[Mapping Contest 16] Technical Discussion

niektb

• 1 month later...

is there a possibility to adapt the grass to the slope?

Many types of stones are not "sunken" enough and thus "fly"/"reach out of the ground" on slopes also.

(So in general we need to think of something to work on rough terrain, not only on flat ground and make it happen)

Edited by FeXoR

There is no fast way. The only option is to remove them and place entities back at the same spot.

Well, there is, but it's not necessarily easy =) As the objects are defined in the XML file it should be possible to open up the file in a text editor and do a find-and-replace. Unless you want to go through each and every entry (which kind of makes it pointless to do this way anyway, but still) it's only really useful if you really want to change every bush of a certain kind from actor to entity, but I assume that's what you want?

Now take the following with a grain of salt as I'm not an expert in these things + I haven't tried it, but here's an example from the Azure Coast map:

Say you want to replace all "bush_medit_underbrush" with "flora_bush_badlands", then you would do a search for:

<Template>actor|props/flora/bush_medit_underbrush.xml</Template>

and replace (Or rather "replace all" so you don't have to manually go through each occurence, though it's usually a good thing to do a normal replace first just so you know that everything works - it's not too nice to realize after having replaced three different things hundreds of times that you missed a ">" on the first one or something. In either case it's a good idea to create a copy of the XML file before you edit it, just to be on the safe side :) ) that with:

<Template>gaia/flora_bush_badlands</Template><Player>0</Player>

Unless I'm missing something that process should work :)

• Like 2

Well, there is, but it's not necessarily easy =) As the objects are defined in the XML file it should be possible to open up the file in a text editor and do a find-and-replace. Unless you want to go through each and every entry (which kind of makes it pointless to do this way anyway, but still) it's only really useful if you really want to change every bush of a certain kind from actor to entity, but I assume that's what you want?

Now take the following with a grain of salt as I'm not an expert in these things + I haven't tried it, but here's an example from the Azure Coast map:

Say you want to replace all "bush_medit_underbrush" with "flora_bush_badlands", then you would do a search for:

<Template>actor|props/flora/bush_medit_underbrush.xml</Template>

and replace (Or rather "replace all" so you don't have to manually go through each occurence, though it's usually a good thing to do a normal replace first just so you know that everything works - it's not too nice to realize after having replaced three different things hundreds of times that you missed a ">" on the first one or something. In either case it's a good idea to create a copy of the XML file before you edit it, just to be on the safe side :) ) that with:

<Template>gaia/flora_bush_badlands</Template><Player>0</Player>

Unless I'm missing something that process should work :)

great idea, but atlas crashes when loading the map :(

Atlas just tries to load the map and the message 'pyrogenesis doesn't respond' appears

When I try to start a game (single player -> matches), pyrogenesis shows message 1 '(error while formatting error message)'. I didn't even select a map, the problem occurs when the program loads all possible maps from which to select. When clicking continue or supress, I get to the normal game menu and I can select the changed map. When clicking start game, message 2 appears and I get back to the starting page.

post-16704-0-47257200-1408579759_thumb.jpost-16704-0-78996100-1408579767_thumb.j

I changed:

actor|props/flora/bush_tempe_me.xml

actor|props/flora/bush_tempe_me_lush.xml

actor|props/flora/bush_tempe_a.xml

actor|props/flora/bush_tempe_b.xml

to

gaia/flora_bush_temperate

and

actor|props/flora/bush_tempe_la.xml

actor|props/flora/bush_tempe_la_lush.xml

to

gaia/flora_bush_badlands