Archaeological potpourri

17 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

roman-stylus.jpeg

I had to cross-check this. actually, the latin inscription is not very ironic and basically says that the giver couldn't afford bringing a better gift.

still, very nice discovery. I felt it.

• Like 1

@alre I like that you cross-checked it. But I'm not sure if we can discern from the written Latin how ironic it was meant. When I think of all the dongs on Hadrian's wall or the graffiti in Pompeii I get the feeling they were a pretty mischievous bunch. ;)

(Reading up on the dongs they supposedly were meant to ward off bad luck...)

• Like 1

@Genava55 I heard about it yesterday on Deutschlandfunk and also meant to post about it.

What I found interesting is A: that finds are skewed because flintstone arrowheads can't be found with metal detectors. And B: they figured from the arrowheads that the group from the south attacked at a bridge, were repelled, fled downstream where they were shot down with northern arrows.

Here's the Antiquity article: https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/antiquity/article/warriors-from-the-south-arrowheads-from-the-tollense-valley-and-central-europe/C4F6ECB759833BFD337D37ADAE564C4B#article