==[Task]== Ethnic Egyptian Mercenary Camp

• Lion.Kanzen changed the title to ==[Task]== Ethnic Egyptian Mercenary Camp
1 minute ago, Stan` said:

Weird, but glad you figured it out. 

i used an old version of blender. but very old, i always had it installed and that happens with all the old models.

it happened to me with the Roman civic center.

my current version is 2.82  but I was forced to open it on 2.79b

image.png.b2b0a3e263eb5ca2088352e9181f3048.png

image.png.4df1af9db179db25f304ab14b86eae7f.png

I am missing several details, hundreds of details to be exact.

is taking shape.

______

it has the basics an egyptian house or neighborhood, where several mercenaries can stay and spend the night drinking and telling about their adventures in the south of egypt.

is a neighborhood tavern, where they tell how their ancestors expelled the Persians of King Cambyses.

and how they now serve under Pharaoh Ptolemy, but with a good sack of coins they could serve the noble Seleucid king Antiochus III.

_____

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

My Blender addon to import assets and their textures does that.

Yeah, but not every modder is going to find your Blender add-on. It would be a very simple thing to remove those lines from the dae's in the game. 

On 11/04/2023 at 4:47 AM, Lion.Kanzen said:

M_SS_Egyptians_Military4-ec336e48d.png.6bb2065146030e202b0616d277b91b92.png

This looks like a good direction, but maybe with more wooden-stake stockade along the front and left side. Plus shields, spears, etc. and a prop point for a camel. I think all of the merc camps should have some wooden stockade plus a camel/horse prop in a similar position.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

2 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

camel/horse prop in a similar position.

People might complain/be confused about not being able to gather it. It happened before.

Yeah, but not every modder is going to find your Blender add-on

Maybe, yeah. Removing some lines might break some models so one has to be careful. Fun fact the game actually automatically patches those files.

This looks like a good direction, but maybe with more wooden-stake stockade along the front and left side. Plus shields, spears, etc. and a prop point for a camel. I think all of the merc camps should have some wooden stockade plus a camel/horse prop in a similar position.

My only problem with the stockade is that it is not common in this geographic area.

"Both the Greeks and Romans created palisades to protect their military camps. The Roman historian Livy describes the Greek method as being inferior to that of the Romans during the Second Macedonian War. The Greek stakes were too large to be easily carried and were spaced too far apart. This made it easy for enemies to uproot them and create a large enough gap in which to enter. In contrast, the Romans used smaller and easier to carry stakes which were placed closer together, making them more difficult to uproot"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palisade

Wood is also scarce in Egypt. That is why I wanted to make a more correct version for Egypt.

I think of it between the period of the Cambyses invasion and the Syrian wars (Ptolemies vs. Seleucids).

Yeah, but not every modder is going to find your Blender add-on. It would be a very simple thing to remove those lines from the dae's in the game. 

The lines you can see are the props of the original military camp, the other lines are lighting that I put to better visualize.

The type of soldiers that can be found are the following.

"There were also companies of Libyans, Nubians, Canaanite and Sherdens (Greeks) who served in the Egyptian army. They were often described as mercenaries but they were most likely impressed prisoners who preferred the life of a soldier instead of slavery".

We will remove the Canaanites and add:

Phoenicians, Carians, and Greeks were used during the Late Period.[28]

it seems that there were slingers.

"Late Period, sling bullets were cast. These were preferred to pebbles because of their greater weight which made them more effective.[41] They often bore a mark."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_ancient_Egypt

The Late Egyptian Military

Despite an active military record, we know almost nothing about the Late Period Egyptian army. Despite that, there are a few clues and ideas we can gather from the sources. In addition, we also know that historically Egypt was not a military innovator or an early adopter of new technologies and methods. Therefore, there military in the Later Period may not have been substantially different from previous Dynasties or periods.  

The soldiers themselves were probably a mix of professionals, conscripts, and mercenaries. The New Kingdom and transformed much of the military into "professional" soldiers not tied to the land. however, at this point much of the fighting was actually rebellions. Therefore, conscripted soldiers and mercenaries were probably much more common. In earlier periods, troops seemed to be armed as either spearmen, archers, or infantry with personal or hand weapons. Officers were men of standing or status in Egyptian society often with some sort of formal education behind them. I see no reason to think this would change into this Late Period.     

This blog states the following.

Finally, we also know that historically the main fighting arm of the Egyptian army was the Chariot. This was used primarily as a mobile archery platform. However, fighting men in chariots also used the spear as a back-up weapon. There was never a strong emphasis on infantry beyond the archery forces. At this date, it is difficult to determine if the Chariot was still an instrument of war. The Persians, their overlords; and moved largely to cavalry at this point. In addition, most of the battles of the period were revolts against the Persians and therefore probably more infantry oriented affairs. I find it "unlikely" that the Chariot was still a large factor in Egyptian warfare during the Late Period, except as a "command" car for officers and leaders of status.

Saite Dynasty

The bulk of the troops in the Saite Dynasty will have a core of Drilled Infantry and Archers. These will be backed by Mercenary Peltasts and Warband infantry of conscripts. Finally, I think the Saite Dynasty list will probably still contain a Light Chariot force. 

