0 A.D. Video Preview Released

Historicity

After seeing this movie I can't wait to play 0 AD any longer! I loved the music and textures and models look great. Only thing that'll need work in the future, but I'm sure you guys already noticed it is the unit obstruction. They now seem to move into each other. But other then that, perfection!

A video of scenario editing sounds like a very interesting idea. Although, the editor is in an extreme early build at this stage, a video of my (or CheeZy or someone else) building a map would be the kind of video all of us have wanted other companies (like Ensemble Studios) do to show us exactly how user friendly their game is going to be.

Not a bad idea for a future video Impeached. :)

It's excellent! Some of the animations looked a bit strange though. The hoplites and the spear armed cavalry seemed to attack in slow-motion, and they should have some kind of variation of the attack-animation I think. And the archers looked rather robotish in their movement. Props on the peltasti though, their animation was great!

The animation speed and randomness is something we definitely intend to work on - we made some changes just before the video to improve a few issues, but still ought to fix transitions between animations and to avoid people being perfectly synchronised or repetitive. It does actually choose randomly between animations already; but some units don't have many choices, and 'true' randomness often doesn't look nicely random, so that situation can be improved in a few ways. I think the animation speeds just need some tweaking, after we've made some minor changes to make it more easily tweakable. So hopefully those issues will be fixed reasonably soon :)

Looks great.

Can't wait to get back into designing some maps for a game.

Now isn't that so true, its the exact same thing on this end too :) No game or editor out there really cuts it to the golden age AoK designers, The only editor I've been using since Age 3 came out [and dissapointed all the map designers] is Atlas, the name of our Map Editor.

Edited by CheeZy

Yes, nothing beats AoK design. Period.

You're an idiot.

The video is absolutely brilliant. it's really wonderful to see the game in action after following it for so long.

I did notice a slight mistake though - the attacking animation of some of the Romans resets the loop before it's finished. :)

the attacking animation of some of the Romans resets the loop before it's finished.
Yep - I believe that just happens when they change target and switch into walk/idle mode before starting to attack again. We'll probably add something to make that transition smoother at some point in the future.

You're an idiot.

The video is absolutely brilliant. it's really wonderful to see the game in action after following it for so long.

I did notice a slight mistake though - the attacking animation of some of the Romans resets the loop before it's finished. :)

First off dont call other people idiots because their opinions are different then yours. Second, I dont think there were any Romans in the video preview.

Concerning the video, I found it to be awesome, the only criticism I could give has to do with the sound. During the battle the sound of about 50 men fighting sounds like only 5 guys clanking their armor, it should sound like theres 50 men fighting.

Edited by Felix

As far as editors go, I honestly think AOMTT> AOK by a lot

You guys realize that myself and a handful of other fanatics personally modded the crap out of that editor back in the day, and that people have begun to take for granted what the editor mods and hacks do for that game (basically the difference between usable and unusable) Otherwise stand-alone, the editor was so restricting it gave me a headache.

But in terms of the 3D world and the possibilities that opened up, yes it was all very amazing stuff, very satisfying. Cinematics and lighting and the whole deal did alot and AoM saw some great things - but fundamentally the creative level can't compare with AoK because the interface was abysmal and time consuming to do simple things due to all the restrictions in place.

Fry crying out loud you couldn't initially pitch the camera or zoom out in AOM's first editor, not to mention the trigger interface, the most important part - was horribly interfaced. The game had as many problems and setbacks as it had improvements. I threw in the towel when Age of Empires 3 came out, their editor was a perversion and was basically exactly like the AoM editor when it came out. It was even more primitive and annoyingly poor in design, putting more locks on the 3d world than you could do with 2D AoK.

Edited by CheeZy

Yes, I agree Cheezy. Once I saw AoM's editor (one of the first things I tried when I bought AoM), I just gave up on AoM. Although I have no clue about mods for the AoM editor.

By the way, you guys had better release an editor video sometime. I'm not here for the regular gameplay.:)

Edited by Impeached