Should we go towards less units on screen (but keep similar gameplay)?

BeTe

On 24/07/2024 at 4:34 PM, Boudica said:

APM and Gameplay Style: Fast economic growth (booming) requires high APM (actions per minute). Many players, especially those who aren't pros, find it easier to focus on either growing their economy or fighting, but not both simultaneously. As a result, they often switch from economic growth to combat at a certain point. Engaging all units in battle means there's less economic management needed.

I think Age of empires 2 so popular because it encourages players to opt for a combination of economic growth and military aggression.

• Like 3

I think also that there is unlimited potential for both skill and strategy in aoe2. If we compare it to aoe4 for example we see the dos and don'ts for making a great rts. Each strategy in aoe2 also rewards skill development to execute them better, which enables a pro scene but also enhances replayability for lower level players. Ranged units don't always hit, you need to manage them to maximize their efficacy. If you open a gate it stays open until it can close, so you can put a unit there to hold it open. In aoe4 strategies are formed just by a tree of choices with limited room for differences in execution beyond the basic mechanics. How lame is it in aoe4 that ranged units always hit and that gates are a 100% effective passive filter for your units?

I guess I've harped on this before lol

• Like 2

21 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

AOE2 is also popular because rush, turtle, and boom are all viable options. 

Yeah I guess this circles back to the boom = turtle discussion. I think 0ad needs a both more opportunities for early aggression and more means to counter said early aggression. That is to say add a bit more risk and reward with regard to booming.

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Yeah, even 0 A.D.'s "turtling" doesn't feel like much of a turtle. To me, it's about layers of defenses, walls, towers, etc. Sure, you see Fortress and tower pushes, but that's not turtling to me. 0 A.D.'s exceptionally wide placement minimum for towers and fortresses doesn't feel like turtling to me. 

I always try to turtle up, but before I can get walls up the AI attacks.