City Names?

oRXxqfu.jpg

This was discussed off and on in the past. I was thinking it would be nice for the game to name the different Civic Centers based on historical city names (similar to how the AI is given a cool historical name). In a standard match, the names would be pulled from a pre-made list (either in the civ.json or {civ}/civil_centre template).

Secondarily, Atlas could be extended to allow scenario/campaign designers to give custom names to Civic Centers on the map (or done with triggers).

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 8

10 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

Maybe also allow players to type in their own names?

lol, I intentionally left that option out (it's always brought up), because then you'll have some people naming their cities racial slurs and such. Much better to just avoid that altogether (and we can keep it historically accurate with a pre-made list). Perhaps it could be allowed in single player games though.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 14/08/2021 at 3:53 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

lol, I intentionally left that option out (it's always brought up), because then you'll have some people naming their cities racial slurs and such. Much better to just avoid that altogether (and we can keep it historically accurate with a pre-made list). Perhaps it could be allowed in single player games though.

Generic names would be good like Caesarea, Caesar Augusta (Zaragoza), Alexandria, Phillipos ... Decapolis... 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Generic names would be good like Caesarea, Caesar Augusta (Zaragoza), Alexandria, Phillipos ... Decapolis... 

I imagine in the civ json the "capitol" civic center name could be dictated, or a small list of good capitol names (capitol being the starting civic center).

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...