[request]: longer palisades

Nescio

On 5/9/2020 at 9:21 PM, Stan` said:

There is plenty of tasks I can give you both for the game and mods :)

As long as it is mainly modeling, whatever is needed!

18 hours ago, Stan` said:

@Pablinski2 btw were those to be committed, under what name do you wish to be credited, just the nickname, or both your real name and nick?

Real an nick name plz. Pablo Pozo Pablinski2. You got the full mod including the gate and its armature? Do you want to include the round tower @Nescio asked for? I can do a few models and you choose :D.

I've been off these days, sorry :(

On 5/12/2020 at 9:46 PM, Pablinski2 said:

There you go, the full mod, hope you like it! :D

pablinskis_mod.7z 917.73 kB · 8 downloads

On 5/14/2020 at 9:14 PM, Nescio said:

Thank you, I'll have a look at it later, and if the art files are fine, I'll add updated simulation templates, to allow properly building the new palisades.

7 hours ago, Stan` said:

Did you have any chance to look at it @Nescio?

Here is your mod expanded with simulation templates:

palisades.zip

Development version (A24), mind, not latest stable (A23).

It also attempts consistent naming for the art files. With the mod, players can build both the old palisade wallset with the current palisade actors and a new palisade wallset with Pablinski's lengthened palisades in game:

Spoiler

palisades.thumb.png.85c308885bfbc293ff58a813386d7f5c.png

Now a few things I noticed:

• palisade curves need to be recentred:
    Spoiler

palisade_curves.thumb.png.74b71f76b941de3e3fa7cc164c6481aa.png

• round tower is open on one side, which shouldn't be:
    Spoiler

palisade_round.png.ac720a14814a073f9c0f1aeec3a67f1f.png

• the square towers of the new gate are too far from the centre; they should be directly adjacent to the doors:
    Spoiler

palisade_gate.thumb.png.cda9c33bb12be3b625ac6ef4c9938fdf.png

• the new gate does not have open or close animations.
  • when hovering new palisade towers close to existing ones, the game spawns a long list of errors; I tried solving this with a <BuildRestrictions> node, to no avail; apparently <WallSet> takes precedence.

@s0600204, you committed 20589; could you clarify what the <Orientation>, <Indent>, and <Bend> nodes exactly do? There is no explanation in the simulation/components/WallPiece.js file.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Here is your mod expanded with simulation templates:

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Pablinski's lengthened palisades in game:

The screenshot make the palisade fit quite long.

8 minutes ago, Nescio said:
  • the new gate does not have open or close animations.

Yeah I planned to fix it myself, as animation can be quite complicated for a beginner :)

9 minutes ago, Nescio said:

when hovering new palisade towers close to existing ones, the game spawns a long list of errors; I tried solving this with a <BuildRestrictions> node, to no avail; apparently <WallSet> takes precedence.

Can you share such errors?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nescio said:

when hovering new palisade towers close to existing ones, the game spawns a long list of errors; I tried solving this with a <BuildRestrictions> node, to no avail; apparently <WallSet> takes precedence.

After a bit of experimenting, I figured out there are realistically only two options:

1. either halve the lengths of all palisades, i.e. from 12, 24, 36 to 6, 12, 18.
  2.  or make the palisade towers significantly larger:

Spoiler

larger_palisades.thumb.png.c6918333880bd664f8762cbb517adf53.png 

[EDIT]: Or a combination of both, of course. Basically what matters is the <WallPiece/Length>, which is practically equal to the <Obstruction> width (and the length of the actor). Workable numbers include:

long , medium ,  short ,  tower
  13.5 ,    9.0 ,    4.5 ,    3   : 0ad palisades
  18   ,   12   ,    6   ,    4   :
  24   ,   16   ,    8   ,    5   :
  30   ,   20   ,   10   ,    6   :
  36   ,   24   ,   12   ,    7   : 0ad city walls

In the mod the long, medium, short segments have lengths of city walls, whereas the palisade tower is unchanged, hence the errors.

Edited by Nescio
options
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pablinski2 said:

I'm afraid I don't have any idea on how to solve the problems neither what are you talking about @Nescio :(, so I hope that @Stan` can help us.

