not sure if it is finished or ready, but it might be a good idea to implement some way for animations to play depending on motion at the time of death.
But right now a collision is only detected once for a pair. I imagine this idea would require to do two.
I did a quick attempt for ellipse. It wasn't going in the right direction so I dropped it. Thinking about it I think I can explain why it's a bad idea : ellipses are too good to tile up a given space regardless of if the shapes are aligned or not, creating interlocking patterns.
A drawing not at all accurate but to give the idea :
For the same area, the ellipses can compress easier regardless of orientation. Whereas the rectangles force a spacing. And there corner impacts actually helps keep it that way.
Really? Where can I get it?
if you have a handle on if a unit dies while experiencing force (ie elephant strike or siege weapon), I wonder if one of @Alexandermb's new infantry death animations could be used.
There is one where the unit gets knocked backwards off its feet, could be very cinematic.
I don't know if it's already been posted, but you can listen to the audio in English.
The platform here doesn't offer that option.
https://vt.tiktok.com/ZSbfNLmvn/
I uploaded a small part of the video to TikTok.
By the way, I think this one is in the mod but only with green feathers from the wings to the wings; there is another version of this bird with yellow plumage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarlet_macaw
I don't know if @Lopess can confirm.