Advertisments for 0 A.D.

DerekO

0 A.D. as a game has great potential but the issue is that there is not much spotlight on it no youtube ads or anything to grab ones attention, we see games like League( Have great marketing campaigns and Ads that strike their user and do not fail) 0 A.D. could do the same by making marketing campaigns that spotlight people's eyes and also making it that the tutorial is recommended on the first boot up of the game would increase user rentention and make the game more popular among communities

Reply your thoughts on 0 A.D. Making marketing/Adverts to gain users!

This is a great topic. Thank you for bringing it up!! If I'm not mistaken, I think I've seen a similar discussion popping up months ago, and one of the issues for an effective communication strategy was the disconnect between devs (and their -sometimes- hectic work) and any social media manager that would take this role. So for this reason it has always been hard to struck a balance.

Since I'm only a simple fan of the game and I have no part in it, I avoided to delve deeper into this. But yeah, I agree with you that 0ad could deserve much more attention from outside and I suffer a bit to see it only relegated to a niche. 

Even the fantastic gameplays of Misticticjim are AAA stuff, but only enjoyed by a small circle circle and that's unfortunate. 

I would think that more presence online, beside the sake of visibility or popularity, could help to raise the stakes of the game by opening the pool of potential donors, devs and modders that can really contribute to raise the bar further. However I'm not aware if it has been reached any consensus regarding the issue of communication and what should be done about it. 

But maybe we could still take this opportunity to brainstorm further..? What do you guys think could help to expand views and awareness of the game? 

Personally I would think :

- gameplays like Newbierush help a lot in my opinion

- I like a lot DE (yes i'm a DE fan :P ) eye-candy pictures but those are also limited to the forum and little else, so they can maybe spread more around

- some teasers about civs like what has been shown in AoE? (There are some small videos with a focus on Britain or the Mongols..) this could keep the momentum beside the main trailer only 

- work on historical campaigns for the game that can become also a powerful storytelling tool with videos/gameplay?

- twitch stuff? (Idk, seems popular) 

What do you guys think is really effective? I'm not a heavy gamer, so I have limited knowledge of that kind of world and what spikes the interest. I'm more from the design/advertising world so that's why I personally get excited by a cool trailer or eye-candy stuff, but maybe those may have little impact outside and not being worth the effort.

Just brainstorming, I don't know .. 

• Like 1

just switching to a wider known and used platform like github may already lead to an increase in visibility (And by that I mean active development there, not just a mirror).

Very good article about the growth of Node.js : https://opensource.com/life/16/5/growing-contributor-base-modern-open-source

And of course: going beta so people don't mistakenly underestimate how good the game already is

19 minutes ago, Stan` said:

I know, I just thought I chime in on the positive side of such a (possible) migration. Whether we like it or not, the non-opensource, big company owned GitHub is right now the largest source code host, both in terms of projects and active users. Which means that it's the place with the lowest barrier of entry for new contributors.

Sure a self hosted Gitlab is also an option, but having a place to discuss tickets/ enhancements / code ect, where I guess most of the developers these days already have an account also has major benefits.

On 15/10/2021 at 1:03 AM, Radiotraining said:

any social media manager that would take this

I do actually do Social Media Management, on Instagram,Making Posts and story's (I can link account not sure if I'm allowed to) and it has been pretty successful

@Stan` I would be open to such role, as I have seen that the twitter and other socials page have huge blank times when there are no posts. It would aid to remove some stress off of Stan as I believe he is multitasking with many things, regarding to 0 A.D. and, his personal life.

Edited by DerekO

On 15/10/2021 at 1:13 AM, Radiotraining said:

- some teasers about civs like what has been shown in AoE? (There are some small videos with a focus on Britain or the Mongols..) this could keep the momentum beside the main trailer only 

I will see if I can work on such a video, like what the perks are, would it be with or w/o voice over.

On 15/10/2021 at 1:13 AM, Radiotraining said:

- twitch stuff? (Idk, seems popular) 

0 A.D.  needs an official Twitch for torunaments, Dev confrences etc. right now I have booked it for them https://twitch.com/play0ad

• Like 3

Hello all.

First off, lack of social media updates is a bit my fault. In my capacity for sorting the Social media/PR side of things the plan was to hopefully get at least one large news update a month, with smaller snippets of content to keep the social media accounts ticking over in between. My work and childcare schedule as a result of the ongoing covid situation have slightly squashed my efforts since the release of A25. I think anyone in my particular line of work has been solidly under the cosh since early July.

I've had more luck on the Youtube front in that I've been sent some awesome games just recently, so it's really nice that the audience is growing, but as everyone here knows, it's a niche channel rather than a method of actually advertising the game.

I'm hoping to strategically coincide the next lot of web and SM updates with the general buzz around the eventual release of AOE4. There will be more public interest and 'buzz' for the RTS genre around this time, so it's a great opportunity to shine a slightly brighter spotlight on 0AD, but always remember - 0AD and AAA games operate in entirely different orbits.

And due to the nature of how 0AD works, Alpha 26 is the primary focus of the devs at the moment. The release and the reception to Alpha 25 has been a bit of a highlight for me so far, being that A25 seemed to have a smoother dev cycle. It has been a big eye-opener seeing more of the behind the scenes working of 0AD development and the challenges that everyone faces in making it what it is. 

So, do expect a big push in the comms/PR side of things shortly. And it's fantastic that people here have suggestions and ideas of their own. I'd say if you have anything, any ideas for publication on the social media, main website news - please do let me know, feel free to DM me :) 

And utilisation of the official Youtube channel is something of an interesting one. It has very big pull, the Alpha release trailers, understandably, are far and away the highest viewed 0AD related content on Youtube. Now, unlike the social media accounts, I don't have the keys to the Youtube channel - and frankly, I have enough trouble sourcing the time to maintain my own one!!!!!! But if anyone has really good ideas for the kind of content that should be appearing there, and quite importantly, actually has the time and expertise to help bring it to reality, I'd definitely be keen to hear from you. 

The nature of how 0AD is made, that being very much volunteer centric, means that big (and expensive) self publication campaigns are very unlikely. This project embodies the DIY ethic throughout - it can sometimes be frustrating and appear to be a limiting factor in why 0AD perhaps isn't as well known and appreciated as it deserves to be. But it's also the reason the game exists at all - that spirit is evident every time you fire up the game and play it. 

• Like 5