For the offcenter issue use the set origin feature of blender :)

use bounds center.

then move the object back to the origin of the scene and ctrl+a to apply location

On 5/17/2020 at 8:31 PM, Nescio said:

@s0600204, you committed 20589; could you clarify what the <Orientation>, <Indent>, and <Bend> nodes exactly do? There is no explanation in the simulation/components/WallPiece.js file.

Those three are used by the rmgen wall builder to, well, build walls. AFAIK, none of them are used by the in-game user wall-placer.

indent: Specifies offset from the centre of the wall line. Allows wall elements to be placed in front of (e.g. palisade spikes), behind of (most buildings), or inline with (e.g. fortresses) the line of a wall.

orientation: Each wall-piece has a side that faces "in" and a side that faces "out" (important for gates, and wall-towers that have doors on the rear). orientation tells the script what base rotation to apply to the model to make sure the wall piece "faces" in a way consistent to every other wall piece.

bend: Some wall pieces "bend" - the direction to the "outside" of a wall changes along the length of the wall piece (e.g. palisade curve). bend allows definition of that. For now, not a lot is done with this - specifying "cornerIn" or "cornerOut" to the wall-builder when using the palisade wallset will get you the palisade curves instead of wall-towers (along with a 90-degree turn in the wall) - but I think the idea was that when the wall-builder builds a wall with corners in it, then if one of the "bending pieces" has a bend that matches the one needed, then the bending piece is placed (instead of a suitably rotated wall-tower).

For pieces that bend, orientation is that the wall piece starts at, not as it is in the middle.

orientation and bend are measured in radians multiples of Pi, in case it is unclear.

The random map "Walls Demo" demonstrates use of the rmgen wall-builder. (I would say use it if you need to make sure that your new palisade variant can be read by rmgen scripts, and that it's placing things correctly... unfortunately, the script is a little naive with regards to names - your wallset is ignored as there's already another wallset with a name starting "wallset_palisade".)

Edited by s0600204
Correct measurement of orientation and bend

12 hours ago, Pablinski2 said:

I'm afraid I don't have any idea on how to solve the problems neither what are you talking about @Nescio :(, so I hope that @Stan` can help us.

The errors are caused because the lengthened palisades are too long for their wall towers (or because the existing wall towers are too small for the new lengths). It would be great if you could do the following:

• keep your palisade lengths as is (12, 24, 36);
  • add three new palisade sizes, of lengths 4, 8, and 16 (your short one has length 12);
    • optional: also curved equivalents;
  • increase the round palisade tower diameter to 5;
  • create a new, large, square palisade tower with a width of 7;
  • make a medium length gate of length 24 (basically the same procedure as your long case, except that it's equal in length to your medium palisade).

That would allow having three palisade wallsets in game, each with proportionate towers and segment lengths to avoid errors, allowing mods to choose which one they want to use:

• 4, 8, 12, old palisade tower;
  • 8, 16, 24, round palisade tower;
  • 12, 24, 36, large square palisade tower.
3 hours ago, s0600204 said:

orientation and bend are measured in radians, in case it is unclear.

Thanks, that's good to know, and that was indeed unclear. Indent is in ordinary length units? A comment in the simulation/components/WallPiece.js file is desirable.

Is there an easy way to determine the correct indent, orientation, and bend values? The existing palisades_curve.xml has those nodes, therefore the new curved segments presumably need them too.

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Stan` said:

@Pablinski2 Any news?

I'm just back, I've been doing some moving stuff since my 3D course is going on again, so I'll be off for a few months maybe but when I come back I'll come wiser, I'll be ready to do rigging and animation, I think that's pretty necessary rn, so I hope it's not needed in the future (that would mean progress is going on) but if needed I'll be here, so I guess I'll be off for a time. See you all soon and thanks for the opportunitty you gave me :D

I'll swing by the forums when I have a little spare time (just like rn)

Thx for everything and I'll be back :D

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Pablinski2 said:

See you all soon and thanks for the opportunitty you gave me :D

I'll swing by the forums when I have a little spare time (just like rn)

Thx for everything and I'll be back

Thank you for your kind words and good luck!

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

savaenge

I'm not exactly sure what you intended to write there, but “salvage” is more polite than “scavenge” or “savage”. :)

• Thanks 1