[Part II] Civilization Proposal: The Khmer

wolflance

I guess it never hurts to give it a shot...

Khmer Empire (Kambujadesa Empire) (802 AD - 1431AD)

0ORxnMjm.jpg

I always have the feeling that Southeast Asia is underrepresented in RTS (and video game in general), which is a shame, because this region has a very rich culture(s) , a unique blend of Indian, Chinese, Islamic (and later, Europeans) influence, and a political system unique to its own.

I also think Part 2 of Millennium Mod could be a great place to include a faction/civilization or two from Southeast Asia, because at this time frame the region is relatively unified under the powerful Khmer Empire (and Srivijaya, but that's another story). The Khmer Empire at its greatest extent is as large as the Carolingian Empire at its highest point, so it is certainly not some unknown backwater kingdom.

Gameplay:
Swarm tactic, ambush, skirmishing, hit-and-run, late game elephant rush and lightweight siege weapon.

The hot yet humid climate of the Southeast Asia region greatly limits the practicality of armours. A lightly clad Khmer warrior, no matter how skilled, is not expected to go toe-to-toe against...lets say a crusader knight clad in hauberk and surcoat. This does not mean the Khmer army was weak, though (and they do have some armour).

Civ Trait:
Tropical Civilization: Forest environments are inherently unsuitable for the development of large civilizations, as doing so require extensively modifying the environment. The fact that Khmers managed to carve up a large empire in this inhospitable region is a testament of their architectural and engineering capabilities.
- The Khmers can cut down trees (harvesting wood) like no others.
- Bonus to building hit point.

-No corral: Heavily forested environments are also not very suitable for the development of livestock industry (and hot climate certainly is unsuitable for sheep!), Hinduism also forbid the consumption of cow. The Khmer did raise cattles and pigs, but usually not on very large scale.

This civilization does not have 'corral' building. Instead, smaller livestock (chicken and the like) can be produced directly from the 'house' building. Harvesting chicken should be less cost-effective than sheep though.

Agrarian Empire: Khmer Empire was practically build on rice. Most of its citizens were farmer.

- Instead of female citizen, Khmer male have Gathering bonus in farming and fishing.

Civ Bonus:
*Quad-annual harvest: While rice is normally an annual plant, in tropical region rice can be perennal (harvested twice a year). In Khmer empire however, they harvest three to four times a year. Khmer farms churn out food three times as fast as normal farm (four times with upgrade).
*Elephant Roundup: Able to capture 'Gaia' Elephant.

Civ Disadvantage:
* Little to no armoured unit.
* Weak cavalry
* Very, very poor navy.

Unique Tech
*Baray : Unique semi-wonder building. An artificial water reservoir that provides bonus to surrounding farms, as well as a healing aura. Only two can be built.

Edited by wolflance
  • Like 5

Proposed Unit Roster (Draft)
Non-Combat Unit
Woman-Trader - Quite uniquely, Khmer traders are all women.

Khmer faction does not have “trader” unit. Instead their women double as trader.They carry (much) less goods than actual trader from other factions, but you can swarm the market with them.

Healer (Hinduism or Buddhism)
Fishing boat

Citizen Soldier
Spearman
Archer
Crossobowman - Continental SE Asian crossbow seems to be pretty weak, without stirrup or other spanning devise.
Skirmisher
Phkapman - Welding a phkap, a sickle-like polearm unique to this region.
Light Horseman
Chariot

Champion Unit
Nayar (Swordsman-javelineer) - I keep hearing this so-called elite army, a spartan-like warrior caste of the Khmer Empire. But the source is solely lacking. So I will omit them for now.
Maiden Guard (Spearwoman)

Auxiliary/Mercenary Unit
Siamese Auxiliary
Lavo Auxiliary
Chinese (Song Dynasty) Auxiliary

Elephant Unit
Worker Elephant
Elephant Archer - As far as I am aware, Khmer was the only people to use the "double basket howdah" design for their elephants. This clever design makes their elephant archers much more effective compared to the "everyone sit on the elephant's back" approach, as all archers can shoot at the same target without getting in the way of each other.

Siege Crossbow Elephant - Unique unit of the Khmer Empire. Combines the ranged firepower of a double-bow siege crossbow with the close combat capability, mobility and resilience of a war elephant.

