===[TASK]=== Rome Barracks Update

Stan`

3 hours ago, Sundiata said:

1732963208_RomebarracksconceptPrincipiaHeadquartersbuildingHQofafortress.thumb.jpg.34b208fe38f3f8103561dd1cdf643d6b.jpg

Nice, so what we'd do is scale it down. This is done by scaling down the "amount" of each feature rather than scaling the whole thing at once. So, the final one would have only 4 windows up top, not six. The inside collonades would be 4 columns instead of 6, etc. Doing it this way, the outer walls naturally shrink laterally to fit. The height axis remaining the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

For this example, what I would do is scale up the tent and each tower to better scale with the units. The ship's hull can remain the same size.

That's a good solution, I don't know how it works with siege machines in the top.

We have the possibility to have more sizes of river boats. And enlarge the map size.

Sorry for off topic.

3 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Nice, so what we'd do is scale it down. This is done by scaling down the "amount" of each feature rather than scaling the whole thing at once. So, the final one would have only 4 windows up top, not six. The inside collonades would be 4 columns instead of 6, etc. Doing it this way, the outer walls naturally shrink laterally to fit. The height axis remaining the same.

Spoiler

g1514178624962543532.jpg.png.abc6602ed426da298062d2800f5ec435.png

Adding that distinctive red line at the bottom makes the concept look a little better:

626289853_RomebarracksconceptPrincipiaHeadquartersbuildingHQofafortressv3.thumb.jpg.b8c30757dedd436e47e41b03be43657a.jpg

Some more Principia examples:

Spoiler

55062104_FortHeadquartersRomanPrincipia.thumb.jpg.6a44867c35188fae241f4467ef3a9005.jpg

877003006_PrincipiaRoman.thumb.jpg.8bb7ff9571328c8184f81eea98238a23.jpg

juan-torrejon-auxiliary-fort-04.thumb.jpg.bb2a22537d53c8b137b8b47fe0d75996.jpg

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe we could use that new building but keep the 'U' Shape that's typical for barracks.

That being said, haven't worked on it in a month, and unlikely for me to work on it soonish. So if anyone feels like giving it a try, be my guest.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Throwing my 2 cents in:

I completely agree with the fact that it needs to be in the U shape of all the other barracks. The most basic level on which humans see objects is by its silhouette. So no matter the individual details, the player can look at something, subconsciously see its silhouette, and identify it as a barracks.  Look back to other strategy games AoE II, AoM, Rise of Nations, even Battle for Middle Earth (to a degree). While all the cultures have different variants on the same building, they all stick quite close to the same silhouette.

How this affects this project: I love all the designs that Stan has come up with, and all the references are fantastic.  My one major comment would be that even if the enclosed courtyard would be most historically accurate, I wouldn't do it.  You can simulate it with arches connecting over the doorframe, like the current barracks, but the general silhouette needs to keeps its U shape.  Shields on the walls would also go far to help get that "immediate identification" factor.