Atrik
Community Members-
Posts
869 -
Joined
-
Days Won
45
Everything posted by Atrik
-
Never felt the urge to reveal enemy stats, map, or chat just because I had evidences some players do. They are also less detectable by far then using progui trainer, while providing a much greater advantage then having a enhanced queuing system. There is a lot to criticize about progui but one thing it does is to be reasonably modular, with a bunch of options I added from actual player suggestions. So you have probably 50% of the players using it, that don't even have the trainer overlay. Now if the goal is to divide people in distinct group "us vs them" as you said, I don't think this is a good thing to do.
-
He probably is. I used it too even in tournament matches, I didn't know it was forbidden.
-
I don't understand if this is a joke from @alre or not. So Piplox is just ordering a group of 3 units, while it's CC queue units with progui's autoqueue? If he used the normal autoqueue, he would also have a chance for a new batch to start producing between two orders. He don't need control groups, or anything special to do order those units. If you want to prove a player is cheating and you looked out so closely just to find this, I guess he's probably not doing anything too weird lol
-
@seeh I don't have this bug, It's probably not related, can you double check?
-
I added the option later after introducing this. Please simply patch. And theses bar will be removed by default.
-
Minor but useful trainer enhancements (5.10): Do not consume resources needed for a building if a player is trying to place one. Don't know why I didn't add this earlier, it was just decreasing playability, maybe vanilla auto-queue should also do this. Customize classes used by the trainer in options. Add/remove a production building class to save screen space. And also enable it for unit if you want (like Hero for Persians, Ships for Athenians)
-
In this match @leopard plays very well his critical role, and jimo have to hold against @freyyja! commands.txt metadata.json
-
Makes sens and probably good choice for balance. But since it's AOE dps, it friendly-fires right? Else my guess is that won't be a strategical unit, but one you can just spam because it's just a unit with superior stats.
-
Batch attack (similar to batch training but for attacking)
Atrik replied to ufa's topic in Gameplay Discussion
If you had some overkill mitigation introduced along side this stance, like what @real_tabasco_sauce is describing here: The concept of sniping would simply disappear, and be replaced with putting all the importance on making efficient/brutal engages. Battle line-like formations would finely make sens for infantry field battle. And hopefully, no formation would be the only go-to formation. Compared to the current meta where you use box formation, even when you have 0 chance of being flanked, where the goal is just to induce overkills. Reminder that this stance or even overkill mitigation won't make the battle 'autoplay' AT ALL. For instance your ranged units placement on the battle field would be really important to reach units you want to focus on, even if you toggle a attack weak stance. They won't move to attack weakest units, they'll simply attack them when they get in attack range. Witch makes you having to decide when you want to trade movement to reach weaker units, and when to not. Now, because sniping is simply a dµmb technical skill, I'll be really glad to trade it for the need of learning better tactical and strategy skills. It's true that you'll have a full sniping cycle doable under less clicks now: unit placement, and stance selection*, but it would then give room to new micro meta or ideally the introduction of new units abilities. *still make sens to attack closest units in a lot of cases: prevent melee to reach you, or to clear front-line fast and make your melees free of movement. So 'attack weak' wouldn't be a stance you'll toggle all the time, especially not with @real_tabasco_sauce unit re-balance. -
Batch attack (similar to batch training but for attacking)
Atrik replied to ufa's topic in Gameplay Discussion
If any of the current stance like: 'flee' => move away from attacker didn't exist, players feeling would also be that adding such a stance will be automation. 'attack weak' => prioritize attacking weak units in range Is a simple, and more useful stance then 'violent'. -
Batch attack (similar to batch training but for attacking)
Atrik replied to ufa's topic in Gameplay Discussion
That's right, you can even use few different small piece of software and bind sequences of clicks to a hotkey and get same result as this thread suggestion, even without a gaming mouse. That's the problem with this weak game mechanic: 'sniping'. It's just here in the first place because devs didn't thought about making a feature to change attack behavior, and now players adapted the meta and think the game was intentionally design to make you have to click 120 times as fast as possible as part of the gameplay. No, really, we need to push for the game to dish sniping all together and metas/suggestions for more interesting game mechanics will come up. -
Batch attack (similar to batch training but for attacking)
Atrik replied to ufa's topic in Gameplay Discussion
For sure, could help. It's not that bad to help the problem, but it's weird to want to avoid so badly any feature that would make sniping simply a unit behavior you can use. -
Done, showing the bars is now an opt-in option in 'GUI customization'. I think I also prefer having the minimap optimizing screen space now that I'm used to having the kdr animation in the top panel instead.
