===[TASK]=== Terrain and Map Overhaul (Milestone: Alpha 27)

wowgetoffyourcellphone

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • wowgetoffyourcellphone changed the title to ===[TASK]=== Terrain and Map Overhaul (Milestone: Alpha 27)

Persia Biome:

Highlands

Rocky, grey/beige mountain terrain, plus a snow covered rock terrain for the summits.

Trees are various pine species, but sparse. Hunt are goats and bears. Buzzards circle overhead.

Midlands

Scrub terrains with pine species and bush_mediterranean. Cliff textures have a hint of brown and red (similar to the Indian cliff textures, but less strong). Animals are goats, lions, bears

Lowlands

A mix of tree types: Deciduous trees and pines, with the occasional decorative date palm. Grass terrains predominate with some stony/rocky terrains for decor. Animals are sheep, goats, deer.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

The India biome can definitely be a starting point. I can just copy over the India biome terrains and we can adjust from there? 

You can start from this if you want to: https://code.wildfiregames.com/D3995 #central_asian_highlands.json

I basically copied the textures there from the Hindu Kush map

30 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Persia Biome:

Highlands

Rocky, grey/beige mountain terrain, plus a snow covered rock terrain for the summits.

Trees are various pine species, but sparse. Hunt are goats and bears. Buzzards circle overhead. Wolves are a potential danger.

Midlands

Scrub terrains with pine species and bush_mediterranean. Cliff textures have a hint of brown and red (similar to the Indian cliff textures, but less strong). Animals are goats, lions, bears

Lowlands

A mix of tree types: Deciduous trees and pines, with the occasional decorative date palm. Grass terrains predominate with some stony/rocky terrains for decor. Animals are sheep, goats, deer, and Bactrian camels.

9bMRU8g.jpg

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

30 minutes ago, maroder said:

You can start from this if you want to: https://code.wildfiregames.com/D3995 #central_asian_highlands.json

I applied the patch, but it errors out upon creation of the map in Atlas.

EDIT: The map runs fine in-game. Just one error for the fruit/olive tree. The mountains are awesome. Yeah, looks a lot like the Zagros mountains, using the "Central Asian Highlands" biome. Would be a good basis for additional work to make a Persia biome.

Love the work you did with the scripting to get clouds, decoratives, etc. onto the random map.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

34 minutes ago, maroder said:

Now, if only we could distinguish between "highland", "midland", and "lowland." Not make it a requirement for every map script to use those distinctions, but just have the ability available. So that we could have pine forests in the mountains and oak forests in the midlands, and palm forests in the lowlands. Things like that. And then put wolves and bears in the highlands and midlands, with lions in the lowlands. Goats in the highlands, camels in the lowlands. I'm sure you get it. Maybe too complicated. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I'm sure you get it. Maybe too complicated.

yes, the only thing I need to wrap my head around is what is the right level of abstraction for all/ most of the maps. How many different categories do we need. And yes, I need to update that patch, been a while since I worked on it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, AIEND said:

Will there be a bigger version of the Zagros Mountains map, 2vs2 or 3vs3.

They can be made, and with the map resizing feature added an alpha ago, making larger versions of maps is a lot easier. I just don't have the time to do it. I wish we had a more active mapping scene that could help in this regard. I can make the 1v1 maps and then the other mappers can make 2v2 and 3v3 versions.

*This reminds me of a feature I'd like to have in the game. A way to "link" skirmish maps together so that in the game setup screen they act like random maps. So, you'd choose the "Zagros Mountains" skirmish map and then you'd have number of player options based on the versions of that map available. 2 players, 4 players, etc. So the map selection screen wouldn't be full of multiple variations of each map. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

We can't have 90 biomes.

4 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

they would not be biomes they would be maps.

Well, actually, this newest biome only have 4 unique textures. It pulls textures from other biomes to make a new biome, so takes up a low amount of disk space for a biome. Going forward I'll be doing this a lot to save space and download size. The other biomes already share a lot of spec and normal maps.