0 A.D's Built-in Encyclopedia

Lion.Kanzen

5 hours ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

He directly used this source:

I can't find a complete list of objects that need history. I could use paragraphs from books describing these specific objects. I didn’t mean to quote everything indiscriminately. As for Wikipedia articles, I'm afraid that sometimes they are written by just anyone. That's why I try to use academic sources...

6 hours ago, Hemachandra said:

I can't find a complete list of objects that need history

We are writing articles for every object in the game. Thanks to @ShadowOfHassen we're already done with all trees, animals, treasures, etc. This means we "only" have every single unit and every single building left. We have also finished all articles of Sparta, and nearly all of Athens. You can write about literally any unit or building which is not from Sparta or Athens.

You said, the books are focused more on culture rather than specific buildings or soldiers. That's not a problem. If you come across information about religion, we can use it for the temple, if you come across how the society was governed, we can use it for the civic centre, if you find information about the role of women, we can use it for the women, ...

If you want to help by doing research and writing about specific units or buildings from the game and don't know what historical thing they represent, just ask here on the forum, or try googling the SpecificName (the name in original language like Greek, Latin,...) that every unit and building has.

Edited by Vantha

I reworked/rewrote the five texts of the Spartan soldiers, as they were (in comparison to the Athenian soldiers) too short, and not at the level of detail, style and cohesion that I want them to be. I also rewrote the champion pikemen, even though this unit is currently not in the game, but it can be used in campaigns and mods (I think they are in DE?)

https://github.com/TheShadowOfHassen/0-ad-history-encyclopedia-mod/pull/60/files

Here is the text about these Spartan Phalangites (Champion Pikemem) (I wrote more about Cleomenes rather then the unit itself, because there wouldn't be enough to talk about):

Cleomenes III, King of Sparta in the 3rd century BC, is known for his attempts to reform the Spartan state and bring it back to its former power and glory. However, not everyone in Sparta was in favor of his actions. Cleomenes assassinated the other Spartan king and replaced him with his brother, abolished the Ephorate, and eliminated other political opponents, sort of becoming the military dictator of Sparta.

He granted full Spartan citizenship to many Perioikoi (the second highest social class) and mercenaries who had served in the Spartan forces. This brought the previously declining number of male Spartan citizens (Spartiates), the professional elite soldiers of the Spartan army, back up to 4000. He also reintroduced the traditional training system for the young and tried to restore the military-minded Spartan society. Most importantly, Cleomenes' soldiers were trained and equipped as phalangites after the Macedonian model rather than traditional Spartan hoplites. They were characterized by the use of the long pike (sarissa) instead of the typical hoplite's short spear, the smaller shield, and the tight Macedonian phalanx formation.

In 229/228 BC, Cleomenes declared war on the Achaean League, winning several battles and almost reconquering the Peloponnese. He occupied and got the support of strategically important cities, bringing the Achaean League to the brink of defeat.However, the Macedonians, under Antigonus III Doson, entered the war on the Achaean side. In the deciding Battle of Sellasia, the Spartans suffered huge losses and were decisively defeated, bringing an end to Cleomenes' campaign.

Infantry Spearman (Perioikoi)

The Perioikoi formed the second tier of Spartan society. They were free, but not full citizens, and had the right to own land and slaves. Unlike full Spartan citizens, Perioikoi were not obligated to become professional soldiers but instead drove the Spartan economy by producing weapons, food, and other goods.        

In wartime, Perioikoi fought alongside full-citzen Spartans. They had the financial means to purchase their own hoplite equipment, consisting of a shield, a spear, perhaps a sword and helmet, and, for those who could afford it, various armor pieces. While Perioikoi weren't as well equipped and trained as Spartan hoplites, they still formed a substantial and essential part of Sparta's hoplite force. Especially when the number of full-citizen Spartans declned, the importance shifted more and more towards the Perioikoi, with some even getting elevated to full-citizen status.   

Champion swordsmen (Skiritai)

The Skiritai were a people who inhabited a small mountainous region in northern Laconia (the southernmost region of the Peloponnese) called Skiritis, which was subject of Sparta. They lived a rural life, dwelling in small villages and working as peasants. The Skiritai were treated similarly to the Perioikoi (second-class citizens of Sparta), being free and having the right to own land and slaves. When it came to military service, they enjoyed a high level of respect and trust from the Spartans.          In times of war, the Skiritai formed a 600-man elite militia corps in the Spartan army. However, they did not blend into the Spartan formation and always fought separately, just as allies would.The equipment and role of the Skiritai in battle are still unclear to this day. Sources mentioning them are scarce, but we know that the Spartans highly valued their skill and bravery and tasked them with important and risky roles. Some sources report them acting as scouting troops, advancing ahead of the main army, and guarding the army camp at night. In battle, the Skiritai are said to traditionally defend the left wing of the Spartan phalanx formation, a very important strategic position.         Because Arcadians were renowned for fighting as lightly equipped hoplites, and the Skiritai were ethnically Arcadians and saw themselves as such, it is probable they also fought as light infantry units. They may have been equipped as hoplites with a round shield, a spear, and a short sword, without any armor. Maybe they were also carrying some javelins and fought similarly to peltasts, who could engage in both melee and ranged combat.   

