Thalatta Posted Tuesday at 01:14 Share Posted Tuesday at 01:14 (edited) I came across these things the last couple of days. Some error while playing, but nothing bad happened: The lower description can't be read because of the drop-down menu, and when hovering over selected map, the lower description given is from other two maps: video(1) (online-video-cutter.com).mp4 It says "Unlocked in City Phase" when I'm in City Phase already, the requirement is instead the tech being researched: Pikes seem to go through stone walls (Philip's reforms were good, but chill a bit): Forgot this one, there should be more space available in the lower description: Edited Tuesday at 01:22 by Thalatta Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hyperion Posted Tuesday at 15:12 Share Posted Tuesday at 15:12 13 hours ago, Thalatta said: Some error while playing, but nothing bad happened: If release then likely fixed in git already. 13 hours ago, Thalatta said: The lower description can't be read because of the drop-down menu, and when hovering over selected map, the lower description given is from other two maps: Real bug, the dropdown getting in the way is sort of ok, not great for sure, showing wrong description definitely is not, also some description don't even fit in the tooltip region. Please file a bug on gitea. 13 hours ago, Thalatta said: It says "Unlocked in City Phase" when I'm in City Phase already, the requirement is instead the tech being researched: If in release then likely fixed in git already. 13 hours ago, Thalatta said: Pikes seem to go through stone walls (Philip's reforms were good, but chill a bit): Walls don't prevent attacks, just movement, this is no different than arrows. 13 hours ago, Thalatta said: Forgot this one, there should be more space available in the lower description: If release then likely already fixed. For those I sad likely fixed would be nice if you could try to reproduce on main. 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Grautvornix Posted 17 hours ago Share Posted 17 hours ago On 06/10/2026 at 5:12 PM, hyperion said: Walls don't prevent attacks, just movement, this is no different than arrows. I agree that this is the case currently. But should it? Walls were supposed to protect people from attacks. 2 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Grautvornix Posted 17 hours ago Share Posted 17 hours ago I acknowledge that 0AD uses rather 2 D (or 2.5D) hence modelling arrows crossing a wall might be a challenge. This was probably the reason for stopping movement but allow attacking through the wall. Funny enough, this works from both sides of the wall: it is hard to keep my troops inside the wall away from the attacking the enemy and they are fighting back although they shouldn't need to (same reason: enemy is near and in reach of the weapons but cannot move much closer. Wall defense should be left to the troops manning the wall and its turrets (still working on a mod that allows running along a wall towards the actual attack. Currently, the wall segment attacked does not get replenishment or help form adjacent segments) 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Thalatta Posted 16 hours ago Author Share Posted 16 hours ago On 06/10/2026 at 5:12 PM, hyperion said: For those I said likely fixed would be nice if you could try to reproduce on main. Wanted to start with this easy part, but after switching to main and building (both Debug and Release), menu issues are still present, and this happens: video.mp4 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Perzival12 Posted 16 hours ago Share Posted 16 hours ago 1 hour ago, Grautvornix said: I acknowledge that 0AD uses rather 2 D (or 2.5D) hence modelling arrows crossing a wall might be a challenge. This was probably the reason for stopping movement but allow attacking through the wall. Funny enough, this works from both sides of the wall: it is hard to keep my troops inside the wall away from the attacking the enemy and they are fighting back although they shouldn't need to (same reason: enemy is near and in reach of the weapons but cannot move much closer. Wall defense should be left to the troops manning the wall and its turrets (still working on a mod that allows running along a wall towards the actual attack. Currently, the wall segment attacked does not get replenishment or help form adjacent segments) Well walls can be attacked by arrows normally, I’d just: raise their pierce resistance so that arrows don’t affect them almost at all fix it so that they take attacks by projectiles not aimed at them Neither should be too hard, I feel like the functionality is already in the game Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Thalatta Posted 16 hours ago Author Share Posted 16 hours ago On 06/10/2026 at 5:12 PM, hyperion said: Please file a bug on gitea. Did it accidentally twice (https://gitea.wildfiregames.com/0ad/0ad/issues/9305 and https://gitea.wildfiregames.com/0ad/0ad/issues/9306) because when creating them I got a server error. I cannot access them because of that issue ("500 Internal Server Error Gitea Version: 1.26.4+1-g1ac57c9699"). 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hyperion Posted 8 hours ago Share Posted 8 hours ago I get the same 500, no worry, Thanks for filing non the less. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hyperion Posted 8 hours ago Share Posted 8 hours ago 9 hours ago, Grautvornix said: I agree that this is the case currently. But should it? Walls were supposed to protect people from attacks. "Realism" doesn't make a game better, it's just that maybe the last 10-20 years this was what people were trained to believe, how else can you sell a new hardware every other year . Some of the most legendary games are from the 80' and 90' after all. Anyway correct wall physic is computationally much more expensive, and if you do it with walls why stop there. How about buildings, trees or terrain? You see were this is going. Lag is always much worse then some bending of realism. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Thalatta Posted 1 hour ago Author Share Posted 1 hour ago 7 hours ago, hyperion said: I get the same 500, no worry, Thanks for filing non the less. Ok, hopefully one of them can be deleted with no trace. But what about the issues I'm having in main? Am I doing something wrong? 7 hours ago, hyperion said: "Realism" doesn't make a game better, it's just that maybe the last 10-20 years this was what people were trained to believe, how else can you sell a new hardware every other year . Some of the most legendary games are from the 80' and 90' after all. Anyway correct wall physic is computationally much more expensive, and if you do it with walls why stop there. How about buildings, trees or terrain? You see were this is going. Lag is always much worse then some bending of realism. One thing is realistic graphics, another realistic mechanics, and games like Dwarf Fortress are the proof. I never cared much about realistic graphics (of course, nice ones are nice), but I don't tend to like things that make no sense, and I think pikes going through walls are a bit up there, because that's what a wall is meant to stop (besides movement), so it's not at the same level as the other things you mention. Hopefully there's a computationally economic fix someone can think of, eventually. I don't mind much about ranged attacks, although realistically they should be much less effective in that situation. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now