Sign in to follow this  
Anaxandridas ho Skandiates

Transliteration of Ancient Greek into English

12 hours ago, Nescio said:

A missed opportunity. The adopted standard is not a one-to-one map and meaningful information (vowel length, accents) is lost. But if that's what you want, so be it, let's move on, there are inconsistencies waiting to be fixed.

As for that, It's not really lost if you keep the source isn't it ? Sure, you cannot go back, but we should keep the original ancient greek words somewhere. Maybe a wiki page.

5 hours ago, GunChleoc said:

Transifex doesn't have a locale for Ancient Greek defined, but I have found them very approachable, so I could request one for you. We will need to supply the plural form rules and the ISO language code.

This is what the plural form rules look like for Modern Greek: https://www.unicode.org/cldr/charts/latest/supplemental/language_plural_rules.html#el

This is what I have found for the ISO language code:

grc   Greek, Ancient (to 1453)

https://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/php/code_list.php

https://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry/language-subtag-registry

I would render the whole game in classical capital Greek letters, without accents or subscripts, so modern Greek uppercases are perfectly fine.

That way, if Alexander woke up and stopped by to say ΧΑΙΡΕ, he would be able to readily read and understand everything in the game.

I am the creator and I would release it with necessary license at once. Costs me no time, since the design is finished - just needs cleaning up and I will release it. Then we have a font.

But can anyone in the forum clean up the letterdesigns and make a simple vetor-font out of it that we could use? Just adjust sizes and positions? I don't know how to do that. Font designed is ready at any event, took a long time.

Still need it for inscription on the Pharos and statue bases and wonders etc.

Edited by Anaxandridas ho Skandiates

Making fonts for the game is a bit more complex than that... Just having the TTF/OTF/... doesn't do everything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Give me an answer man :troutslap:   or at least a direction. Or at hint at what more action is required? :gandalf_w:

Surely the greatest work was the reading of tens of thousands of inscriptions and papyri to finally extract the accurate font designs for a hellenistic serifed Ancient Greek font. (Yes serifs were invented by Greeks too, first appear in an inscription of Alexander the Great according to all literature i've read.)

Once I know what actions are necessary I can also create a few variants to choose from.

7 hours ago, Anaxandridas ho Skandiates said:

Give me an answer man :troutslap:   or at least a direction. Or at hint at what more action is required? :gandalf_w:

Surely the greatest work was the reading of tens of thousands of inscriptions and papyri to finally extract the accurate font designs for a hellenistic serifed Ancient Greek font. (Yes serifs were invented by Greeks too, first appear in an inscription of Alexander the Great according to all literature i've read.)

Once I know what actions are necessary I can also create a few variants to choose from.

Fonts are extracted by a python script and pre rendered for the game as a bitmap and a position text file for the game to find those chars. Few issues. Those are big (so big in fact that asian fonts should be bundled separately as mods) Those do not scale well with 4K resolution (and become blurry) 

I'm not really sure how the script works. I believe Itms does.

• Like 2

@Itms I have 24 letter designs that it took me and several associates forever to compile from actual inscriptions (top section).

We want to offer it to the 0 A.D. project with free license as per policy.

With this font all ancient Greek inscriptions/texts of the period can be rendered authentically, no more signs are needed.

As you can see @Stan` mentioned something about a python script above. And we would likely have to clean it / vector redraw. But it is a small font?

451915517_JAAAAAFONTQUARTERSIZEpng.thumb.png.800eedcf2f7eb3c0ce44088d8fc365a6.png

• Like 1

What is it exactly what you want?

• use the Greek alphabet (upper case only, simple, polytonic) for Greek specific names: can already be easily done with a mod
  • render the entire game in ancient Greek: can be done with a translation (transifex)
  • use a different font in game: requires knowledge of python script and possibly code changes
  • release a font you created into the public domain: does not require 0 A.D.
  • something else: ...
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Nescio said:

What is it exactly what you want?

• use the Greek alphabet (upper case only, simple, polytonic) for Greek specific names: can already be easily done with a mod
  • render the entire game in ancient Greek: can be done with a translation (transifex)
  • use a different font in game: requires knowledge of python script and possibly code changes
  • release a font you created into the public domain: does not require 0 A.D.
  • something else: ...

@Nescio 
If you do not want to help, just abstain from helping. I am trying with a few easy additions and corrections to fulfill a much greater plan of opening the world of classical history and languages to young people. Teaching young people Latin and Greek and creating campaigns with this great game and possibly a future mod, this is all part of that.

To quote Zeus in the Iliad,

ΜΗΔΗΠΑΝΤΑΣΕΜΟΥΣΕΠΙΕΛΠΕΟΜΥΘΟΥΣΕΙΔΗΣΕΙΝ
"Hope not to search out thus all the deep resolves of my bosom"

We are a just a few weeks worth of voice recordings and 3dmodel improvements away from turning this game into the ultimate host for the sublime project, THE ALEXANDER GRAND CAMPAIGN. But first things first. Font is just a tiny part of a much bigger kit, it's all about authenticity and real historical accuracy and so forth.

Let's stay on topic. I'm asking for clarification because I'm confused: several of your posts in this thread appear to be talking about different things.

Posting what is desired is nice, but discussing how something could be implemented is important too. Some things that might seem easy are techically complicated (e.g. changing font), whereas some things that might sound daunting are actually quite easy (e.g. creating a mod).

• Like 1