Too few space for (long) German words

Obelix

Dear community,

as a German speaker normally I do not have problems with compounds (long terms). The publisher of Germanys best known dictionary, Duden, even has a special web page for that issue. But sometimes international projects give us compound-lovers not enough space in their translations. 0 A.D. is no different. I have to admit this isn't my first attempt in this topic.

This thread might be the space for future reporting of issues like the following:

The in-game 'Summary'equal if in the running game or after the victory of one of the players—contains many headings of columns. Well, you probably guess what my problem is ... Some words are cut at their beginning as well as at their ending.

• Summary1.png shows the first tab of the Summary, which contains the term 'Gesamtpunktzahl' (total points).
  • Summary2.png shows the second tab, which contains the terms 'Wirtschaftlich' (?!) and 'Verwaltungssitz' (CC).
  • Summary3.png shows the third tab, which contains the term 'Belagerungswaffen' (?!).
  • Summary4.png shows the sixths tab, containing 'Verhältnis Getötet/Gestorben', 'Kartenkontrolle (Spitzenwert)', 'Kartenkontrolle (Ende)' and 'Kartenerkundung'.
  • The other tabs are free from overlapping texts.

One could say: 'German translators: Just search shorter words!' But this doesn't always helps. The game must be understandable.

My proposal:

Please give space to the column headings.

1. Enlarge the space between the columns generally or do it language-dependent. Then it is easier to identify where a word ends and the other begins.
  2. Make the widths of column headings dynamic.

I am delighted to hear your feedback! Probably we can create a ticket after creating some mutual understanding.

Have a good evening, night, morning or afternoon—wherever you are!

Summary1.png

Summary2.png

Summary3.png

Summary4.png

• Like 1

No.

0ad acts like it is maximum supported and will not adjust gui when more space is available.

Minimum supported means something else.

Minimum supported would mean, if you have lower resolution you will have problems.

Maximum means if you have higher resolution you may have problems.

Right now. 1024x768 is only resolution.

14 minutes ago, Silier said:

0ad acts like it is maximum supported and will not adjust gui when more space is available.

Technically it's not true, 0ad adjusts some parts of UI for a window size (for example replay lists or centering options window). But I agree we have enough space for improvements.

19 minutes ago, Silier said:

Right now. 1024x768 is only resolution.

According to your logic it's also the not supported resolution as we have some problems for it as well :)

1 hour ago, Obelix said:

How may we describe a needed ticket?

Hi! I think we might make a dynamic layout: if we have width <= 1024 (or some min_width property) then we stick to the current layout else we extend a table accounting preferred widths of its columns (preferred means translated text width + some padding).