Sparta and stone walls.

Sun Wukong

15 minutes ago, LetswaveaBook said:

Sparta then could have a differentiation of -10% population, but Spartiates only require 1 population. They also get  other benefits for their champions, like a team bonus that also affects champion spear infantry.

I like this because right now the skirmisher+Skiritai emphasis for the Spartans doesn't make sense historically. Spartiates need to be a good solid percentage of the player's force. 

• Like 1

On 21/05/2023 at 12:48 AM, LetswaveaBook said:

I was thinking about a generic change: Champions cost -25% resources, but take 2 population. That would turn champions into affordable elite fighters to break the current system where CS soldiers are dominant.

Sparta then could have a differentiation of -10% population, but Spartiates only require 1 population. They also get  other benefits for their champions, like a team bonus that also affects champion spear infantry.

i like current champ system of being a pop save unit, ie 1 champ costs aprox 2x or more than a regular solider, is proportionally stronger per cost, but also gives population advnatage, ie x res invested in champs will give same power but half the pop cost.
your idea would ruin this, i think this differentiates them more than the idea of them being just better copies of regular units, that cant work.
there are several such units that sacrifice eco option for military advantage commitment, with cav being one in a sense but more literally mercs, champs, skiritai.
as well as perhaps ele.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, vinme said:

i like current champ system of being a pop save unit,

That is indeed the elements I was referring to. Currently the main benefit of champions is that they give over twice the strength per population cost.

I don't like that. This offers little incentive to use the Champions if you have extra population space. On the other extreme, it leads to strategies in team games where you build 40 champions and get a major advantage. I don't consider that a balanced system.

Anyway: This is getting off topic and lets agree to disagree (or ask @Norse_Haroldto split the topic).

I have lobbied a while ago for Spartans to simply be free yet cost 2 population and available to train at a slow pace at the appropriate building from the first phase.  On the flip side, there would be technologies that could significantly alter them, making them either powerful support units or more spammable mainline infantry.  

This isn't necessarily a good idea, but it does push a faction to be much more asymmetrical from its counterparts, which I think could make it in theory more flavourful and fun.  

Edited by Thorfinn the Shallow Minded
  • Like 2