Building latest revision is currently broken for Linux

Riesi

Hello!

I am regularly playing 0ad with a friend. We decided to always play the latest Windows autobuild. This means I have to compile that revision for Linux.
And lately a few build issues due to missing includes or --pendantic not being happy happened.
Attached is a patch to fix the current build issues. Hopefully someone can apply this fix upstream.

I tried to figure out how to contribute, but Phabricator doesn't send me the verification email for my account. Hopefully I can make an account when the transition away from SVN and Phabricator is complete.
I was reading in the git transition thread that Gitea and CI is coming together, so a commit breaking Linux compilation should be less likely after that.

Kind regards,
Riesi

linux_build_fixes.patch

Edited by Riesi
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Riesi said:

Ok it was not -pendantic but just the compiler telling me that its related to -permissive.

Could you share your OS and compiler version?

On 24/11/2023 at 6:00 PM, Riesi said:

I was reading in the git transition thread that Gitea and CI is coming together, so a commit breaking Linux compilation should be less likely after that.

That shouldn't affect the compilation process, since it depends on a platform not CI infrastructure itself.

Thank you for making the upstream patch!
I am fine with "Riesi" as the credit.

Could the "invalid conversion" errors be from a newer GCC version (13.2.1)?
As for "#include <libxml/parser.h>" I am not sure why I get the error about missing declarations and you seemingly don't.

It would be great if all errors would be fixed upstream, but I am ok carrying fixes locally for a while too. Until a better solution is found.

Thanks again!

7 minutes ago, Riesi said:

Could the "invalid conversion" errors be from a newer GCC version (13.2.1)?

No, I also use GCC 13.2.1 from the arch repo ;)

I'll reinstall the complete git repo this weekend to see if that yields more errors. (Probably ./clean-workspace.sh didn't clean everything)

• Like 1

I presume this is the same issue I've been having? I could compile well on Linux for a long time, but suddenly the process no longer works! I thought it's an update in 0 A.D. Git, it may as well be something that changed in my Linux distro (I use Manjaro KDE). For me the error is:

make: *** [Makefile:271: output/debug/FCollada/FUtils/FUXmlDocument.o] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
./build.sh: line 28: die: command not found
ERROR: FCollada build failed

58 minutes ago, MirceaKitsune said:

I presume this is the same issue I've been having? I could compile well on Linux for a long time, but suddenly the process no longer works! I thought it's an update in 0 A.D. Git, it may as well be something that changed in my Linux distro (I use Manjaro KDE). For me the error is:

make: *** [Makefile:271: output/debug/FCollada/FUtils/FUXmlDocument.o] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
./build.sh: line 28: die: command not found
ERROR: FCollada build failed

It seems different from the original post. Could you share a full log (with the Collada compilation error)?

I also encounter new errors now:

../../../source/collada/XMLFix.cpp: In function ‘void FixBrokenXML(const char*, const char**, size_t*)’:
../../../source/collada/XMLFix.cpp:169:25: error: ‘xmlParseMemory’ was not declared in this scope
  169 |         xmlDocPtr doc = xmlParseMemory(text, (int)textSize);
      |                         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
make[1]: *** [Collada.make:162: obj/Collada_Release/XMLFix.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
../../../source/collada/CommonConvert.cpp: In constructor ‘FColladaErrorHandler::FColladaErrorHandler(std::string&)’:
../../../source/collada/CommonConvert.cpp:59:9: error: ‘xmlSetGenericErrorFunc’ was not declared in this scope
   59 |         xmlSetGenericErrorFunc(&xmlErrors, &errorHandler);
      |         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
../../../source/collada/CommonConvert.cpp: In destructor ‘FColladaErrorHandler::~FColladaErrorHandler()’:
../../../source/collada/CommonConvert.cpp:68:9: error: ‘xmlSetGenericErrorFunc’ was not declared in this scope
   68 |         xmlSetGenericErrorFunc(NULL, NULL);
      |         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
make[1]: *** [Collada.make:138: obj/Collada_Release/CommonConvert.o] Error 1

Which can be fixed by:

diff --git a/source/collada/XMLFix.cpp b/source/collada/XMLFix.cpp
index 2f1d67770e..39b8b08855 100644
--- a/source/collada/XMLFix.cpp
+++ b/source/collada/XMLFix.cpp
@@ -23,6 +23,8 @@

#include "FUtils/FUXmlParser.h"

+#include <libxml/parser.h>
+
 /*

Things that are fixed here:
diff --git a/source/collada/CommonConvert.cpp b/source/collada/CommonConvert.cpp
index 391fcf47f6..2a57cea395 100644
--- a/source/collada/CommonConvert.cpp
+++ b/source/collada/CommonConvert.cpp
@@ -30,6 +30,7 @@

#include <cassert>
 #include <algorithm>
+#include <libxml/xmlerror.h>

void require_(int line, bool value, const char* type, const char* message)
 {

On 03/12/2023 at 4:51 AM, vladislavbelov said:

It seems different from the original post. Could you share a full log (with the Collada compilation error)?

