Community mod review

alre

Hello everybody, I'm opening this thread to review past changes introduced into community mod. If one, some, or all changes that have been playtested with the community mod are approved here by the community, they can be merged into the main game.

I hope this process fosters thrust towards introducing new changes in the community mod, as they don't need to be permanent (changes to the main game are also not permanent actually, but we as the community have the responsibility to manage the community mod).

I invite everybody to share their opinion, before opening any poll, please don't be shy, any feedback is important.

• Like 1

Currently there is mess with basic term what are these changes? No single in-game help to see them (easy - straight-forward), Im not able to digit out on forum, gihlabs and everywhere else (it is so much time consuming activity and just imagine everyone should follow it?). My suggestion is the person who is signing this mod @Stan` ? he should also check these details are provided and implementd in-game (no other channels) for particular "version". The code to show such readme when new version is delivered can be taken from autociv or similar mods. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alre said:

I hope this process fosters thrust towards introducing new changes in the community mod, as they don't need to be permanent

For this to be believable we actually need to see changes dropped ... time will tell.

The other thing is we are close to FF and a whole load of new changes might get merge last minute, this would basically be throwing away the label of "play-tested".

9 hours ago, hyperion said:

The other thing is we are close to FF and a whole load of new changes might get merge last minute, this would basically be throwing away the label of "play-tested".

the way things are going, looks like we could get 3 weeks of playtesting for 026.4, also over the holidays.

From what I can tell from players, most changes thus far have pretty good feedback.

4 hours ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

the way things are going, looks like we could get 3 weeks of playtesting for 026.4, also over the holidays.

Well, for a poll to be meaningful it has to run for more like two weeks than two days, then a month of play-testing at the bare minimum, then a debriefing of at least 2 weeks. As I see it, there is just enough time to cleanup the current changes and have a discussion on which changes had a positive/neutral/negative impact, then based on that discussion merge whats left into main before FF.

@Kampot stated earlier in this thread he feels the current state is a mess, where many don't even clearly know what the changes are. The author of half the changes and most active player stating having time over new year (for many this is a busy time) to play test another dozen changes doesn't help if you want for the changes to have a broad acceptance.

4 hours ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

From what I can tell from players, most changes thus far have pretty good feedback.

Probably, but having a poll of cleaned up changes (code-wise and listed in prose) and a discussion (what @alre intended here) would be a means to foster trust. Keeping the proposed changes out for now would also mean there is content for community-mod early instead of late in the a27 cycle.

Trying to get in as much as possible right before FF may lead to stress and extended periods of FF, which no one profits from.

----

I haven't had that much time testing the changes but the reduction in territory radius without adjusting min distance felt far from ideal in closed maps. The reduction in cost of CC is actually what might have a positive impact and I don't see why they need to be a package.