Alpha feedback

Pureon

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we can give the bridge sides some obstructions in the templates.

They do have side obstructions to stop units walking very near to the bridge, however the bridge in the bridge demo map was built beside a water crossing, so a bit of water can still be crossed near the bridge. The bridge demo map also now produces some unit errors - I'll fix those when I release the other bridge and modify the map.

• 2 weeks later...

Now I suggest you to change the name of Median Oasis to Arabian Oasis.

I renamed our "Median Oasis" to Siwa Oasis and modified it a bit.

I'm also making a classic "Oasis" map. I just played it against the computer and it was quite fun. My favorite new tactic is to load up 3 or 4 siege towers with troops, then roll them through the enemy base. Arrows fly everywhere. :medieval:

If you are still interested Spring 1944 developers are available to release something with CC-BY-SA :) :

It will be great if they will release anything :)

But to really create WWII mod for 0ad (on pyrogenesis engine to be more precise) there should be some interested community, which will actually work on it. As Michael said:

However, we decided it would be best to release a wider variety of Easter egg objects to help spur and inspire modders and modding teams.

so while Wildfire Games team concentrate on 0ad and engine development everyone free to maintain mods and we will be happy to help as much as possible.

It will be great if they will release anything :)

But to really create WWII mod for 0ad (on pyrogenesis engine to be more precise) there should be some interested community, which will actually work on it. As Michael said:

so while Wildfire Games team concentrate on 0ad and engine development everyone free to maintain mods and we will be happy to help as much as possible.

Some of their models could be used to easily expand the current WWII maps, e.g. adding a couple of vehicles as previously suggested:

We talked about making a WWII minimod (one idea of mine was the Me-262 German jet fighter).

There is no need to do a full mod inside 0 A.D. with a community behind it, but only add an example to show some pyrogenesis features (showing that the engine can also be used for other purposes) that could maybe inspire other developers to create a full mod as a separate project. Also it should be a fun addition for players (maybe in the future it can appear as a bonus map when you win a game fulfilling some special objectives) :).

I have been playing Alpha 6 a bit, and am pleased to report that it is running much more smoothly than Alpha 5 for me. The units are much more responsive, and there is much less lag. Also, the Helepolis is pretty nice. I haven't played that much yet, but it seems to me that not much has been added in the way of features, units etc. but that the overall performance of the game has significantly improved, well done! I am using mtkaz's OS X binary, by the way.

im having a LOT of trouble testing out the alpha for myself. namely, i cant figure out where the game's files are located and therefore cant create a shortcut to the run program, so i have to uninstall and reinstall it regularly just to get the darn thing to load up :banger: any help on this?

I have been playing Alpha 6 a bit, and am pleased to report that it is running much more smoothly than Alpha 5 for me. The units are much more responsive, and there is much less lag. Also, the Helepolis is pretty nice. I haven't played that much yet, but it seems to me that not much has been added in the way of features, units etc. but that the overall performance of the game has significantly improved, well done! I am using mtkaz's OS X binary, by the way.

Hey Seb,

Yes, we have to keep working on the core engine stuff as we add more functionality. So some releases will feature more behind the scenes stuff than others. The next release should have a few more visual additions and more game play enhancements as well. Thanks for your feedback.

Yes Osron, the installer is supposed to setup shortcuts. What OS are you using?

windows. in any case, i figured it out and now have a shortcut to it on the desktop of a shared computer. i was able to load it up just fine, but after a crash i can no longer get it to load up; ill try to get a screencap of the error message tomorrow (the comp in question is in my parents' bedroom and my dad always heads in early)

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing Alpha 6 for a while now (with a short break, because I updated boost on my arch-Linux and afterwards got problems… it is fixed now) and I really love the game.

Atlas is great two, so I already created a few maps and battles (saddly they are extremly slow, as I love BIG battles ;-)).

Here are some screenshots:

0ad_battle_greek-roman.png

0ad_celtic_mountain_village.png

Edit: I thought the Server would fetch the pics and resize it. As it doesn't I'll just put the links to the really big shots here:

http://florianjw.de/diverses/0ad_celtic_outpost.png

http://florianjw.de/diverses/0ad_bretonic_village_winter.png

http://florianjw.de/diverses/0ad_battle_greek-roman2.png

Edited by FlorianJW

Warning: The "really big shots" crashed my computer.

WTF?

They are 6400 x 4800. Just what you get, when pressing Alt+F2 in the game. For saving space, I converted them to PNG, but I don't think that could make it worse: My computer manages 16000x12000 better, if they are PNG, than if zthea are uncompressed BMP.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So we've just released the Carthaginian faction with Alpha 7 Geronium. Feneur and played a multiplayer Carthaginian vs Carthaginian match yesterday, and he completely overwhelmed me - half way through the game he had total map control (using our new dynamic territories). Despite the embarrassing loss, I still really enjoyed the game, and the diversity of the new faction.

A screenshot that appears with the Alpha 7 announcement is of a single player base I built while playing against 2 Jubots. Apart from the Civ Centre and Tophet buildings, everything else was built/placed by me during the game:

0ADcarthaginianingame.jpg

Here it is bigger.

Using the keyboard keys '{' and '}' it is possible to place walls at consistent angles, so a defensive structure can be built even though we haven't implemented a wall building system yet. Against Feneur yesterday I even managed to build a long wall along the side of my base - it was the only thing that survived at the end :)

For Alpha 7 we also worked on some camel trader units:

0ADcartcamel01.jpg

Unfortunately they aren't animated yet, but hopefully we'll have them walking before 0AD's trading feature is introduced (Athos that's a job for us :)).

Please let us know what you think of Alpha 7 Geronium! :victory: