Phase One Infantry-Only Mod

I threw together this mod to explore the idea of having Phase 1 only include infantry, other than the initial cavalry to scout.

Changes:

• Cavalry & Stables cannot be produced until Phase 2.  (I am contemplating removing cavalry from the Civic Center altogether.)
  • Initial cavalry cannot gather meat.  (I set the gather rate to .001, and a tech puts it to the standard 5 once Phase 2 is reached.
    • I am hoping this would increase the comfort of scouting, knowing that you will not be missing out on food income by scouting immediately.
  • A tech can be researched at the farmstead to greatly increase citizen soldier infantry hunting ability (2x meat gather speed, + 20 food capacity).
    • Sometimes you get berries, sometimes you get hunt, sometimes you get both or neither.  This allows for getting some good food income when there is hunt to be had.
  • Farms and corrals cannot be placed within 60 meters of the Civic Center.  (It is 60 meters from the center of the Civic Center, so it is not very far.)
    • Have to add some raiding possibilities since cavalry is gone. :wink2:

Some games end very early because a player doesn't scout and has all women when the enemy had a lot of hunt and made many cav.  While it can be said that this is the loser's own fault, it feels off to me that this outcome happens as frequently as it does.

What do you think?

Extract the folder into your mods directory to use it.

p1-infantry-mod.zip

Edited by Philip the Swaggerless
attached mod
  • Like 1

is what I say with this problem.

Do 4 phases, one Additional. The first phase only infantry of peasant militias and scout cavalry, the rest begin with the CS (citizen soldiers) and there is the third phase with champions the fourth with heroes.

First phase: only mediocre soldiers with mediocre weapons.

Second: regular soldiers.

Third: siege engines and champions.

Forth: advanced siege and counter siege weapons.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

is what I say with this problem.

Do 4 phases, one Additional. The first phase only infantry of peasant militias and scout cavalry, the rest begin with the CS (citizen soldiers) and there is the third phase with champions the fourth with heroes.

First phase: only mediocre soldiers with mediocre weapons.

Second: regular soldiers.

Third: siege engines and champions.

Could allow heroes in Phase III, then allow them to upgrade to a mount in Phase IV. :) 

Just now, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I agree with 4 phases

the last phase I already found a perfect name. better than empire. Cosmopolitan (not the magazine) from Cosmopolis.

citation: "The Greek philosophers had spoken of the cosmopolis, the “world-city” in which all individuals are related to one another, regardless of country, race, or religion. But with the coming of the Hellenistic age, the idea of global civilization became a tangible reality, and the ancient city of Alexandria its most significant expression — a meeting point between East and West, philosophies and religions, and disparate cultures. Once again, we find ourselves in a global civilization".

35 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Could allow heroes in Phase III, then allow them to upgrade to a mount in Phase IV. :) 

Heroes in Phase 3 would make eco heroes like Xerxes more worthwhile.

39 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

What would be some examples of Phase 3 siege weapons and phase 4 siege weapons?

2 小时前,Lion.Kanzen 说:

这就是我所说的这个问题。

做4个阶段,一个附加。 第一阶段只有农民民兵和侦察骑兵的步兵,其余的从 CS(公民士兵)开始,第三阶段是冠军,第四阶段是英雄。

第一阶段:只有平庸的士兵,拥有平庸的武器。

二:正规兵。

第三:攻城引擎和冠军。

第四:先进的攻城和反攻城武器。

I do not recommend forcibly raising the scientific and technological requirements of some units in order to add an era, it makes no sense, the technological level of many weapons is not very high, battering rams and siege towers should appear in P2, and catapults should not be later than P3.
P4 should not exist to provide any new units with new units, but to provide enhanced technology for units that appeared in the previous stage, and the same should be true for P3, for example, when upgrading P3, all citizen soldiers should be upgraded to Advanced.

21 minutes ago, AIEND said:

I do not recommend forcibly raising the scientific and technological requirements of some units in order to add an era, it makes no sense, the technological level of many weapons is not very high, battering rams and siege towers should appear in P2, and catapults should not be later than P3.
P4 should not exist to provide any new units with new units, but to provide enhanced technology for units that appeared in the previous stage, and the same should be true for P3, for example, when upgrading P3, all citizen soldiers should be upgraded to Advanced.

I agree that the pattern should be Phase = unit is introduced, Phase+1 = unit upgrades become available. So, if (as an example) Catapults come in P3, then their teching comes in P4.

I can see simple hand-held rams as early as P2, with a tech in P3 that upgrades them to covered battering rams. 

Catapults come in P3, and in P4 there are a set of catapult improvement techs: Torsion Springs (range+) and Flaming Munitions (attack+). A "Siege Engineers" tech could make catapults buildable in the field by soldiers. 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

I think a very critical reason for the "chicken rush" (building up cav mass from 0:00 from cc, by gathering chickens) being so effective is simply due to how fast cavalry can be trained from the cc as well as how overtuned skirmcav are. The main reason the "chicken rush" is so effective is because it is usually too early for the enemy to even scout it, much less make defensive units. This means the only way to beat it is to prepare for the uncertainty, which costs a lot (your own cav, men, towers, early barracks) and will continue to affect the player for the rest of the game progression. 

nerfing skirmcav overall (they are OP in all phases and against most units), I would recommend -2 pierce attack, and perhaps an hp decrease if needed.

removing cavalry from civic center: this would mean that a stable has to be built first which will delay even the fastest "chicken rushes" by at least 45 seconds to 1:15, which gives the defending player more time to prepare and scout cost effectively. Some downsides of this will be that someone seeking to just scout or hunt with 1 or 2 cavalry will be forced to buy a whole stable.

I am not entirely sure how improvements should be made, but I do think that the chicken rush is currently way too easy, and players that try to prepare have to slow themselves down even when they can't know if they will be chicken-rushed.

• Like 1