Editor: support translations

This thread was started because of this:

On 29/06/2021 at 12:42 PM, Stan` said:

I try to look them up from time to time as well as language requests. @nwtour has done an amazing job at getting things translated. I guess the biggest translation to come would be to get atlas mo files

On 02/07/2021 at 7:26 AM, Ceres said:

@Stan`

How can I provide translated strings for Atlas? Or help to bring the original strings from Atlas to Transifex?

On 02/07/2021 at 7:26 AM, Ceres said:

@Stan`

How can I provide translated strings for Atlas? Or help to bring the original strings from Atlas to Transifex?

19 hours ago, Stan` said:

Currently, you cannot. Atlas uses another GUI system, called wxwidgets which has it own format, mo files. So we need something to extract those mo files, turn them into po files get transifex to pull them, pull back the translations and then convert them back to mo files.  Not sure how hard it is, but it hasn't been attempted yet.

11 hours ago, Ceres said:

Where is the path of the mo files? Is there some background info/definition available for them, and how they differ from the po files?

10 hours ago, Stan` said:

Currently we don't generate them at all.

@Stan`

31 minutes ago, Ceres said:

(sorry, I cannot delete this empty box in Android Firefox)

What do you mean by "we don't generate them at all"? The English text for Atlas is available somewhere, right? In form of mo files, I understood. Sorry for my confusion. :blush:

Edited by Ceres

No English text strings are under the form of CPP and H files. Those strings need to be extracted to mo files.

It's the same for the game po files are not created out of thin hair. They are generated from strings in js files and in json files.

If I understand correctly, Atlas is created with other software than is used for oad, namely wxwidgets. This software does not use .po files but .mo files for translation of text strings. Although .po files are used in the translation workflow somehow.

There is documentation for translating programs made in wxwidgets. https://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/overview_i18n.html . My knowledge about programming is limited but I am willing to give it a try. It would help if the person(s) who created Atlas are available for directions and/or guidance. Who can tell me who they are?

• Thanks 1