Jump to content

Should we go towards less units on screen (but keep similar gameplay)?


BeTe
 Share

Recommended Posts

I think also that there is unlimited potential for both skill and strategy in aoe2. If we compare it to aoe4 for example we see the dos and don'ts for making a great rts. Each strategy in aoe2 also rewards skill development to execute them better, which enables a pro scene but also enhances replayability for lower level players. Ranged units don't always hit, you need to manage them to maximize their efficacy. If you open a gate it stays open until it can close, so you can put a unit there to hold it open. In aoe4 strategies are formed just by a tree of choices with limited room for differences in execution beyond the basic mechanics. How lame is it in aoe4 that ranged units always hit and that gates are a 100% effective passive filter for your units?

I guess I've harped on this before lol

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

AOE2 is also popular because rush, turtle, and boom are all viable options. 

Yeah I guess this circles back to the boom = turtle discussion. I think 0ad needs a both more opportunities for early aggression and more means to counter said early aggression. That is to say add a bit more risk and reward with regard to booming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Yeah, even 0 A.D.'s "turtling" doesn't feel like much of a turtle. To me, it's about layers of defenses, walls, towers, etc. Sure, you see Fortress and tower pushes, but that's not turtling to me. 0 A.D.'s exceptionally wide placement minimum for towers and fortresses doesn't feel like turtling to me. 

I always try to turtle up, but before I can get walls up the AI attacks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 30/08/2024 at 5:14 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Yeah, even 0 A.D.'s "turtling" doesn't feel like much of a turtle. To me, it's about layers of defenses, walls, towers, etc. Sure, you see Fortress and tower pushes, but that's not turtling to me. 0 A.D.'s exceptionally wide placement minimum for towers and fortresses doesn't feel like turtling to me. 

You have to balance that whole system, I played AoM these months and I saw those details.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...