Wagers/Tournaments for 0 A.D.

Wagers/tournaments for 0 A.D.  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested if you were able to play for money in 0 A.D. matches?

• Yes
    • No

I've been playing wagers/tournaments on games related to COD/warzone/fortnite for a few years now and would like to see some sort of wagering system here. Regular tournaments or ability to wager in games would make the game a lot more competitive and fun as you will actually be playing for something unlike now where the only option you have to play for something is points and that is limited to 1v1's.

How it would work:

Tournaments: We all send an entry fee of like $5 or more to someone to hold and they pay out the prize pool to winners.

Wagers: You either pair with someone on an enemy team and trust them to send money to you if you win OR send money to someone reputable to hold the money as a middleman. 

If this gets enough attention I may be able to get it implemented on a website like checkmategaming.com or theesportshub.com and it will be much easier to arrange wagers/tournaments.

Frankly, I am afraig that we might get more, and more serious, complaints about cheating or users leaving a game that they are about to loose. We are barely managing now even it is "only" about individual ratings. As soon as money is involved I am afraid we will see more issues.  Just my twocents (as a noob single player only, of course).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grautvornix said:

Frankly, I am afraig that we might get more, and more serious, complaints about cheating or users leaving a game that they are about to loose. We are barely managing now even it is "only" about individual ratings. As soon as money is involved I am afraid we will see more issues.  Just my twocents (as a noob single player only, of course).

Fair point.

What would be the difference between a sports competition with cash prizes and gambling?

As bad as times are, I wouldn't put in money that may be needed for something as basic as food.

The next few years will not be good economically in most parts of the world.

No money should be spent on something that is virtual in my opinion.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

15 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

What would be the difference between a sports competition with cash prizes and gambling?

As bad as times are, I wouldn't put in money that may be needed for something as basic as food.

The next few years will not be good economically in most parts of the world.

No money should be spent on something that is virtual in my opinion.

bruh has no one got money in crypto??

I mean if someone likes to do it - fine for me, thats those players buisness. Personally i think i would not be intrested because it would make 0 AD too serious, i would be bothered more by the outcome of the game, which is something i do not necessarily want for something i do for fun and escapism. After a game of 0 AD i dont want to go to bed and be mad bc i lost money etc. I also think it will lead to more conflicts inbetween players, especially given what past incidents i have witnessed, and also there would be trouble connected to the lack of infrastructure, authority and rule enforcement we have in our non-professional small community. Another issue would be the skill difference between players. Players who pay an entrance fee want at least an outside chance to win in the end, which will mean its gonna be tough to find many players willing to "bet" money. Another option that doesnt really seem promising due to a small community would be to use donations for prize funds, gathered through someone broadcasting the games, so the earning would kinda be a bonus. Consider that tournaments could have a non-monetary prize maybe, that is more about creativity and of symbolic value.

• Like 3

I used to think about creating a website for playing 0AD with cash prize,

I am not against it but I don't know how many players are even good enough to play competitive games, if money is involved things will get complicated, we need strict rules and infrastructure to implement them, I am not sure 0AD can control its players

the main reason I am not willing to play with money in 0AD is anyone can customize the game to their advantage, nobody has control.

I am seeing @Norse_Harold trying to impose law and order in game but failing because we got players that don't want law and order in a free and open source game.

3 hours ago, MarcusAureliu#s said:

I also think it will lead to more conflicts in between players, especially given what past incidents i have witnessed,

I think 0AD survives because of players consider each other as friends, money kills friendships at least argument about them. 

if people hate each other they won't show up to play 0AD.

If someone was sponsoring the tournaments that's another matter, no player is loosing money but winner gets a price, that would be nice but playing 0AD like a poker game will be bad, 

it is bad in real poker too that's why in many countries playing with money is illegal.

may be we should find some sponsors for that we have to create a community in social media like 

facebook instagram etc and be active in it always and keep promoting 0AD.

people use discord but I think it's like dark web, nobody will every find out we exit.

if 100 people are willing to do marketing for 0AD then the fate of 0AD will change.

money will flow in with it new programming Talents who can contribute to 0AD

• Like 4

1 hour ago, leopard said:

people use discord but I think it's like dark web, nobody will every find out we exit.

The type of people is like the dark web but the control that the Discord team has is like that of big tech.

It is very pro-censorship, but it should allow illegal things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leopard said:

if 100 people are willing to do marketing for 0AD then the fate of 0AD will change.

The problem is that times are bad in the West because of inflation on the one hand, so people have to spend more time surviving, on the other hand for young people this game is not what it is popular , by that I mean the RTS genre.

