A26 replay on rejoin doesnt save.

vinme

I would argue it is even of more use, than having just the first minutes ? It still would allow to see how certain actions during the game worked out. And despite i dont know if it is technically possible, it would also be an option to just add to the old replay file ? I agree that it would be a very welcome improvement.

• Like 1

I was just referring to the fact that the replay files without a beginning could not be used to actually replay the game because the initial state of such replay is not available. You only have player commands since a specific time, but those are of no use if you don't know which entities these are referring to. Replay files could be merged provided that there is no gap. Perhaps if you only quit and rejoin while the game is paused. It would be different if the game state after a rejoin would also be stored, but unless something has changed, that isn't the case.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Boudica said:

Is the replay of any use if it is not from the beginning?

yes, because i wanna watch the whole game ive played -_- and i do have the first half.

the second half is of the SAME use as the first half.

also, even without rejoin, even if my initial join of a game was midway, to spec, id want the replay, maybe i saw some good play i wanted to rewatch?

absurd question, it worked in a25 just fine, as it was supposed to.

in fact its so obvious any viewing of game should be and has been saved i dont even know what your trying to pull here.

Sorry, vinme, but I think I made myself very clear in the followup comment. Why write a lengthy response like this when you're only arguing with a straw man?

Of course, I am not opposing the usefulness of watching partial replays. I used the word replay to mean replay files, which is both in accordance with how you used the word in the title and pretty obvious unless you immediately jump to conclusion that I must be asking something trivial and dumb.

The fact is I never used to be able to view or replay any replay files that don't start from "command 0". If you claim it's something that has worked for you, perhaps there is something wrong with my game. Anyway, the game state won't appear out of nowhere and I didn't see it get stored after a rejoin last time I checked that.

1 hour ago, Boudica said:

I was just referring to the fact that the replay files without a beginning could not be used to actually replay the game because the initial state of such replay is not available. You only have player commands since a specific time, but those are of no use if you don't know which entities these are referring to. Replay files could be merged provided that there is no gap. Perhaps if you only quit and rejoin while the game is paused. It would be different if the game state after a rejoin would also be stored, but unless something has changed, that isn't the case.

Maybe after rejoining the specific situation could be saved as the "starting scenario" ?  After all the map shown in the replay is not a random "mainland" map, but a specific variation as well. It might be though, that a specifc "seed" is beeing saved, which allows the exact reproduction. So i guess it is technically difficult, to modify the setup before the replay starts, as lots of information would need to be saved, including commands in progress and an extra "modification" step before the replay starts would need to happen. But i am programming nub, so just random ideas.

Edited by MarcusAureliu#s
  • Like 1

I checked for myself and the opening statement isn't even right. The replay does get saved after a rejoin. Do some research before you start saying stuff.

So I suppose that when you claim it worked in A25, that's also going to be false.

2 hours ago, Boudica said:

It would be different if the game state after a rejoin would also be stored, but unless something has changed, that isn't the case.