First clan match ever in 0.a.d (to my knowledge)

Mr.Monkey

Bit of backstory:

We are a bunch of friends which first met in a game called Assaultcube (a free open source FPS game) which we play competitively. We have known each other for a bunch of years, and one of the games that we play for fun aside from assaultcube is 0.A.D. We only played it for fun but since we are all pretty decent at the game we decided that we might as well wear the tag in this game too, hoping that others do the same too. 0.A.D is a great game and it has a lot of potential of having a competitive side to it, even if it is in alpha.

These are our members that play 0.A.D which you might of seen already: f0r3v3r (Protocles), Trionkali (Lucifer), mash, grazy (always wears a different alias, recently BeastModus) and whopxer (Apoktein0). We have others, but they do not play 0.A.D much.

Here is the link to the screenshots: https://dnc-game.space/forum/d/39-0-a-d-dnc-vs-prd

And here is a link to our forum: https://dnc-game.space/forum/

We hope more people make clans or teams to grow a competitive scene.

GL HF

• Like 3

Hey guys,

I'm not really into clan stuff (I'm quite a casual-like player anyway ;)), but knowing that a community of hardcore gamers is gathering around 0AD, with intensive exchanges about the game, its strategies & tactics, etc is very interesting. I believe that's a very good point if 0AD, even if still in alpha, is attracting players like you.

I think that would be nice if you guys have a look at this topic: its goal is to collect points of view about what makes a map fun, interesting or challenging. Some detailed explanations about the kind of maps and features you are waiting for some competitive matches would be very inspiring.

Thanks guys, happy gaming!

3 hours ago, feneur said:

What kind of topics do you suggest would go in such a forum?

I don't really have nice ideas on which topics to include since I don't really play online matches, but maybe wowgetoffyourcellphone and causative were right regarding my suggestion. Maybe a main forum would be nice once online players starts flocking the forums.

I don't have any idea on how many online players join and visit the forums frequently, I just thought that it would be easier for them to have a specific discussion area here in the forums, since the general discussion and ideas forum is quite busy, and multiplayer related posts might get overlapped.

I agree with all of you, I think a main multiplayer forum would be good. I'm not exactly sure what would go in the forum, but using the AC forums as an example, their multiplayer forum consisted of the following:

• Introduction/info for tournaments (organisation and format information, rules, discussion and results) 
  • Introductions of clans (Forum links, teamspeak/IRC links and other contact information)
  • Tactics/strategy discussions (Detailed discussions on taking advantages of certain game mechanics etc)
  • Guides (Anything from Videos to long paragraphs of text)
  • Random questions relating to the competitive scene

Honestly all of these could be viable points for 0.A.D, you can even do more by maybe having a sub-forum in that forum for sharing random screenshots/demos/videos of fun or interesting online matches. 

I have no idea how many people that browse these forums, maybe if someone made a quick strawpoll we could get an idea.

Even so, the multiplayer community for 0.A.D is pretty big, I have never seen a day where there are less than 10 people in the lobby, and there have been days where I have seen 30+ people at once, with about 10 games on. Putting a link to the forum in the game lobby would be a very smart idea which is sure to get a lot of attention.

I'd agree with Mr.Monkey, but remember the game is in alpha stage and doesn't even have some features enabled which will turn guides and tactics into some 'use this (exploit) / (forgotten unit balance) until next version', and then people crying because in the following version this has been fixed and they get wiped again (which, btw, is the story of AC from 0.93 to 1.2.0.2). And please, by all means, do not take AC as an example of absolutely nothing if you wish any sort of success to 0AD.

My main suggestion, if there is a plan to open pandora's box (aka Multiplayer Forum) is to think about clear forum rules, give moderators shiny and fancy ban hammers and make it clear for players they can't cry on forums each time they loose a game about balance or who ever is hacking or not. I'm not against multiplayer or 'competitive scene' (if you like more this term), I just don't want devs to feel pressed and commit mistakes just because there is noise on forums.

One last though, before getting into competitive 0AD as a way to attract new players, I think we really need a full and deep revision of the game balance, unless we want to see only the dominants bretons/macedonians in every match, or things can really get nasty.

• Like 2

On 31/03/2016 at 2:22 AM, Dade said:

I'd agree with Mr.Monkey, but remember the game is in alpha stage and doesn't even have some features enabled which will turn guides and tactics into some 'use this (exploit) / (forgotten unit balance) until next version', and then people crying because in the following version this has been fixed and they get wiped again (which, btw, is the story of AC from 0.93 to 1.2.0.2). And please, by all means, do not take AC as an example of absolutely nothing if you wish any sort of success to 0AD.

My main suggestion, if there is a plan to open pandora's box (aka Multiplayer Forum) is to think about clear forum rules, give moderators shiny and fancy ban hammers and make it clear for players they can't cry on forums each time they loose a game about balance or who ever is hacking or not. I'm not against multiplayer or 'competitive scene' (if you like more this term), I just don't want devs to feel pressed and commit mistakes just because there is noise on forums.

One last though, before getting into competitive 0AD as a way to attract new players, I think we really need a full and deep revision of the game balance, unless we want to see only the dominants bretons/macedonians in every match, or things can really get nasty.

Agree with everything there, all I really mean by competitive scene is having a few teams and clans for people to play a bit more seriously. Also it is insanely fun!