How to quickly search and find strings in source code?

Hello!

I am trying to locate file(s) in the source code where names are defined, e.g. "Pepin the Hunchback". I cloned the master to my local drive and used the Windows app TextCrawler but could not find this string, and besides I think that there must be a more straightforward way for this seemingly simple task. :blush:

I remember that Stan(?) once posted a link that showed code but told that it was not the official GitHub or GitLab browser but some unofficial tool but great to use, as far as I remember correctly. Maybe that would help me? (if I knew what it was)

Thanks for sharing your ideas and helping me. :)

Thank you! I have very good experience now with Notepad++ and searching directly in GitHub works, too. With Notepad++, I can load the whole project source code which I forked from GitHub and checked out to my laptop, apply changes, and write them back to my fork (with TortoiseSVN - yes, SVN). :)

Searching in VSCodium is really fast - much faster than the search function of Notepad++ (which does not use indices or caches for searching). I will stick to VSCodium (the GitHub version stripped of MS telemetry stuff). :)

Edited by Ceres
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...