I think I reproduced their errors:

First error:
FCollada/FUtils/FUXmlDocument.cpp: In constructor ‘FUXmlDocument::FUXmlDocument(FUFileManager*, const fchar*, bool)’:
FCollada/FUtils/FUXmlDocument.cpp:39:39: error: ‘xmlParseMemory’ was not declared in this scope
   39 |                         xmlDocument = xmlParseMemory((const char*) fileData, (int)fileLength);
      |                                       ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCollada/FUtils/FUXmlDocument.cpp: In constructor ‘FUXmlDocument::FUXmlDocument(const char*, size_t)’:
FCollada/FUtils/FUXmlDocument.cpp:67:23: error: ‘xmlParseMemory’ was not declared in this scope
   67 |         xmlDocument = xmlParseMemory(data, (int)length);
      |                       ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from FCollada/FMath/FMath.h:44,
                 from FCollada/FUtils/FUtils.h:81:

Second error:               
FColladaPlugins/FArchiveXML/FArchiveXML.cpp: In member function ‘virtual bool FArchiveXML::EndExport(fm::vector<unsigned char>&)’:
FColladaPlugins/FArchiveXML/FArchiveXML.cpp:515:34: error: ‘xmlAllocOutputBuffer’ was not declared in this scope; did you mean ‘xmlOutputBuffer’?
  515 |         xmlOutputBufferPtr buf = xmlAllocOutputBuffer(NULL);
      |                                  ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      |                                  xmlOutputBuffer
FColladaPlugins/FArchiveXML/FArchiveXML.cpp:519:24: error: ‘xmlOutputBufferGetSize’ was not declared in this scope; did you mean ‘xmlOutputBufferPtr’?
  519 |         outData.resize(xmlOutputBufferGetSize(buf) * sizeof(xmlChar));
      |                        ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      |                        xmlOutputBufferPtr
FColladaPlugins/FArchiveXML/FArchiveXML.cpp:520:33: error: ‘xmlOutputBufferGetContent’ was not declared in this scope; did you mean ‘xmlOutputBufferPtr’?
  520 |         memcpy(outData.begin(), xmlOutputBufferGetContent(buf), outData.size());
      |                                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      |                                 xmlOutputBufferPtr
FColladaPlugins/FArchiveXML/FArchiveXML.cpp:526:9: error: ‘xmlOutputBufferClose’ was not declared in this scope; did you mean ‘xmlOutputBufferPtr’?
  526 |         xmlOutputBufferClose(buf);
      |         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      |         xmlOutputBufferPtr
In file included from FCollada/FCDocument/FCDocument.h:27,
                 from FColladaPlugins/FArchiveXML/FArchiveXML.h:21:

Fixing the first error is simple:

diff --git a/libraries/source/fcollada/src/FCollada/FUtils/FUXmlDocument.cpp b/libraries/source/fcollada/src/FCollada/FUtils/FUXmlDocument.cpp
index 5349249a87..2acf93006e 100644
--- a/libraries/source/fcollada/src/FCollada/FUtils/FUXmlDocument.cpp
+++ b/libraries/source/fcollada/src/FCollada/FUtils/FUXmlDocument.cpp
@@ -13,6 +13,8 @@
 #include "FUFile.h"
 #include "FCDocument/FCDocument.h"

+#include <libxml/parser.h>
+
 #define MAX_FILE_SIZE 10240000
 //
 // FUXmlDocument

The second is hard because the file has mixed line endings with a few lines not being CRLF but instead LF and `patch` not being happy when applying.
Imho the file should be fixed to either pure CRLF or LF.
Following patch needs to be applied in binary mode to not break on a "different line endings" error:

diff --git a/libraries/source/fcollada/src/FColladaPlugins/FArchiveXML/FArchiveXML.cpp b/libraries/source/fcollada/src/FColladaPlugins/FArchiveXML/FArchiveXML.cpp
index af67478960..99b64b9925 100644
--- a/libraries/source/fcollada/src/FColladaPlugins/FArchiveXML/FArchiveXML.cpp
+++ b/libraries/source/fcollada/src/FColladaPlugins/FArchiveXML/FArchiveXML.cpp
@@ -77,7 +77,7 @@
 #include "FCDocument/FCDVersion.h"
 #include "FUtils/FUXmlDocument.h"

-
+#include <libxml/xmlIO.h>
 //
 // Constants
 //

2 minutes ago, hyperion said:

What version of libxml2 are you using and is it an install from your package manager and with no local build in path?

I am using the one from my distro's (Arch) package manager, yes.

libxml2 2.12.1-1
Looking at the PKGBUILD file they base it on this commit:
git+https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/libxml2.git#commit=f4ac9926a463ecb628f73049e4fd7ecced8fb7cf