Keep loosing single player

NZBloke

Feel stupid asking this... lol. I am a noob. Found this game yesterday. I have played these types of games in the past and played okay to good.

In single player mode though, I have just built houses and farms and got good resources, upgraded centre to two, when the enemy army arrives and wipes me out. The stats are well over double to three times my resources collected and troops created. I have no idea how they build up so fast within minutes. I even dropped enemy to easy and he appeared and wiped me out in less than half an hour. Grateful for any suggestions. Don't laugh at me. lol!  :)

Welcome to the forums! Don't worry, more people have complained about single player difficulty for beginners. On the other hand, experienced players often complain about how easy the bot is to defeat (or even more of them and at higher difficulty settings). So perhaps it can be just that the game isn't the easiest to learn.

Anyway, there are some articles with useful hints for beginners. I could recommend reading The road to expert (see topic below). Other than that, watching experienced players play in observer mode can give you a great idea of what (not) to do. You can even find interesting game replay files here on the forums, so you can watch them whenever you decide. Enjoy the choice.

I think I won't go into any specific gameplay details here because everything has probably been written elsewhere already. ;)

• Like 1

Hi there! Have you been playing other RTS games before? Or any similar games?

0 A.D. has an AI that can be a bit tricky. But if you are interested in how the AI works, try to set up a match with both AIs, pitting them against each other. Watch what they do with starting units. Note what they build and train and when, when do they upgrade things, when do they attack.

You can see that the AI does not cheat (unless on higher than Medium, they received extra resource I think). They are not very fast, but they are consistent. They never stop exploring. The units are never idle, always working on something, always building or gathering something. The buildings never stop pumping out units, but they research only when they have extra resources. They build markets and trade, exchanging resources when they low on something. You can see later that these are an obvious thing to do, but hard to do right.

If you feel even the Very Easy AI is still hard for you, just use Sandbox mode. This is the easiest one, since the AI enemy don't attack and expand, so you can play in peace. This is the chance to practice what you've learned before. Try to set targets like create 50 soldiers, or reach City phase. Then try to do it quick. After that, if you already feel confident, try the Very Easy enemy again.

I admit that I'm not a competitive player, just a fellow RTS game enthusiast that loves building things up and imagining what it feels like to be an ancient general. I know the shock of being steamrolled by AI on my first 0 A.D. game a decade ago. It sucked, but it piqued my interest. How could this lowly robot destroyed me. That's how I learned to be better and enjoy the game more. So, keep practicing and good luck on defeating the AI!

• Like 1

Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to answer. I really appreciate it. Yes, I have been playing these types of games for years. I remember loving the very first command and conquer....  1st Warcraft, age of empires etc etc... right through the next versions.... (Still play my old version of C&C Generals lol) I have never had any problem playing any of them. I just couldn't believe the summary at the end how much more resources the enemy had collected than me, yet all I had done was gather resources and build new people to gather more resources....  These are two awesome answers that I can look into. Cheers. Thanks again!

(Just read the guide. Very close to what I was doing, but I just think more food and wood gathering needed. I was also building walls and towers straight after upgrading to level 2. Didn't know how to send archers into them. So I think I wasted a lot of time building def and barracks early.)

Edited by NZBloke
  • Like 2

I seem to be getting better at it now.  :)  Just a quick question. When getting attacked, I know about the bell. Brings all ladies in. Is there a way to bring all soldiers back to defend, then after the battle, one click to send them back to what they were doing? Thanks.

2 hours ago, NZBloke said:

I seem to be getting better at it now.  :)  Just a quick question. When getting attacked, I know about the bell. Brings all ladies in. Is there a way to bring all soldiers back to defend, then after the battle, one click to send them back to what they were doing? Thanks.

Planned for now.

1 hour ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

In this case isvinverse, back to fight.

He also wants to send them back to work in the end but yeah, if he wants his soldiers to fight he can select them maintaining Alt and circling his economy, which will not select women.

Edited by Feldfeld

5 hours ago, Feldfeld said:

He also wants to send them back to work in the end but yeah, if he wants his soldiers to fight he can select them maintaining Alt and circling his economy, which will not select women.

Yes I know the hotkeys but the difference with new command is you can select all military ilde or not.

Be cool if there was a bell that was call to war, (ladies head inside) then another back to what you were doing. You would then need to move around the base to see which farms etc need reinforcing I guess.  Great to find the hotkey now for return to work. Thanks a lot.

Edited by NZBloke