Siege Weapon
Double-bow Siege Crossbow - The Khmer probably learned this weapon directly from the Chinese, or through their Champa rivals.
Shielded Cart/Manlet

Warship
Longboat

Heroes
Jayavarman VII (Chariot) - Most powerful warrior-monarch of the empire and the builder of Angkor Thom and Bayon Temple.
Suryavarman II (Elephant) - Builder of Angkor Wat

Wonder
Angkor Wat - Maybe making entiry city a wonder is too much.
Gold Temple of Bayon - It is a stone temple covered with literal gold. Only the stone part remains though.

Easter Egg Unit
Stegosaurus - No, seriously.
33DO6qNt.jpg
Edited by wolflance
  • Like 4

Visual Reference

4yfa9Ja.jpg

War boat

yGb3lwO.jpg

War Elephant

Zo1FspP.jpg

Shielded Cart / Mantlet

JD82yHr.jpg

Archers (left) and Crossbowmen (right)

xg8EGx8.jpgHA3wxF8.jpg

Wheeled Double-bow siege crossbow (left) and Elephant-mounted Double-bow siege crossbow

C4VpqpR.jpg

Mounted Maiden Guard with Phkap. She is riding a mythological beast (or a decorated horse that resemble one)

ioAic6a.jpg

Syam (Siam) and Lawo (Lavo) Troops.

gyhl29q.jpg

These are said to be Chinese troops (although they surely don't look like it)

Edited by wolflance
  • Like 2

Another reason I think Khmers will be great is because so far in 1000AD we haven't got a faction that uses elephants!

Wait...you mean we don't have an Indian faction yet? Like Chalukya & Chola Empire etc etc?

Edited by wolflance

Apparently not! Here's the current faction list according to the SPM (1st page):

Part 1:

Byzantines (Eastern Roman Empire)

Norse

Norman

Saxons

Franks (or Carolingians)

Goths

Arabs (Umayyads)

Chinese (Tang Dynasty)

Japanese (Asuka Dynasty)

Avars (Nomads)

Part 2:

Byzantines

Poland

France (with researchable Crusader units)

England (With researchable Crusader units)

Holy Roman Empire (with researchable crusaders units (or would some Teutonic Order units be better?) and researchable Hanseatic League units)

Chinese (Song Dynasty / Early Ming)

Japanese (Kamakura Dynasty)

Mongols

Turks (Seljuk and Ottoman)

Italians (Venice, Genoa)

Russia (Early Muscovite)

Edited by Ayakashi
  • Like 1

Hmmm, that's quite a lot of civ already, but I have the feeling that some really important ones are missing. For example:

Part 1
Gaelic Ireland / Irish Overkingdom(s)

pre-Islamic Persian

Part 2

(Vs Crusade)

Fatimid and Ayyubid

Mamluks

(Reconquista)

Spanish

Moors

(Vs Mongol and/or Byzantine)

Hungarian

Bulgarian Empire

(Personally I would like to see the Liao Dynasty and Malacca Sultanate as well)

Edited by wolflance

How would you propose late game specialization for this faction? AFAIK all factions in part 2 branches off into your choice of dynasty, kingdom, sub faction, or whatever you call it, in the late game?

Oh, and Stegosaurus FTW :lol2:

Maybe mount a siege crossbow on it too!

Edited by Ayakashi

How would you propose late game specialization for this faction? AFAIK all factions in part 2 branches off into your choice of dynasty, kingdom, sub faction, or whatever you call it, in the late game?

Oh, and Stegosaurus FTW :lol2:

Maybe mount a siege crossbow on it too!

TBH I have no idea too. the history of last couple centuries of this kingdoms is basically blank.

I was thinking about Buddhism vs Hinduism, but unsure how this will affect the military aspect of the civ.

Edited by wolflance

• 1 year later...

Hi there wolflance! I support your civ. proposal at 100%! I would love to see khmer armies in an RTS. For the late game, I would think more about a mounted elephant unit (with archers and flamed arrows), and maybe an elite infantry guard unit (apsara guard?) reflecting the fanatism and devotion to their king. In the last centuries, the Khmer Empire had been severely weakened by the loss of vast territories (notably in the western part, with the uprising and progressive independance of siamese provinces) and the loss of its capital in Angkor Vat at the hands of Sukhotai...I think having champions like royal guards or monks should reflect the defensive_yet combative_ stance assumed by the political power during these troubled times...

I can already imagine the magnificence of decorated war boats with garuda shaped or naga shaped bows, majestic temples with gigantic towers, fierce yet elegant warriors, etc.

Here are some eye candies:

http://www.devata.org/artistic-visions-of-angkor-by-maurice-fievet/#.V9Fv1mBkiM9

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...