-
Batch attack (similar to batch training but for attacking)
Atrik replied to ufa's topic in Gameplay Discussion
Congrats you now have a way to do 5x faster sniping. Very boring however. It's not even as good as unit rebalance as a mitigation if you ask me. -
UI file to mod for chat positioning
Atrik replied to wowgetoffyourcellphone's topic in Game Modification
Maybe here : /gui/session/session.xml#L45 -
I look at it that way: We want to maximize Strategic skills (or decision-bearing actions). We want to minimize Technical actions (or skills in offsetting the interface and game limitations). Sniping is just you wanting your ranged units to attack enemy ranged units but you can only do it by clicking all enemy units. You are offsetting a game limitations with a technical skill. Flanking, engage/retreat, formations, positioning of small units detachments are on the other hand what the game should be about. These are strategic skills, and it would be even more rewarding to have to choose the right one, to counter the enemy, or to play a specific battle tactic. The fact that formations choice for a engage is made irrelevant (you should go for box every time and start sniping) because of the default AI focus isn't really fun.
-
Agreed, but keeping battle mechanics all revolving around tricking unit AI to make and avoid overkill is simply lame. Well, it probably still is a 'technical skill'. It's definitely a trainable skill to make the right sequence of clicks and to do it very very fast. But I agree, @Dizaka, 'sniping' is actually the one thing dumbing down this game rn. And I don't know that it is any sexy for new players to come to 0ad and be good at 'sniping'. Only to some players that are used to 'sniping', is this mechanic not obviously ridiculous. You aren't going to make anyone wanting to learn 0ad showing off, the currently battle n°1 battle mechanic: sniping (aka mashing keys).
-
Yes it definitively does. Currently players are nearly forced to use box formation as only viable formation in big part because sending melee units 1by1 (like it happens when you use box) is the best at exploiting default units focus and overkills. Since this topic was open, I asked a few 1300-1500 players that don't snip what they think about sniping, and it's seemed to me, most of them view sniping as exploiting a bug, or had a very negative view of this meta. Heck I even saw Vali call sniping "dµmb@ss mechanic". It's clear to me that the majority of players (even yourself @real_tabasco_sauce) want this meta to evolve. On the other hand, some are so frightened by the idea of some features like new stances or hotkey, that would change default unit focus. (literally saw 50times + : "this would kill 0ad"). If it came with some unit re-balance (since now ranged units will lose a considerable debuff), it will feel totaly natural. For example, I'm not sure anyone ever wanted to make 'sniping' even less auto, where your archers would still attack rams if it's closer compared to the organic unit just behind it.
-
I think it's better to have stats in the same theme clustered together. But I wanted to make settings for the minimap for customization including the ability to scale it independently of rest of the gui and opt-out of the bar stats.
-
I don't know exactly what you had in mind then. But I added an option (in GUI Customization) to display this short-therm kill ratio performance on the top panel. Pros: Get another visual clue if allies are rushed/rushing, or an overview of how is going a battle on the other side of the map as examples. Cons: Add blinky colorful stuff to an already blinky colorful panel There is certainly a way to blind it better in the panel too.
-
Definitively! But I wonder what the process to generate them looks like. Are you spending your 401k on generative AIs @wowgetoffyourcellphone?
-
I don't know why I initially wanted to do this, but seems fun, and make the GUI less empty: You have two new stat bars added that represent your current game performances. Military performance (Red), Eco performance (Yellow) More precisely, the blood bar goes up when your KDr goes up (last 10sec), and the yellow bar increase as your resources income increase (relative to your average income). It's actually nice to have, as you can also have a way to more easily know how is a battle going for you, or how is your global eco health. Stupid?
-
UI portrait popups
Atrik replied to wowgetoffyourcellphone's topic in Game Development & Technical Discussion
@wowgetoffyourcellphone would you give me hack tips? Wouldn't it be fun to add some useless GUI features that reminds me of another thing completely unrelated too, like Diablo's GUI I experimented with having a kind of blood thermometer that fill up based on last ~10sec kd, it's ofc ugly rn. I may try to integrate it into the minimap picture (and on it's left side) but how would you go about making the liquid look liquid and glowing? Any hacks you can think of for a lazy cat? -
Yes, so looking at the 4 comments you posted on this forum, seems you already got answered. I could write down what I know of how this would been achievable and the challenges in making something at least more then trivial to defeat. So for now it's understandably a declarative system. But you aren't too interested in reading if I understand... This would also help to prevent things like what this player was doing when he was accusing me of cheating and started to reply to a comment I typed in my allied chat. Also probably a good thing we don't have such auth/signature feature in the game at the stage else some people would visibly try to use it to normalize players mods.
-
peaceful solution to moderation disputes
Atrik replied to championcavalry's topic in Introductions & Off-Topic Discussion
@Yekaterina is probably having fun since @Norse_Harold is putting effort into tracking him down. As @alre said it's really hard to enforce a perma-ban so he's picking a fight he can't win anyway. We can just call to Yeka's intelligence to stop doing assh0les things like spamming the lobby. What's the point of doing this anyway? He pretend to not want authority enforcement, but do things that make it more a necessity.
