Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wowgetoffyourcellphone

Good pathfinding examples

8 posts in this topic

The whole video is about pathfinding for massive armies and they don't go into to much detail so they can maintain a commercial advantage it's not an Open Source project ;)

Enjoy the Choice :)  

3 people like this

The guy in the video said that each unit uses its own unique pathfinding. They don't do group paths if I understand it correctly.

His previous pathfinding algorithm was "From point A to point B."... doesn't pyrogenesis have long and short pathfinders?

Some commenters said that it's fake... claiming that the video was only the sped up version of the original. Only you guys can say something about that... but the arrows did seem too fast for real-life.

Here's a little quote from a little search that I happen to notice with 0 A.D.'s pathfinding (Alpha 20 at least):

A part of many RTS games is unexplored terrain. Since you can't see the terrain, your units shouldn't know where to walk either, but often they do anyway.

(emphasis mine)

2 people like this

These videos are less "showy". There's no need to show off graphics and gameplay when demonstrating pathfinding :)

See also, Retro Ahoy on Youtube and his video about Pacman's ghost ai https://youtu.be/15dxuAbTC0A?t=7m48s

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Combine that Kynapse AI solution with some grouped units and a solution for the trade wagon conga line problem and we have a game. 

Edited by Wesley