Application - jorellaf

jorellaf

Position: Historian, linguistics consultant, text editor (not in the list of openings, but I have seen a few things that could be very much improved)

Do you understand that Wildfire Games is a non-commercial project, work for 0 A.D. is volunteer, and work is done for free? Yes

Do you agree to distribute all your work for Wildfire Games under Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license? Yes

Are you sure you are not wanting to work on something programming related? (Then you don't need to send in an application form.) Yes

Name: jorellaf

Email: contact jorellaf com

Availability: 1-4, depending on the week

Skills and Experience: PhD in archaeology, in-prep papers in ancient history, work in other historical mods, intermediate Ancient Greek, some Welsh, programming in various languages, from Python to C++.

Motivation: I have had an interest in ancient history for a long time

Personality: Affable but also hot-tempered judgemental nitpicking perfectionist with a sense of humour.

Short Essay: Can't remember when I first heard of 0 A.D., but I've played on and off since around 2016-2017. Wanted to work on such a nice open-source project, and contribute my own knowledge to help out wherever I can, especially when it comes to improving things. I like to point out issues and help correct them, which also drives me to do research whenever I feel something is not right. I try not to be an eternal downer, and like to construct rather than destruct (not a word probably). I'm a friendly person, I swear! ;)

Interests and Hobbies: Ancient history, archaeology, illustration, drawing, folk and ancient music (beginner, can't play instruments properly worth a crap), aviation, historical linguistics, Celtic languages.

Staff: Nyet.

Community: RTW Discord, Total War Centre, Total War org, not very active normally unless I'm helping out.

Favorite Game: Currently: Rome: Total War with RTR? All time: perhaps RTW with EB? Hegemony I and/or III? EU3 with MEIOU? Hard to say really.

Work Examples: See, e.g. here, here, also made the faction logo, though trying to rework it for another illustration cause it's kinda crap. Working on the RTR8 team (made the game launcher too).

• Thanks 2

Welcome to the forums :) 

16 minutes ago, jorellaf said:

Personality: Affable but also hot-tempered judgemental nitpicking perfectionist with a sense of humour.

Unfortunately, we already have some of these :P

I'll let @Stan` explain more of the onboarding process, I think, but on a macro level there are multiple ways you can contribute:

• In the forums, there are many discussions on a number of historical topics, including e.g. whether our art is historically accurate, civilisation rosters, the names of units, specific wonders that we could use, and really a number of other things. I'll point you to posts by e.g. @Sundiata , @Nescio or @Genava55 (amongs others, obviously).
    • I think art review in particular might be of interest to you, and we have a whole forum dedicated to it
  • We use Phabricator to make and review patches: https://code.wildfiregames.com. This include actual code patches, but also data files (thus texts). You'll find more information here https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GettingStartedProgrammers
  • we also have an IRC chat room (see wiki page above).

Hello and welcome!

First of all, you don't have to be a team member to be able to contribute, in principle anyone could; a formal application is not necessary, though it is a nice way of introducing yourself. :)

38 minutes ago, jorellaf said:

Historian, linguistics consultant, text editor (not in the list of openings, but I have seen a few things that could be very much improved)

Indeed, there are many things that could and should be improved. 0 A.D. has been in development for about two decades and numerous people have contributed, not always with the same standards. As a consequence there are numerous things that are of inferior quality, inconsistent, or incorrect. More help is certainly welcome!

When writing user-facing texts, please consult the https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/EnglishStyleGuide

38 minutes ago, jorellaf said:

I like to point out issues and help correct them, which also drives me to do research whenever I feel something is not right.

This is exactly how things (ought to) work in 0 A.D.! Don't limit yourself to only tasks with open tickets. It's very much a bottom-up project, people work on whatever they like whenever they like, with the aim of improving the game.

48 minutes ago, jorellaf said:

and like to construct rather than destruct (not a word probably)

Both construct and destruct are proper words, as is deconstruct.

40 minutes ago, jorellaf said:

Work Examples: See, e.g. here, here,

I'd love to see the Armenians included in 0 A.D. at some point, though that's something for the distant future.

