Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello.
So I've been aware of 0 A.D. for a few years thanks to the Hyrule Conquest mod and I recently decided to try creating my own fantasy based mod. Since I have basically no experience with 3D modelling, my units rather simplistic looking and so i decided to call this project DerpHammer, in nod to Warhammer Fantasy as that will be a major inspiration for the various factions.

I was able to put my regular human units onto the regular 0 A.D. skeletons, but I'm having trouble doing the same with units that are smaller or taller then a human.
I also don't really understand how attachpoints work and was hoping to get some advice on that too.

Here's a collection of units I modelled so far to give you an idea of the artstyle and size differences:units.png.a54eab2ad53b85fda482ba500c79dfe2.png
As you can see, the humans have weapons and poses but everything else is still static.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Free Empire unit roster: - Peasant (worker) - Peasant Militia (spearman) - Peasant Archer (archer) - Halfling (scout) - Sword Soldier (swordsman) - Spear Soldier (spearman) - Mace Soldie

The time has finally come! DerpHammer version 1.0 has been released over on ModDB: https://www.moddb.com/mods/derphammer

And here are the horses, though they still need barding.

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Timnaka said:

Hello.
So I've been aware of 0 A.D. for a few years thanks to the Hyrule Conquest mod and I recently decided to try creating my own fantasy based mod. Since I have basically no experience with 3D modelling, my units rather simplistic looking and so i decided to call this project DerpHammer, in nod to Warhammer Fantasy as that will be a major inspiration for the various factions.

I was able to put my regular human units onto the regular 0 A.D. skeletons, but I'm having trouble doing the same with units that are smaller or taller then a human.
I also don't really understand how attachpoints work and was hoping to get some advice on that too.

Here's a collection of units I modelled so far to give you an idea of the artstyle and size differences:units.png.a54eab2ad53b85fda482ba500c79dfe2.png
As you can see, the humans have weapons and poses but everything else is still static.

Welcome to the forums, nice idea , I believe you have heard of me already there are some guides 

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/ArtScaleAndProportions

@Stan` might have some guide

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameDataPathshttps://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Modding_Guide

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Timnaka said:

I was able to put my regular human units onto the regular 0 A.D. skeletons, but I'm having trouble doing the same with units that are smaller or taller then a human.
I also don't really understand how attachpoints work and was hoping to get some advice on that too.

might be related https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/XML.Actor

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Timnaka said:

Hello.
So I've been aware of 0 A.D. for a few years thanks to the Hyrule Conquest mod and I recently decided to try creating my own fantasy based mod. Since I have basically no experience with 3D modelling, my units rather simplistic looking and so i decided to call this project DerpHammer, in nod to Warhammer Fantasy as that will be a major inspiration for the various factions.

I was able to put my regular human units onto the regular 0 A.D. skeletons, but I'm having trouble doing the same with units that are smaller or taller then a human.
I also don't really understand how attachpoints work and was hoping to get some advice on that too.

Here's a collection of units I modelled so far to give you an idea of the artstyle and size differences:units.png.a54eab2ad53b85fda482ba500c79dfe2.png
As you can see, the humans have weapons and poses but everything else is still static.

Definitely looking forward to this!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello @Timnaka

And welcome to modding family

I have been working (very slowly, I must admit) on a mod bringing a fantasy setting to 0 A.D. 

You can find some progress on the dwarves here: https://www.moddb.com/mods/dwarfs

And the mods are here: https://github.com/0ADMods

But enough about me. 

For every size of units you need special animations and depending on the unit you might need a custom skeleton (a blender armature or the equivalent in the software you are using)

There are some things to know about this but I'd be happy to help you make your mod work :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Hello @Timnaka

And welcome to modding family

I have been working (very slowly, I must admit) on a mod bringing a fantasy setting to 0 A.D. 

You can find some progress on the dwarves here: https://www.moddb.com/mods/dwarfs

And the mods are here: https://github.com/0ADMods

But enough about me. 

For every size of units you need special animations and depending on the unit you might need a custom skeleton (a blender armature or the equivalent in the software you are using)

There are some things to know about this but I'd be happy to help you make your mod work :)

Thanks for the quick reply.
I was afraid that would be the case.
As said, I have basically no experience with 3D modelling (as in I only downloaded Blender last week), so making custom animations sounds like a daunting task, but I guess I'll have to try eventually.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Timnaka said:

Thanks for the quick reply.
I was afraid that would be the case.
As said, I have basically no experience with 3D modelling (as in I only downloaded Blender last week), so making custom animations sounds like a daunting task, but I guess I'll have to try eventually.

If you are lucky you might get away with resizing and reexporting. @Alexandermb might know more. I will ask him

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Stan` said:

If you are lucky you might get away with resizing and reexporting. @Alexandermb might know more. I will ask him

That would be great if it's possible.
Although I will have to look into custom animations eventually, since the vanilla animations won't cover every unit I want to include.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Timnaka said:

That would be great if it's possible.
Although I will have to look into custom animations eventually, since the vanilla animations won't cover every unit I want to include.

Believe me that is one of the reasons why Moblins and other civs for Hyrule Conquest took so long to make because of custom almost everything.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, asterix said:

Believe me that is one of the reasons why Moblins and other civs for Hyrule Conquest took so long to make because of custom almost everything.

Right, I do remember Neph mentioning that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I tried to start making my own skeletons and animations, just as a test to see if I can do it. I put a custom skeleton on my base human model and made a *.xml file for said skeleton but the game isn't recognizing it. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

error.png

dh_biped.xml

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Timnaka said:

One more thing though.
How do I create attachpoints for props?

To do so you need to add a bone say hand_L and add another bone parented to it called prop_hand_L :)  If you don't do the parenting you won't be able to animate the prop bone, as it inherits everything from its parent :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Free Empire unit roster:
- Peasant (worker)
- Peasant Militia (spearman)
- Peasant Archer (archer)
- Halfling (scout)
- Sword Soldier (swordsman)
- Spear Soldier (spearman)
- Mace Soldier (maceman)
- Crossbowman (archer)
- Marksman (rifleman)
- Imperial General (hero)
- Foot Knight (swordsman)
- Imperial Guard (spearman)
- Huntsman (archer)
- War Hound (creature)
- Imperial Cavalry (sword cavalry)
- Imperial Knight (spear cavalry)
- Gatling Gun (artillery)
- Imperial Cannon (artillery)
- Steam Tank (artillery)
- War Wagon (chariot)
- TODDY!!! (special character)
With the move to custom skeletons the units won't have animations for a while. I'm also still using the vanilla models for horses, dogs and other animals because I haven't made my own ones yet.

empire (2).png

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...