Proper gather assignment. Any tips.

I mainly play delenda est but curious how people assign resource gathers.

In delenda est there doesn't seem to be citizen soldier gathers.

Citizens / Slaves: 25 on food, 20 on wood, 10 on stone and 10 on metal.

How is the split up for non modded? I couldn't wrap my head around citizen soldiers and their gathering feature.

I love ceasefire and long battles. So what is your split up for ceasefire or long games?

1 hour ago, HighPopes142 said:

How is the split up for non modded? I couldn't wrap my head around citizen soldiers and their gathering feature.

If you look at the gathering rates you see that cs are good at chopping wood and mining minerals.

Usually first thing I build a storehouse and research the wood tec; then I make ~10 women for wood, send some on the berries, switch to fields when they run low. Make another 10 women for wood, build barracks, make up to 20 cs also for wood, balance with fields as needed, depending on the hunt and berries available. Only women farm, usually I have 6 fields in p1, around 11 at peak; late game I take women from the fields to wood, as my frontline cs are not chopping anymore.

I start mining in p2 and have dedicated teams of cs; my metal team usually follows my army to new mines when the old are depleted, my stone team usually goes for additional metal, maybe some more stone, maybe some wood, maybe some building...

So roughly ~50 farmers, ~40 lumber-jacks/-jessies, ~40 miners. Going with what is available as resources.

Disclaimer: I only play SP, the AI is much more predictable than humans; I don't have to think about early raids or original attack vectors, but it might still give you an idea.

Well, unfortunately I do not have set statistics on the mandartory numbers of entities build up. (I just play for leisure :) )

So, in DE, I typically start with many citizens and only a few troops, just sufficient to construct buildings and defend against rushing enemies or attacking beasts.

In OAD vanilla (i.e. non-modded), I use women in groups of five mainly for fruit gathering and farming while the troops are to construct buildings and chop wood (later dig for stone and metal). Scouting cavalry is always good for hunting chicken initially, then other game (sheep, goats, horses or whatever is available - be careful with wild beasts like wolfes, lions, bears, hippos and elephants. They will chase and kill you if attacked).

In OAD vanilla game, my split is typically 20 women (= 4 fields) plus possibly a few more if there is a wood shortage not allowing further training of troops. They are able to cut wood/mine stone and metal as well, but are a bit less effective.

Make sure that you do not focus too much on stone and metal initially, i.e. in the village phase. Food and wood is basically all you need beeore entering the town phase.

BTW, somewhere in the forum there are guides for effective booming, e.g. this one:

Hope this helps a bit!

Best regards, Grautvornix

3 hours ago, Grautvornix said:

20 women (= 4 fields)

Really? That seems pretty low. Granted, I race my AI enemies to town phase (that's when I start building my defenses & around the time I have to expect early attacks), I have usually 50 cs cav, healers & their tecs... That's for 200 pop? Still.

12 hours ago, Grautvornix said:

20 women (= 4 fields)

for MP, that would be very low. you'd usually make twice that many fields, at least. 9-10 fields is pretty standard. sometimes you see 11, even 12.

5 women for field of course.

I also want to remind that there is a pretty solid consensus in the forum for taking away the diminishing returns mechanism of fields.

29 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Oh really ? That's sad :/

The argument is it can't reasonably be discovered and to a lesser extent the means to distributing units across fields are lacking. If those issues can be fixed diminishing returns doesn't sound bad but coming up with a decent proposal seems non trivial.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alre said:

for MP, that would be very low. you'd usually make twice that many fields, at least. 9-10 fields is pretty standard. sometimes you see 11, even 12.

5 women for field of course.

Of course you are right! Was just referring to my casual SP strategy. 

BTW - did not notice a diminishing yield in the current game (A26).

Has that been implemented in SVN (A27) yet? Is there a plan for a strategy to counter this, e.g. like adding fertilizer, selecting more fertile soil, adding water or the like?

21 minutes ago, Grautvornix said:

Of course you are right! Was just referring to my casual SP strategy. 

BTW - did not notice a diminishing yield in the current game (A26).

Has that been implemented in SVN (A27) yet? Is there a plan for a strategy to counter this, e.g. like adding fertilizer, selecting more fertile soil, adding water or the like?

It's been there since at least 13 alphas ^^ (Alpha 13)

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/1318

A few years later it was added as part of the tooltip https://code.wildfiregames.com/D1803

• Like 1

Wow! Thanks Stan! Was not aware at all: When I am playing, I have really PLENTY of food in the end  (>10k) from 4 fields despite I train troops like hell. (this led me into thinking more fields would be a waste of resources:self_hammer:)

Most likely I could train more and at a faster rate. I never noticed it due to my questionable playing skills (but still having fun)

Just now, Gurken Khan said:

You can make more fields so there are less farmers per field.

I am continuously learning new details! Thanks a lot!

• Like 1

Sorry, me again - now I understand (bit slow today - should have read the documentation/tool tips), every additional harvesting unit on a field slows down the yield , but the overall yield of each field is still infinite.

Thanks for the explanations!

18 minutes ago, alre said:

this is not really competitive though.

Seleucids have farms that build very fast and cost a lot less wood, it could be worth it for them. I think the main challenge is having all your women spread out which makes it harder to keep them safe. I'm not a big fan of the diminishing returns on number of farmers, but I think we need something interesting to replace that feature instead of just removing it, because farms are already too simple gameplay wise.

In vanilla 0ad the main thing is to keep citizen soldiers working instead of standing around (especially if there is a ceasefire). At the same time you want to make more citizen soldiers for more eco which usually cost 50 food 50 wood so its good to focus on those resources early on.

Edited by BreakfastBurrito_007