Some additional questions:

1 hour ago, jorellaf said:

Position: Historian, linguistics consultant, text editor (not in the list of openings, but I have seen a few things that could be very much improved)

Do you understand that Wildfire Games is a non-commercial project, work for 0 A.D. is volunteer, and work is done for free? Yes

Do you agree to distribute all your work for Wildfire Games under Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license? Yes

Are you sure you are not wanting to work on something programming related? (Then you don't need to send in an application form.) Yes

Skills and Experience: PhD in archaeology, in-prep papers in ancient history, work in other historical mods, intermediate Ancient Greek, some Welsh, programming in various languages, from Python to C++.

Short Essay: Can't remember when I first heard of 0 A.D., but I've played on and off since around 2016-2017. Wanted to work on such a nice open-source project, and contribute my own knowledge to help out wherever I can, especially when it comes to improving things. I like to point out issues and help correct them, which also drives me to do research whenever I feel something is not right. I try not to be an eternal downer, and like to construct rather than destruct (not a word probably). I'm a friendly person, I swear! ;)

Interests and Hobbies: Ancient history, archaeology, illustration, drawing, folk and ancient music (beginner, can't play instruments properly worth a crap), aviation, historical linguistics, Celtic languages.

Community: RTW Discord, Total War Centre, Total War org, not very active normally unless I'm helping out.

Favorite Game: Currently: Rome: Total War with RTR? All time: perhaps RTW with EB? Hegemony I and/or III? EU3 with MEIOU? Hard to say really.

Work Examples: See, e.g. here, here, also made the faction logo, though trying to rework it for another illustration cause it's kinda crap. Working on the RTR8 team (made the game launcher too).

Hi, welcome aboard.

I am currently participating in Europa Barbarorum II mod and a bit in Crossing the Rubicon (Bannerlord) mostly for Celtic archaeology. What are your skill with language and more particularly Celtic language?

Personally I am not contributing to the models and the scripts here. I am not enough familiar with javascript, I am mostly working with python and SQL for GIS and other spatial databases. And learning java and javascript do not fit in my schedule for the moment.

1 hour ago, wraitii said:

Welcome to the forums :) 

Thank you!

Unfortunately, we already have some of these

There goes my application then. Haha. :angry:

I'll let @Stan` explain more of the onboarding process, I think, but on a macro level there are multiple ways you can contribute:

• In the forums, there are many discussions on a number of historical topics, including e.g. whether our art is historically accurate, civilisation rosters, the names of units, specific wonders that we could use, and really a number of other things. I'll point you to posts by e.g. @Sundiata , @Nescio or @Genava55 (amongs others, obviously).
    • I think art review in particular might be of interest to you, and we have a whole forum dedicated to it
  • We use Phabricator to make and review patches: https://code.wildfiregames.com. This include actual code patches, but also data files (thus texts). You'll find more information here https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GettingStartedProgrammers

Thank you, I will get deeper into things soon enough. Ought to be working right now.

42 minutes ago, Nescio said:

First of all, you don't have to be a team member to be able to contribute, in principle anyone could; a formal application is not necessary, though it is a nice way of introducing yourself.

Thank you, though I'd like to be a team member regardless, just for the fun of it.

Indeed, there are many things that could and should be improved. 0 A.D. has been in development for about two decades and numerous people have contributed, not always with the same standards. As a consequence there are numerous things that are of inferior quality, inconsistent, or incorrect. More help is certainly welcome!

When writing user-facing texts, please consult the https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/EnglishStyleGuide

Thank you. I will take a look at it. Is the website also handled open source? There's a few outdated info there too.

Both construct and destruct are proper words, as is deconstruct.

I could indeed start applying some Derrida, but I doubt it would be all that productive for development. :laugh:

Some additional questions:

W10; yes both, using Tortoises; nope, but I can do that soon.
You use SVN right? I'm familiar with it, and could checkout the repo when I have a bit more time.

I am currently participating in Europa Barbarorum II mod and a bit in Crossing the Rubicon (Bannerlord) mostly for Celtic archaeology. What are your skill with language and more particularly Celtic language?

I speak some Welsh, know plenty of the grammar of both Brittonic and Goidelic languages, speak a Romance language, and a tiny bit of Latin (useful if you accept Italo-Celtic :laugh:). Have some experience with historical linguistics (see here, and a tiny bit of work here) Not all that much, but it could be useful for a couple of things I feel.

Edited by jorellaf

6 minutes ago, jorellaf said:

I speak some Welsh, know plenty of the grammar of both Brittonic and Goidelic languages, speak a Romance language, and a tiny bit of Latin (useful if you accept Italo-Celtic :laugh:). Not all that much, but it could be useful for a couple of things I feel.

Well I am trying to introduce Gaulish instead of the modern Celtic language in the name of the units and of the buildings. I have a dictionary for Gaulish, but obviously some words needed for the buildings are not attested so I made-up some words with different roots. I am not confident with Indo-European grammar, so this is why I asked.

1 minute ago, Genava55 said:

Well I am trying to introduce Gaulish instead of the modern Celtic language in the name of the units and of the buildings. I have a dictionary for Gaulish, but obviously some words needed for the buildings are not attested so I made-up some words with different roots. I am not confident with Indo-European grammar, so this is why I asked.

Perfect! I was also a bit weirded out by the modern Welsh building names, and it was basically what drove me to apply. I do have a tiny bit of experience with IE grammar from a course I took a few years ago, but nothing that I could be completely confident about.

Greetings, and welcome to the forums!

27 minutes ago, jorellaf said:

Thank you, I will get deeper into things soon enough. Ought to be working right now.

Good! Let me know if you have any questions, or if something sounds strange or weird :)

28 minutes ago, jorellaf said:

Thank you, though I'd like to be a team member regardless, just for the fun of it.

Takes some contributions first, but we had some historians. @feneur was probably around :D (Might want to leave the spammer post limit if it's not done already)

29 minutes ago, jorellaf said:

Thank you. I will take a look at it. Is the website also handled open source? There's a few outdated info there too.

Yeah sure, you can edit trac pages :)  for the website we don't have an easy contribution process, but you can make suggestions for sure.

30 minutes ago, jorellaf said:

W10; yes both, using Tortoises; nope, but I can do that soon.
You use SVN right? I'm familiar with it, and could checkout the repo when I have a bit more time.

SVN and Git mirrors On Gitlab and Github, with the only difference that git is updated once per day. We use arcanist for contributions, but we can delve into that later, and you can use the webinterface of code.wildfiregames.com for the time being;

PS: If you speak welsh well enough, or know people who do,  you can also help adding the translation in the language https://www.transifex.com/wildfire-games/0ad/language/cy/

4 hours ago, jorellaf said:

Welcome to the forums and club of volunteers with similar hobbies,

most of the things I wanted to say  were already mentioned but also you can contribute by translating the game which I do also over at https://www.transifex.com/wildfire-games/0ad/   

Similar places I am active and not active too depending on my work or if i am in countryside.

Nice work. I did write few papers too but they mainly focus on security, financial and bank sector so unfortunately, they are under watchful eye and if anyone wants to read them they need have permission from me and my university because they are not public and could be made public by my university after 5-10 years. 

22 hours ago, Stan` said:

PS: If you speak welsh well enough, or know people who do,  you can also help adding the translation in the language https://www.transifex.com/wildfire-games/0ad/language/cy/

Thanks! I've already started with this.

23 hours ago, Nescio said:

Have you tried installing and running the development version (see https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/BuildInstructions )?

Got it working fine (after unhelpfully pestering you :wallbash:). Ready for debugging and making changes.

19 hours ago, asterix said:

Nice work.

Thanks! I wrote this stuff almost a decade ago, but it's a decent example, even if I think there's plenty of stuff I would change now.

On 17/02/2021 at 11:27 AM, wraitii said:

In the forums, there are many discussions on a number of historical topics, including e.g. whether our art is historically accurate, civilisation rosters, the names of units, specific wonders that we could use, and really a number of other things. I'll point you to posts by e.g. @Sundiata , @Nescio or @Genava55 (amongs others, obviously).

Will start checking after I keep translating some more.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jorellaf said:

Got it working fine (after unhelpfully pestering you :wallbash:). Ready for debugging and making changes.

You should play the development version and familiarize yourself with the repository (see https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Finding_Your_Way_Around for more details). The core engine (pyrogenesis) is written in C++ and located under source/ Whenever something is changed there the game needs to be recompiled.

Nearly all user-facing stuff is located under binaries/data/mods/public/ and mostly written in JavaScript, JSON, or XML. It's designed to be easily modifiable, all you need to do is restart the game for changes to take effect. You can also experiment with things in separate mods.

When making differentials to upload at https://code.wildfiregames.com/ , always generate them from the root (i.e. where binaries/, libraries/, and source/ are located).