I don't know if this game can be promoted in North America. I have the feeling that young people(gen Z and alpha) are not interested in these types of games.

In Latin America it is always in fashion and even more so if you add a civ from the continent or see an exotic civ from Asia.

In Asia things are changing and power is shifting towards prosperity but it is not like they are not connected to West.

• Like 1

On 01/03/2024 at 3:15 PM, MarcusAureliu#s said:

I mean if someone likes to do it - fine for me, thats those players buisness. Personally i think i would not be intrested because it would make 0 AD too serious, i would be bothered more by the outcome of the game, which is something i do not necessarily want for something i do for fun and escapism. After a game of 0 AD i dont want to go to bed and be mad bc i lost money etc. I also think it will lead to more conflicts inbetween players, especially given what past incidents i have witnessed, and also there would be trouble connected to the lack of infrastructure, authority and rule enforcement we have in our non-professional small community. Another issue would be the skill difference between players. Players who pay an entrance fee want at least an outside chance to win in the end, which will mean its gonna be tough to find many players willing to "bet" money. Another option that doesnt really seem promising due to a small community would be to use donations for prize funds, gathered through someone broadcasting the games, so the earning would kinda be a bonus. Consider that tournaments could have a non-monetary prize maybe, that is more about creativity and of symbolic value.

You will get used to losing, trust me, but there would be no better feeling than enjoying 0 A.D. and winning money to go along with it. In terms of players skill gap, we can enforce balance similar to how we do TGs but obviously we will make sure its as balanced as possible. Playing for $5-10 is pretty chill and I don't see why anyone would have a problem with losing a game with that and it makes it more interesting as you aren't totally wasting your time playing. In addition to that, players will be more eager to improve making it more competitive thus making balancing easier in the future.

On 01/03/2024 at 6:45 PM, leopard said:

I used to think about creating a website for playing 0AD with cash prize,

I am not against it but I don't know how many players are even good enough to play competitive games, if money is involved things will get complicated, we need strict rules and infrastructure to implement them, I am not sure 0AD can control its players

the main reason I am not willing to play with money in 0AD is anyone can customize the game to their advantage, nobody has control.

I am seeing @Norse_Harold trying to impose law and order in game but failing because we got players that don't want law and order in a free and open source game.

I think 0AD survives because of players consider each other as friends, money kills friendships at least argument about them. 

if people hate each other they won't show up to play 0AD.

If someone was sponsoring the tournaments that's another matter, no player is loosing money but winner gets a price, that would be nice but playing 0AD like a poker game will be bad, 

it is bad in real poker too that's why in many countries playing with money is illegal.

may be we should find some sponsors for that we have to create a community in social media like 

facebook instagram etc and be active in it always and keep promoting 0AD.

money will flow in with it new programming Talents who can contribute to 0AD

You don't need to be good to play for money. Instead, you can just play with other lower level players. For example, I see @Norse_Haroldfrequently hosting TG's with lower level players so they could all play for money there and then OP players play against each other to ensure fair matches. In relations to your point about player's considering themselves as friends, I agree with that and you will obviously still be able to play the game for free/how it is now but implementing an opportunity to play for money would benefit 0 A.D. as it will motivate players to improve and grind the game to get better. 

Maybe wagers shouldn't be implemented straight away, instead we should create regular tournaments (on weekends depending on popularity) where we all contribute to a prize pool like you mentioned. 

To ensure no cheating happens, we can require players to stream their gameplay and if we suspect them cheating, we can review the footage and deal with it accordingly.

• Like 1

OK, point taken.

If there are good ideas how to guarantee hosted tournaments/multiplayer games remain fair and there is no cheating or the like (without moderator intervention), we should implement these features first - and all MP games would benefit immediately. We will see much less complaints then.

Next we can discuss / carefully introduce playing for money features for some games. I believe the entire process would need to be carefully defined. Potentially we can learn from other platfroms that already offer this feature.

Just, in my view, as long as we cannot avoid people complaining about unfair behaviour in rated MP games, playing for money would only increase tensions.

1 hour ago, Grautvornix said:

OK, point taken.

If there are good ideas how to guarantee hosted tournaments/multiplayer games remain fair and there is no cheating or the like (without moderator intervention), we should implement these features first - and all MP games would benefit immediately. We will see much less complaints then.

Next we can discuss / carefully introduce playing for money features for some games. I believe the entire process would need to be carefully defined. Potentially we can learn from other platfroms that already offer this feature.

Just, in my view, as long as we cannot avoid people complaining about unfair behaviour in rated MP games, playing for money would only increase tensions.

Requirement to stream every game played for money and problem solved