Champion Spearmen (Spartiates)

All full-citizen males in Sparta (called Spartiates) underwent the harsh Spartan education and training system, the Agoge, which taught them physical resilience and prepared them for times of war. They received intense military training and remained full-time soldiers on duty until the age of 60. Spartiates trained and fought as hoplites.
Hoplites were the most common type of soldier during the Archaic and Classical periods (8th to 4th century). They were equipped with a round convex shield, about 3 feet (1 meter) in diameter, which was reinforced with copper on the outside. It had the Greek letter Λ (lambda) for Lacedaemon written on it. Their main weapon was a 7 to 9-foot (around 2.5 meters)-long spear, which had an iron spearhead on one end and a spike on the other end as a counterweight. They also carried a short sword as a secondary weapon. Besides perhaps a bronze helmet, a hoplite's body armor varied between individuals, depending on what they could afford. Some wore bronze breastplates and greaves, others only leather or linen armor. In total, a hoplite's equipment weighed up to 70 pounds (about 30 kilograms).

Spartiates were, in comparison to other hoplite forces in Ancient Greece, quite small in numbers and only formed the very core of every Spartan army. However, because they were so well trained and equipped, Spartiates had the reputation of being the best and deadliest soldiers in the ancient Greek world and were the reason Sparta stayed a dominant military force on mainland Greece, in spite of their small numbers.

Infantry Javelineer (Helots)

The largest part of the Lacedaemonian population consisted of Helots. Helots formed the lowest level in Spartan society and were slaves owned by the Spartan state, usually working as peasants or servants. The Spartans were in constant fear of a helot revolt and heavily suppressed them. Every Fall, the Ephors (Spartan chancellors) would declare war on them, allowing all Spartans to murder any Helot they encountered without getting punished.

In wartime, they were forced to fight for Sparta and made up a large part of the Spartan army, with some sources claiming seven out of eight soldiers were Helots. Every soldier had to provide his own equipment, and helots couldn't afford a hoplite's expensive equipment. Instead, they fought as skirmishers, armed with different kinds of missile weapons, such as slings, bows, or javelins, and wearing hardly any armor.

• Like 1

On 25/05/2023 at 10:15 PM, ShadowOfHassen said:

Where do I find it? It looks amazing!

Have you played Age of Empires III? There is a very interesting encyclopedia there. The “vanilla” Age of Empires (I) also had a whole volume, albeit in a now unsupported reference format.

Spoiler

1.thumb.png.5b3c39690d868c96b274f1ec96125b0b.png

Spoiler

2.thumb.png.7bcefcb8baa3d21e1aa25c7c86236c35.png

Spoiler

3.thumb.png.67f04ec8865a994b1c2ce4fc88c467a1.png

Spoiler

7.thumb.png.55621801116f329fa54e8344d09a4843.png

Spoiler

6.thumb.png.a158602b7cc448d6cf5111589101c5af.png

Spoiler

5.thumb.png.8615bf9006e7714312ce908e6b42b964.png

Spoiler

4.thumb.png.316b7d17b999fe5eb79fa9a5e277118e.png

Spoiler

3.thumb.png.d688f17745d6e45c49ac88bddc296a33.png

Spoiler

2.thumb.png.0d8769f295a3141fb64941248579cfc3.png

Spoiler

1.thumb.png.27972bef24b83c3f79cf33cfc49285ef.png

Spoiler

1879.thumb.png.01bec0e0b913ccea35ffd77a330100bc.png

Spoiler

32.thumb.png.7fffef6b77c6e98894e00828fadae527.png

The last two are the loading screen and the in-game help interface.