Saite Dynasty Line of Battle

0-1 Light Chariots*

0-2 Drilled Infantry

1+ Archers

0-2 Mercenary Peltasts

0+ Warband Infantry

0-2 Psiloi

Chariots

The Saite Dynasty Light Chariot will use the same profile as the Light Cavalry with the following special rules. They must have the Bow upgrade in the Saite Dynasty list .

Egyptian Revolt Line of Battle

0-1 Drilled Hoplite OR Light Hoplites

0-2 Drilled Infantry

0+ Warband Infantry

1+ Archers

0-2 Mercenary Peltasts

0-2 Psiloi

Mendes Dynasty

3 Archers

2 Drilled Infantry- 1 w/Commander

1 Warband Infantry 

2 Psiloi

https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2021/07/men-of-bronze-late-period-egyptians.html?m=1

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

49 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

The type of soldiers that can be found are the following.

"There were also companies of Libyans, Nubians, Canaanite and Sherdens (Greeks) who served in the Egyptian army. They were often described as mercenaries but they were most likely impressed prisoners who preferred the life of a soldier instead of slavery".

We will remove the Canaanites and add:

Phoenicians, Carians, and Greeks were used during the Late Period.[28]

it seems that there were slingers.

"Late Period, sling bullets were cast. These were preferred to pebbles because of their greater weight which made them more effective.[41] They often bore a mark."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_ancient_Egypt

The Late Egyptian Military

Despite an active military record, we know almost nothing about the Late Period Egyptian army. Despite that, there are a few clues and ideas we can gather from the sources. In addition, we also know that historically Egypt was not a military innovator or an early adopter of new technologies and methods. Therefore, there military in the Later Period may not have been substantially different from previous Dynasties or periods.  

The soldiers themselves were probably a mix of professionals, conscripts, and mercenaries. The New Kingdom and transformed much of the military into "professional" soldiers not tied to the land. however, at this point much of the fighting was actually rebellions. Therefore, conscripted soldiers and mercenaries were probably much more common. In earlier periods, troops seemed to be armed as either spearmen, archers, or infantry with personal or hand weapons. Officers were men of standing or status in Egyptian society often with some sort of formal education behind them. I see no reason to think this would change into this Late Period.     

This blog states the following.

Finally, we also know that historically the main fighting arm of the Egyptian army was the Chariot. This was used primarily as a mobile archery platform. However, fighting men in chariots also used the spear as a back-up weapon. There was never a strong emphasis on infantry beyond the archery forces. At this date, it is difficult to determine if the Chariot was still an instrument of war. The Persians, their overlords; and moved largely to cavalry at this point. In addition, most of the battles of the period were revolts against the Persians and therefore probably more infantry oriented affairs. I find it "unlikely" that the Chariot was still a large factor in Egyptian warfare during the Late Period, except as a "command" car for officers and leaders of status.

Saite Dynasty

The bulk of the troops in the Saite Dynasty will have a core of Drilled Infantry and Archers. These will be backed by Mercenary Peltasts and Warband infantry of conscripts. Finally, I think the Saite Dynasty list will probably still contain a Light Chariot force. 

Saite Dynasty Line of Battle

0-1 Light Chariots*

0-2 Drilled Infantry

1+ Archers

0-2 Mercenary Peltasts

0+ Warband Infantry

0-2 Psiloi

Chariots

The Saite Dynasty Light Chariot will use the same profile as the Light Cavalry with the following special rules. They must have the Bow upgrade in the Saite Dynasty list .

Egyptian Revolt Line of Battle

0-1 Drilled Hoplite OR Light Hoplites

0-2 Drilled Infantry

0+ Warband Infantry

1+ Archers

0-2 Mercenary Peltasts

0-2 Psiloi

Mendes Dynasty

3 Archers

2 Drilled Infantry- 1 w/Commander

1 Warband Infantry 

2 Psiloi

https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2021/07/men-of-bronze-late-period-egyptians.html?m=1

This is from a wargaming blog.

We would have archers.

A"warband" I assume it refers to Egyptian spear infantry.

WG-LBA-50-Later-New-Kingdom-Egyptian-Guards-Marines-2.thumb.jpg.354d6649ac61ef324f361ec1c8bea342.jpg

maybe Chariots of war.

Lybian mercenaries.

Greek Psiloi

greek-psiloi-8102-p-600x278.png.f7176bd2088122f5f20c1e9451a9fb30.png

WGH-CEM-04-Egyptian-Chariot-Squadron-d.jpg

Just now, Lion.Kanzen said:

This is from a wargaming blog.

We would have archers.

A"warband" I assume it refers to Egyptian spear infantry.

WG-LBA-50-Later-New-Kingdom-Egyptian-Guards-Marines-2.thumb.jpg.354d6649ac61ef324f361ec1c8bea342.jpg

maybe Chariots of war.

Lybian mercenaries.

Greek Psiloi

greek-psiloi-8102-p-600x278.png.f7176bd2088122f5f20c1e9451a9fb30.png

WGH-CEM-04-Egyptian-Chariot-Squadron-d.jpg

To what the blog says, we must add camels, Nubian soldiers ( archers), Lybian Phoenician style. 

And Greek heavy infantry (hoplites, Pezhetaroi)

4bd6dd8c33da4fd9a1e9145ee97c6f35.jpeg.98451c07cb05ee9127ccd696a87f99d1.jpeg