Poll: Migration update

real_tabasco_sauce

Old vs New migration  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better

Which migration map generation do you like better? (use the screenshots as reference)

Spoiler

33323560_Screenshot2023-09-16at1_03_20AM.thumb.png.c57fef94cc16d3c00cdfc81d05bb30c7.png1744007611_Screenshot2023-09-16at1_04_42AM.thumb.png.f03370a9ed8a785c8a59206fafb07e3b.png342259365_Screenshot2023-09-16at1_06_39AM.thumb.png.35a4d0921358da7de1c26bd454512cad.png

Spoiler

screenshot0005.thumb.png.e6a990f5091530b78425b97662917bc5.pngscreenshot0006.thumb.png.7f17d58d18a46d8c165fc84a2bcd0f01.pngscreenshot0007.thumb.png.1e3726d806cb79a3f4cfb0d0bc33bdc2.png

Old migration:

• 3000 wood instantly as a "Treasure Resource", no trees other than starting trees.
  • Island radius is 1/2 new migration island radius
  • Central continent is larger and skewed off center.
  • Players spawn right next to each other and Islands run together with higher player count.

New migration:

• Small woodlines depending on biome, ~130 ± 15 trees per player. Savannah generations get 1 hunt per island.
  • Island radius is 2x larger than old migration island radius.
  • Central continent is centered and typically smaller.
  • Players spawn either circle grouped or circle alternating, Always with enough space between each other.

The old migration seemed to have too much focus on naval battles. I think having the island in between teams will allow for more focus on the island. Moving the islands against the edge of the map seems to have increased the width of water passages for better naval gameplay while also increasing the available land for starting islands. I also like adding the woodlines instead of the massive wood treasure, since it results in a more normal game progression.

• Like 2

@Gurken KhanI have a patch for it, but I suppose I could add it as a mod here.map_placement.zip

This mod also has all the maps from https://code.wildfiregames.com/D4948 and related patches, so if you can test other maps as well that would be great. I know migration works for a26 and a27, but I don't know if the others will work as well.

Edited by real_tabasco_sauce

Yeah they are all basically giving a bunch of placement options to random maps.

rmgen1 and 2 are basically just two different map generation approaches.

if you select a random map you will see that the option for “team placement” near “biome” has been set to random.

you can try leaving it in random and generating a few maps. If you like some more that others you can just select the placement you want.

known issues:

“alternating circle” and “grouped circle” are reversed, so selecting grouped will actually give you alternating placement.

”river” is a bit counterintuitive

there is certainly an improvement imo. just dropping some observations:

- moving the islands towards the edge of the map is a good idea as it saves space. was the new algorithm tested for all possible combinations of n. of players and maps sizes?

- I'm not sure I like that the islands are on opposite sides of the continent in 1v1 or low player count, but actually I don't much play those settings.

- maybe biomes should make more sense for the map geography? I think it's a bit weird to have savanna biome on a map with that kind of shape

1 hour ago, alre said:

- moving the islands towards the edge of the map is a good idea as it saves space. was the new algorithm tested for all possible combinations of n. of players and maps sizes?

Well of course if you put a lot of players on a small or tiny map, things don't generate as intended. But I did a bunch of typical 1v1 and team game arrangements and everything looked as expected.

1 hour ago, alre said:

- maybe biomes should make more sense for the map geography? I think it's a bit weird to have savanna biome on a map with that kind of shape

I suppose it is a bit weird, but the abundance of hunt could make this biome play very differently, with players migrating cavalry earlier on to get more hunt and win map control.