, and then  "COUNTER TERRORISTS WIN"

But no, that video looks okay with the interior. All the burning tripods and vases outside and the facade and proportions are trash. Some odd irrational stuff being stored inside and strange use of space, but odd people were around in antiquity as well.

I am happy we only have to deal with exteriors in 0 A.D. - but the same process would apply for indoors, and we have PLENTY, PLENTY of interior architecture depictions and ruins to show exactly how they lived. And no blasted carpets ever bothered their sleep, but Aladdin liked to put them on his flat house roof terrace - most important thing though: Make a roof that it can rain through like in that video - that will make sure them stupid filthy expensive carpets will last you a lifetime now that you spent a fortune importing them :wallbash:.

Also, make sure all the columns in your garden support nothing but just stand their lookin' cool and fancy in all their out-of-proportion glory.

Edited by Anaxandridas ho Skandiates