introduce badge to indicate the phase (#6849)

• 1 year later...

I fully second Justus' comment: it looks elegant and is a very nice touch, but will probably go unnoticed in the UI.

(Necroposting this thread, that I just discovered after an interaction with abian)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Itms said:

I fully second Justus' comment: it looks elegant and is a very nice touch, but will probably go unnoticed in the UI.

(Necroposting this thread, that I just discovered after an interaction with abian)

I wouldn't mind including this small elegant detail while also adding something more noticeable and dramatic. 

• Like 1

For now I'm afraid I haven't come up with anything easy to introduce that is interesting, meets certain standards, and is culture agnostic. If dreaming is free, I think it would be great if the appearance and height (not width or depth) of all buildings evolved with the phase, so that the complexity or modernity of their appearance and their great height would be associated with an advanced phase, and their poor/simple appearance and minimum height, with an early phase.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, abian said:

For now I'm afraid I haven't come up with anything easy to introduce that is interesting, meets certain standards, and is culture agnostic. If dreaming is free, I think it would be great if the appearance and height (not width or depth) of all buildings evolved with the phase, so that the complexity or modernity of their appearance and their great height would be associated with an advanced phase, and their poor/simple appearance and minimum height, with an early phase.

The prevailing opinion is to do this with the Civic Center-only, as doing it with every building in the game would be very time consuming and add 200MB of art to the game. Doing it for the Civic Centers is much more doable and could be a nice visual indication of phase.

Also, as in Age of Empires/Mythology, a dramatic chat message to all players when someone Phases up could be welcomed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Also, as in Age of Empires/Mythology, a dramatic chat message to all players when someone Phases up could be welcomed.

Don't we have that for allies already ?

2 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I'm thinking to broadcast it to all players as a way to add urgency.

Yeah knowing your enemies are up a phase is very valuable information. It is often easy to tell by territory changes in explored territory, but it does encourage some scouting. For instance if they are up very early you know you might be dealing with mercenaries or some other rush soon.

On a separate note, I'd like it if territory lines were not visible in fog of war.

Edited by real_tabasco_sauce

2 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I'd like it if the enemy's civ wasn't displayed until the first enemy unit or building is sighted.

Well i'd personally disagree with that. Knowing what civ you are up against helps you plan things out. Especially against civs that have strong early game units which you are unlikely to have time to notice. For instance if you don't realize you are against Maury and you aren't prepared to defend from a huge rush.

1 minute ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

Knowing the enemy civ lets you know the range of options your opponent has. This is fine to know at the game start. If you find out at 1:00 minute game time that your opponent is mauryans, then you may only have a minute to prepare for a big rush.

Should a "big rush" even be possible at minute 2?

mm i think its fine only because you know what civs are capable of strong rushes like that.

Also, imagine taking your starting cav off of chickens just to go find that your opponent is gauls and has been eating up chickens, so you are already at a disadvantage. Then, if they can see you, they also get info on what civ you are for free.

Edited by real_tabasco_sauce