An Archer Animation Proposal

You want to draw in one motion, the sooner you stiffen your left arm and bring the weight into your right into your shoulder the better. Half-drawing would be unstable and tiring. dropping of your right wrist should be the only indicator of shooting, and the stance is way too wide.

lol I shot for two years, that would absolutely kill my shoulder after a few shots, and those arrows would be all over the place.

Well yeah, that's a start. The stance is pretty wide and your archer really shouldn't break line of sight with his target. A well trained archer should know how to reload his bow without looking. You could try looking at eastern/western follow throughs for after shooting an arrow, it could be as simple as holding the bow up for a split second after shooting

also, irrelevant, but I have an excuse to post this

post-14999-0-34528400-1419838662_thumb.g

ha

but somewhat related, you could animate the bow too if you're feeling ambitious, just have your keyframe percentages between set up shooting and follow through sync up to the bow's.

unicorn longbow's normals are inside out

eeeh

Well yeah, that's a start. The stance is pretty wide and your archer really shouldn't break line of sight with his target. A well trained archer should know how to reload his bow without looking. You could try looking at eastern/western follow throughs for after shooting an arrow, it could be as simple as holding the bow up for a split second after shooting

also, irrelevant, but I have an excuse to post this

attachicon.gifclip0017.gif

ha

but somewhat related, you could animate the bow too if you're feeling ambitious, just have your keyframe percentages between set up shooting and follow through sync up to the bow's.

unicorn longbow's normals are inside out

eeeh

I'll animate the bow if it gets into the game :P I attached my reference. On your pony one they actually look down, are ponies bad archers ? :P

The biggest difference with the Mongolian draw is the use of the thumb instead of 3 fingers to draw the string - note in the Manchu archery video, the thumb ring which is used to protect the thumb. Of course, that's not going to show in the game animation.

Well we don't have Mongols for now. But if you look closely at my anim you'll see that the hand is opening. Therefore, adding a ring to the thumb is easy, and we could do it.

Mon film.mp4

Edited by stanislas69

Well we don't have Mongols for now

The Han used the Mongol draw ;) as do most cultures east of India as well as the Turks,

an other difference is the side of the bow the arrow is set your ani shows Mongol style ie. arrow on the finger side this is important as do so with the three finger draw causes the arrow to swing into your face off the bow shelf.

Enjoy the Choice :)

Edited by Loki1950

Way too many polys in the mesh though it does indeed look good in the Unity game engine but no arrow shown and the draw looks rather shallow and kinda abstract but it does say a WIP.

Enjoy the Choice :)

Yes, I think her draw is aimed at an enemy at medium or close distance. In the game maybe we can have 2 or 3 animations, for 2 or 3 distances? A long range archer animation would look a lot different than when shooting at a closer targets.