Edited by Hemachandra
  • Like 1

Athenian Spearman and Champion Spearman:

https://github.com/TheShadowOfHassen/0-ad-history-encyclopedia-mod/pull/62

https://github.com/TheShadowOfHassen/0-ad-history-encyclopedia-mod/pull/61

In Athens, only 18- to 20-year-olds were obligated to actively take part in military training. However, should war break out, men up to the age of 60 could be called up to serve in the Athenian army. This meant Athens' hoplite force largely consisted of militias who lacked training and experience.
However, just as several other Greek city-states did, Athens maintained a small elite hoplite force of professional soldiers. They were called “Epilektoi” or “Logades” (both meaning "the chosen ones”). As the name implies, they were hand-picked for specific purposes. They could either be used to support the main hoplite body or carry out separate missions and special tasks that required fighting expertise. The "Epilektoi" actually made up only a small percentage of the, at their peak, more than 30.000 total Athenian hoplites, being reported by historical sources as only several hundred up to a thousand.

They were probably recruited from a bracket of wealthy Athenian citizens, as every soldier had to provide his own equipment consisting of a spear, a large round shield, and a short sword, which was quite expensive for the average citizen. Especially because they probably were, as an elite corps of trained professionals, expected to wear heavy (and expensive) body armor for maximum protection, unlike regular citizen hoplites.

Ancient Athens' hoplites were drawn from the third highest social class, the “Zeugitai”, people who earned or produced at least 200 medimnoi (an Ancient Greek unit of volume equal to around 50 liters) of goods per year. This was to ensure they would have the financial means to provide their own hoplite equipment, which was, for the average citizen, quite expensive.

It consisted of a round convex shield, about 3 feet (1 meter) in diameter, which was reinforced with copper on the outside. The main weapon was a 7- to 9-foot (around 2.5 meters)-long spear, which had an iron spearhead on one end and a spike on the other end as a counterweight. They also carried a short sword as a secondary weapon. Besides perhaps a bronze helmet, a hoplite's body armor varied between individuals, depending on what they could afford. Some wore bronze breastplates and greaves, others only leather or linen armor. In total, a hoplite's equipment weighed up to 70 pounds (about 30 kilograms).

In Athens, only 18- to 20-year-olds were obligated to actively take part in military training. However, should war break out, men up to the age of 60 could be called up to serve in the Athenian army. This meant Athens' huge hoplite force, at its peak over 30.000 men strong, largely consisted of militias who lacked training and experience. But still, because of the patriotic morale and of these Athenian soldiers, many willing to sacrifice their lives for the common good of Athens, under the command of skilled leaders, Athenian hoplites dominated ancient Greece.

Have you played Age of Empires III? There is a very interesting encyclopedia there. The “vanilla” Age of Empires (I) also had a whole volume, albeit in a now unsupported reference format.

Age of Empires III (the original) was the first RTS I played. I didn't know about the encyclopedia until later.

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Also, in all texts, make sure to use the proper quotation mark “Epilektoi” instead of the programmers quotation "Epilektoi"

= good

" = not good

Sucks, because it's not on the standard QWERTY keyboard.

This problem, the bane of my existence in every single writing thing I try to do for an open source project. It stinks so much. I'll try to remember to have them proper.

• Thanks 1

On 28/10/2023 at 12:02 PM, Carltonus said:

Just to let you know that the current actor used for the Champion "spearman" is in the Iphicratean manner (gear and all), not a mere typical "elite" force in the literature you provided.

Thanks for telling me, I was not aware of that. It kinda contradicts with the fact they are not unlocked by the Iphicratean reforms tech though.

So, what historical unit does the Champion Spearman represent? And should I edit or rewrite the text accordingly?

On 28/10/2023 at 12:02 PM, Carltonus said:

Just to let you know that the current actor used for the Champion "spearman" is in the Iphicratean manner (gear and all), not a mere typical "elite" force in the literature you provided.

wouldn't that need a two-handed, longer spear? 

On 28/10/2023 at 6:19 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Also, in all texts, make sure to use the proper quotation mark “Epilektoi” instead of the programmers quotation "Epilektoi"

= good

" = not good

Sucks, because it's not on the standard QWERTY keyboard.

I've opened a pull request fixing all incorrect quotation marks in the encyclopedia.

https://github.com/TheShadowOfHassen/0-ad-history-encyclopedia-mod/pull/64

• Thanks 1

Athens' Stable

https://github.com/TheShadowOfHassen/0-ad-history-encyclopedia-mod/pull/65

Because cavalry in Ancient Greece posed a comparably insignificant factor in most battles, for a long time, the Athenians saw no need and made no efforts in raising competitive cavalry themselves. If necessary, they instead relied on allies to provide cavalrymen or hired mercenaries. However, in the 5th century BC, the Athenians finally recognized the value of home-grown cavalry, maybe after having faced the skilled Persian horsemen in the Greco-Persian war themselves, and started recruiting.

