I propose to increase the visible area twice.

Delfador

The visible area near the city center seemed to me excessively small. I suggest either increasing it altogether, or giving buildings the appropriate technology to increase the visible radius, since playing in these glimpses of light is catastrophically inconvenient.

screenshot0010.png.d9edd9c838ac6006fec393bd695d0120.png.c0fa9d2fef02f966082e7ca0d9a76035.png

Edited by Delfador
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/4/2023 at 7:49 AM, Delfador said:

The visible area near the city center seemed to me excessively small. I suggest either increasing it altogether, or giving buildings the appropriate technology to increase the visible radius, since playing in these glimpses of light is catastrophically inconvenient.

screenshot0010.png.d9edd9c838ac6006fec393bd695d0120.png.c0fa9d2fef02f966082e7ca0d9a76035.png

That would simply destroy multiplayer games. Such a huge vision boost would destroy any kind of early rush. The CC view was higher in previous alphas, we lowered it precisely for this reason. We also wanted to encourage greater use of outposts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

@wowgetoffyourcellphone is one of the most vocal here and one of those who complains about the exaggerated range of vision that the game currently has.

Why not do some research on the "Post-imperial eras" in Age of Empires 2 and 3 and count the number of light squares from the city center, towers and walls/palisades, and castle to the edge of view, and then copy that template into the game?

What I don't understand the most is why enemy units and enemy siege weapons don't light up for a couple of seconds when attacking my wall, which has a ridiculously small line of sight?

30 minutes ago, Delfador said:

Why not do some research on the "Post-imperial eras" in Age of Empires 2 and 3 and count the number of light squares from the city center, towers and walls/palisades, and castle to the edge of view, and then copy that template into the game

But 0AD does not work with a grid with squares that is a good point to start understanding the game.

1197167222_maxresdefault(2).thumb.jpg.2b702e82be3ff0339f1fc311cdea4ee8.jpg

In fact the mechanics of AoE 2 is 2D and is played with perspective. You can't copy a mechanic of a game that is completely different in some points of view with respect to 0AD.

0AD is fully 3D and is more like Empire Earth.

Because simply that mechanic has not been implemented and we have never talked about this until today of a unit appearing to attack.

39 minutes ago, Delfador said:

What I don't understand the most is why enemy units and enemy siege weapons don't light up for a couple of seconds when attacking my wall, which has a ridiculously small line of sight?

I don't remember if this mechanic was in some games of the saga made with Bang! engine.

What will be of it is not made exactly like AoE However much it resembles the style.

What we do is to copy or try to interpret the implementation of some feature of those graphic engines.

It is not that magically we are magicians of programming and we are going to copy paste something that they have intellectual property.

We have to interpret logically within the programming how something works to be able to bring it to the engine that is to say to Pyrogenesis.

42 minutes ago, Delfador said:

Why not do some research on the "Post-imperial eras" in Age of Empires 2 and 3 and count the number of light squares from the city center, towers and walls/palisades, and castle to the edge of view, and then copy that template into the game?

while I like AOE2 a lot, one thing I disagree with is how much vision buildings and units have towards the end of the game. It just makes it very difficult to be surprising, even more so in a game like 0ad where counters are less strict.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

while I like AOE2 a lot, one thing I disagree with is how much vision buildings and units have towards the end of the game. It just makes it very difficult to be surprising, even more so in a game like 0ad where counters are less strict.

Well, then increase the area not two, but one and a half times? Okay, then can it be done as a technology for the third phase of the city? Then it won't affect the early rush.

2 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

On the contrary I love how the Dark age looks almost nothing is visible.

From the outside, it looks as if all nations suffer from early medieval astigmatism and see nothing further than their own nose. Age of Empires 2 has sentinel tech, so why not make it in 0 A.D. the ability to increase the radius of light at least one and a half times by placing a unit in a building? Well, or at least add the visibility radius of the building with the most large visibility radius of the unit inside?

Edited by Delfador 3

12 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

But 0AD does not work with a grid with squares that is a good point to start understanding the game.

But you can calculate the proportion of the number of squares occupied by the texture of the building and the number of light-radius cells, and on this basis, make the appropriate scaling to 0 A.D.