How to change behaviour of soldiers distracted by towers

alre

What do you think it would be the best behaviour of units being hit by a defensive building...  

9 members have voted

1. 1. ...when idle?

• try to conquer (current behaviour)
    • flee
    • do nothing
    • No opinion / skip
  2. 2. ...when gathering?

• flee
    • keep gathering
    • No opinion / skip
  3. 3. ...when building/repairing?

• flee
    • keep building/repairing
    • No opinion / skip

It has been said that it's frustrating to babysit units that are given some low priority task (like gathering and building, as opposed to high priority tasks like fighting or moving to a given location), when they are hit from afar, because they will individually drop whatever they are doing and move towards an enemy they can't beat by themselves.

Luckily, it's fairly easy to change this (it's in UnitAI.js, and I've been testing it a bit), so I'm asking you now what do you think it's better. Would you like to change current behaviour?

I'm not suggesting any change for units being hit by other units, although that can obviously be discussed. The change I'm suggesting would only affect units being hit by an enemy entity against which the unit defaults to conquer instead of attacking. So basically defensive buildings. This is actually the reason ordinary attack is not an option in the above poll.

58 minutes ago, alre said:

low priority task (like gathering and building

I don't agree that gathering and building are low priority tasks per se; depends on what when. ;)

1 and 2 I think they should flee, 3 probably keep on building; if it's near the border it's potentially critical.

The main reason I play on turtle speed is because my units are so dumb. Maybe your changes will improve that. For example building near the border I usually watch closely and give manual orders if necessary or change the stance accordingly, so the programmed response is less important to me.

I think one should consider any inconsistencies between building fire and unit fire (typically archers) that may exist or if they would arise after any of these changes.

i would expect it to be better to have a consistent response to attacks, but maybe not.

I don't really have a solid opinion so I haven't voted yet.

Edited by real_tabasco_sauce

• 1 month later...