0 A.D.: the sixth stroke of midnight?

Rodmar

Hello!

0 A.D.

Could someone tell me exactly when this year happened?

I know what are 1st century B.C. and 1st century A.D.

I know what is the year 1 B.C. (which began circa 365 days before official C. birth.).

I'd guess that 1st year A.D. is called 1 A.D. by scientists and calendars.

I'm pretty sure the game's name won't change, and that's not a problem for me.

But maybe, we could make it clear to the newcomer and the outsider that we perfectly know how years are counted.

• So, I'd suggest that in in-game descriptions, we change the string "0 A.D." to "1 A.D.", first year of the new era. As an example, lets talk about the "500 B.C. - 1 A.D." period, that ended with C. birth.
  • Let's keep "0 A.D." as the main title and let's take responsibility for it as a fancy that would allegorically represent the change of area, which the game is centered on (before: period 1; after: period 2), rather than a given historical year that isn't even the first imperial century stricto sensu.

A bit like a "ground zero" date, maybe the very one second between the day 1 B.C. ended and the day 1 A.D. began, maybe around the 6th stroke of midnight.

• Like 1

From the main website:

“0 A.D.” is a time period that never actually existed: In the usual calendar, one goes from 1 B.C. to 1 A.D. and skips zero. This reflects the historical fiction in the game: Who would have won if all the factions were pitted against each other when each of them was at its prime?

http://play0ad.com/game-info/project-overview/

When it's used in in-game descriptions, it should be a reference to the game, not to a date.

• Like 1