Empires mobile an new rts with AoE/0AD aesthetic

Technically speaking they are not.

Skirmish maps are mostly handmade, but one can import an height map to make it faster.

Random maps have a pregenerated height map in the code and the rest is procedurally generated by Is code.

@FeXoR is more knowledgeable.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Technically speaking they are not.

Skirmish maps are mostly handmade, but one can import an height map to make it faster.

Random maps have a pregenerated height map in the code and the rest is procedurally generated by Is code.

@FeXoR is more knowledgeable.

any suggestions on program to create heightmap ? currently unity doesnt have terrain editor

1 hour ago, ray_ark said:

Also, im interested on how you guys handle Fog of War, because current Fog of War looks really bad

If you want to take a look at the code, the components that are relevant for this are RangeManager and Fogging. The former handles the fog-of-war (FoW), line-of-sight and other kind of unit ranges unrelated to the FoW; the latter handles hiding changes to buildings in the FoW.

It's a complex part of the code, that needs a good number of optimizations so it doesn't become a bottleneck. Maybe our implementation is not ideal for your mobile platform target.

You say it looks bad so you might actually be wondering how we render it - that's not my area of expertise but we render a FoW texture on top of everything that is inside it. The code is here: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/browser/ps/trunk/source/graphics/LOSTexture.cpp

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Itms said:

If you want to take a look at the code, the components that are relevant for this are RangeManager and Fogging. The former handles the fog-of-war (FoW), line-of-sight and other kind of unit ranges unrelated to the FoW; the latter handles hiding changes to buildings in the FoW.

It's a complex part of the code, that needs a good number of optimizations so it doesn't become a bottleneck. Maybe our implementation is not ideal for your mobile platform target.

You say it looks bad so you might actually be wondering how we render it - that's not my area of expertise but we render a FoW texture on top of everything that is inside it. The code is here: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/browser/ps/trunk/source/graphics/LOSTexture.cpp

Thanks for the Detailed Explanation ltms :)

11 hours ago, Itms said:

also, i wonder if 0 AD terrain is really circle shaped, or a square covered in circullar mask

For random maps we use several wayt to generate terrain shape. Mainly noise, functions or iterative generation. None or our generation methods procedural but extending the iterative models te be procedural is possible.

If you are more interested on how the terrain shape is stored and rendered I'm not the person who would know ;)

But in any case I think your curiosity is best satisfied by diving into the code ^^

• Like 3

On 8/4/2017 at 5:04 AM, FeXoR said:

For random maps we use several wayt to generate terrain shape. Mainly noise, functions or iterative generation. None or our generation methods procedural but extending the iterative models te be procedural is possible.

If you are more interested on how the terrain shape is stored and rendered I'm not the person who would know ;)

But in any case I think your curiosity is best satisfied by diving into the code ^^

where do that code is stored in the 0 AD repository ?

• 2 months later...