Each of the ten Athenian tribes was obligated to provide their own cavalry squadron, each under the command of their—in true democratic fashion—yearly elected leader called phylarch. The phylarchs themselves were commanded by the two—again, in true democratic fashion—yearly elected Athenian cavalry commanders called hipparchs.

Back then, the biggest struggle of raising cavalry lied in financing. Soldiers had to purchase their own equipment, and horses were very expensive, some costing multiple times an average worker's yearly income. That's why the Athenian state issued what we today would describe as establishment loans to financially facilitate entry into the cavalry corps. There also was a “horse insurance” system in place for those whose horses had died in battle.

As result of the effort and money the Athenian state had invested in expanding their cavalry, by the year 431 BC, the number of Athenian cavalrymen had grown to 1000 heavy cavalry and 200 mounted bowmen, one of the largest cavalry forces in Greece at the time.

Edited by Vantha
  • Like 2

I know, I haven't written a text in quite a while, I hope I can pick up the pace again, my goal is to write at least 2-3 texts per week. We're getting close to finishing Athens. Here is a pr for Athens' barracks: https://github.com/TheShadowOfHassen/0-ad-history-encyclopedia-mod/pull/67

I wrote not only about military training but also about education in general, kind of describing the path Athenian boys would take growing up.

Classical Athens' education and training system was meant to teach kids both physical and intellectual skills to prepare them for times of peace and war. It was, however, exclusive to the sons of free Athenian citizens. Girls were tutored at home by their mothers or private teachers and only received basic domestic education.

Boys, on the other hand, went to schools, which were mostly private but cheap enough so most boys could visit them for at least a couple of years. There, they learned how to write and read, as well as mathematics, music, rhetoric, literature (reading famous and important works such as The Iliad and Odyssey), and politics. Physical training contained activities such as running, jumping, wrestling, and boxing at the gymnasium. For many boys, elementary education ended around the age of 15, and only those who could afford it stayed in school for a few more years.

Between the ages of 18 and 20, the young men underwent two years of mandatory military training called “ephebeia”. It included practicing hoplite combat, learning how to fight with a spear and shield, but also ranged weapons like bows, slings, or javelins. At a later stage in the “ephebeia”, the men were sent as patrolmen or guards to forts around the city-state. At the age of 20, they were released but remained liable for military service until they were 60.

Edited by Vantha

There are only two more articles that need written for Athens and the overview. I'll write the overview, but It'll be done in December, I'm focusing my November writing on NaNoWriMo.

Also, seeing we're so close to finishing @Vantha and I have picked the civilization that we'll (and anyone else who wants to) will focus on next. We decided to take a break from the Hellenistic civilizations and do the Han dynasty. If anyone wants to help or has a particularly good source for information, let us know.

Also, I know the devs are busy now, but when the leadership changes are settled could someone let me know when to start putting the articles into 0 A.D. I don't want to flood things when people are busy (and I might need some help getting things merged.)

Athens' gymnasium

https://github.com/TheShadowOfHassen/0-ad-history-encyclopedia-mod/pull/69

The gymnasium (derived from “gymnos", a Greek term for nudity) was a facility for physical exercise. It essentially consisted of a large field functioning as an exercise area, surrounded by changing and practicing rooms. Gymnasia were constructed all over Greece, some smaller, some larger, sometimes even with spectator stands like stadiums. Many young men (it was exclusive to male citizens) spent large portions of their day at the gymnasium practicing all kinds of sports like jumping, wrestling, boxing, javelin and discus throwing. As the name suggests, in the gymnasium, it was customary for athletes to exercise completely naked. Contests in these various sports were also held, often on the occasion of religious rituals and festivals. The most infamous one, of course, being the Olympic Games in Olympia.

Because the Ancient Greeks believed in a strong connection between education and sports, the gymnasium over time also became a place of intellectual endeavor where lectures and speeches were taken and an important center for philosophers. Specific gymnasia were often associated with specific schools of philosophy.

• Like 1

Prytaneion

https://github.com/TheShadowOfHassen/0-ad-history-encyclopedia-mod/pull/71

The Prytaneion was the official residence of the city's or city-state's executives in Ancient Greece. It was usually located in the city's center, near or at the Agora, the public marketplace and forum. Because Prytaneia were constructed a bit differently from city to city, today it can be difficult to identify them. But, they essentially worked as a town hall, in which not only official political but also religious ceremonies and celebrations were held.

Inside the Prytaneion, there was the city's sacred fire of Hestia, the Greek goddess of hearth. This fire symbolized the unity and vitality of the city-state and its people, and was to incessantly be kept alight. Whenever a new colony was established, it was brought there to ignite the sacred fire of the newly founded community to assure longevity and prosperity.