Why is selection in 0ad that bad

Frederick_1

When I want to select an entity I often do need to do this twice or three times, until I get the control panel. I see the entity is highlighted but I get no response to my try to select it. 0ad is a time critical game, especially horses often get lost, because I can not select them in time to draw them back. I play in 0.1x turtle speed and do a lot of micro managing especially in small battle situations, and this unnecessary losses are annoying.

I thought this was due to my trusty PS2 mouse which served me well in non gaming tasks several years. So I bought a "gaming mouse" (GEM SPG 147) but it is the same. Or is my hardware unsuitable? I do have an Intel 9600k which is mostly running around 4.4 GHz and a nvidia 1650 Super on medium graphic displays.

• Like 1

On 01/01/2023 at 5:36 PM, Frederick_1 said:

When I want to select an entity I often do need to do this twice or three times, until I get the control panel. I see the entity is highlighted but I get no response to my try to select it. 0ad is a time critical game, especially horses often get lost, because I can not select them in time to draw them back. I play in 0.1x turtle speed and do a lot of micro managing especially in small battle situations, and this unnecessary losses are annoying.

I thought this was due to my trusty PS2 mouse which served me well in non gaming tasks several years. So I bought a "gaming mouse" (GEM SPG 147) but it is the same. Or is my hardware unsuitable? I do have an Intel 9600k which is mostly running around 4.4 GHz and a nvidia 1650 Super on medium graphic displays.

This is a bug. And the autociv mod could give you some hotkeys for selecting some additional unit types. Maybe then you could handle control groups even better...

21 hours ago, Stan` said:

@Frederick_1  @BeTe

Thanks for the report. Can you give us more information about your system(s)? OS Name + userreport_hwdetect.txt?

It is Ubuntu 20.04. I use the proprietary nvidia driver because this was the only one supporting 1650 super at install.

See https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameDataPaths

Do you have 2k 4k, or widescreen monitors?

I was playing at 1980x1200 and now at 1600x900 because this is a TN Display the other not. Not much difference

Where was my test gone??.. oh it is in the quotation.

I use Ubuntu 20.10. Generic nvidia driver, because this was only on supporting 1650super on install. My desktop environment is mate. I feel no difference in windowed or full screen mode, excpbt some Hotkeys which are used in mate.

userreport_hwdetect.txt

Edited by Frederick_1

16 hours ago, Player of 0AD said:

This is a bug. And the autociv mod could give you some hotkeys for selecting some additional unit types. Maybe then you could handle control groups even better...

I use autociv, this really enhances game altough currently I do not use all features, I noticed no difference at install of autociv. Did not bother because I adressed the problem to my old mouse.

On 02/01/2023 at 7:28 PM, Stan` said:

@Frederick_1  @BeTe

Thanks for the report. Can you give us more information about your system(s)? OS Name + userreport_hwdetect.txt? See https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameDataPaths

Do you have 2k 4k, or widescreen monitors?

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Monitor is lap top, HP 250.

userreport_hwdetect.txt

On 02/01/2023 at 10:58 PM, Stan` said:

You can also play with a bigger dragdelta in user.cfg. default is 4

Now I tried this. dragdelta was set to "2" (dont ask me why). Now that I changed to "4" game is much smoother. Albeit I have to try it in a big battle. At in built up an some skirmish it feels much better.

Maybe I need to try new Debian. Hope my graphic card is supported now. But system update always need more timeand preparations, don't want to do this in a rush.

Edited by Frederick_1
  • Like 1