Unit roles and balance

What is the difference in the role of chariots vs horse archers?

In AOE one costs metal and the other is trash unit.

In 0 A.D we already have trash units that do that in cavalry.

https://ageofempires.fandom.com/wiki/Horse_Archer_(Age_of_Empires)

May be anti support anti healers and villager.

In AoE role:

""The Chariot Archer is a popular Bronze Age unit because of its combined speed, strength, range of attack, and the fact that it costs no gold, which makes it a so-called trash unit. Its speed allows it to fly right past towers and catch Villagers quickly. It possesses 7 range, allowing it to find exposed units or for reconnaissance. As it is fast and has good range, it is strong in numbers.""

----

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

10 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

What is the difference in the role of chariots vs horse archers?

In AOE one costs metal and the other is trash unit.

In 0 A.D we already have trash units that do that in cavalry.

https://ageofempires.fandom.com/wiki/Horse_Archer_(Age_of_Empires)

May be anti support anti healers and villager.

In AoE role:

""The Chariot Archer is a popular Bronze Age unit because of its combined speed, strength, range of attack, and the fact that it costs no gold, which makes it a so-called trash unit. Its speed allows it to fly right past towers and catch Villagers quickly. It possesses 7 range, allowing it to find exposed units or for reconnaissance. As it is fast and has good range, it is strong in numbers.""

----

I would think chariots should be a more armored unit, horse archers faster.

1 hour ago, Adeimantos said:

I would think chariots should be a more armored unit, horse archers faster.

Agreed. More armor or more health, functionally the same. Health is easier to intuit for the player, while armor is more "realistic." Also, Chariots should have a trample aura. Both should be able to fire while moving, the Archer Cav after a tech, while Chariot has it from the beginning. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Agreed. More armor or more health, functionally the same. Health is easier to intuit for the player, while armor is more "realistic." Also, Chariots should have a trample aura. Both should be able to fire while moving, the Archer Cav after a tech, while Chariot has it from the beginning. 

I actually gave chariots a trample aura in a mod i was working on for a23. It might be better if it only dealt damage when moving, but I don't know how to do that. It basically makes chariots better against groups of weaker units, so you'd want to counter chariots with champion units like spear cavalry.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I have thought that their have a melee attack and their standard attack(range).

The armor thing makes a lot of sense, it will be the opposite of AOE.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Another difference there should be with chariots and horse archers is that chariots should mostly switch to melee mode.Battle-of-Megiddo-Egypt-Tours-Portal.thumb.jpg.b47d859d0b933e72c11d9eec53d51d07.jpg

Let it be a kind of attack (animation like the hoplite).

the role is basically that of a hoplite on wheels.ScytheChariotDE.png.6777c3dd7fdff313773be5335f597e6f.png

This at least with heavy chariots. 

The Seleucids, Persian and Han fall into this category.

The role I am not sure yet but it would be an anti-infantry cavalry.

With trample damage. That would give it a good mass advantage against groups of sword infantry.

Its weakness would be other cavalry and pikemen.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

• 9 months later...

I am pleased to see that the ideas of giving roles to the ships have been implemented, it would only be necessary to define some units in this game.

Lancers and chariots are still not very different from the horse archer and the cavalry spearman..

The war chariot should be the default alternative to the catafract in many factions.

There are factions that being infantry would not have either one or the other and it would be only spearman and skirmish cavalry.

The idea that these 2 units should be to fight on equal terms with the sword infantry and withstand the spear infantry being their weaknesses pikemen and skirmishers.

Therefore a large range area is necessary.

In the case of the chariot it needs to be a shooting unit and spear (melee).

Its role would be anti-infantry. Like the catafract from AoE II or the chariot from the Rome Returns DLC.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

• 2 weeks later...
2022 年 10 月 22 日上午 10:42,Lion.Kanzen 说道:

反步兵步兵剑是不错的选择。

相比反骑兵,我更喜欢枪骑兵。也不错。

I don't really agree with the idea of designing a unit that "counters a certain unit." We should think more about allowing a certain type of unit to gain different advantages under different conditions.
For example, a swordsman is an infantryman who has both a sword and a shield. On one hand I don't agree that swordsmen can defeat spearmen in a head-to-head duel. On the other hand, the swordsman should be a fast infantry that does not rely on the square formation, so that the swordsman can more quickly outflank the enemy spearmen array and gain an advantage. In order to prevent the array from being outflanked by the enemy swordsmen, the player You should deploy your own swordsmen or melee cavalry on both sides of the spearmen array.
At the same time, swordsmen who can attack in a loose formation are also better suited to chasing away shooters.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, AIEND said:

I don't really agree with the idea of designing a unit that "counters a certain unit." We should think more about allowing a certain type of unit to gain different advantages under different conditions.
For example, a swordsman is an infantryman who has both a sword and a shield. On one hand I don't agree that swordsmen can defeat spearmen in a head-to-head duel. On the other hand, the swordsman should be a fast infantry that does not rely on the square formation, so that the swordsman can more quickly outflank the enemy spearmen array and gain an advantage. In order to prevent the array from being outflanked by the enemy swordsmen, the player You should deploy your own swordsmen or melee cavalry on both sides of the spearmen array.
At the same time, swordsmen who can attack in a loose formation are also better suited to chasing away shooters.

When do players have the APM to make these considerations inside the mosh pit that is 0 a.d.'s combat?

56 minutes ago, AIEND said:

No, I plan to use hard counters with that situation, sword combat changed radically in Europe at this time.

In the game the spearman have a better price advantage.

We could have Asian technologies turn the spearman into a unit that resists the swordmen.

On 21/10/2022 at 8:42 PM, Lion.Kanzen said:

anti infantry infantry sword is good choice.

I prefer spear-lancer as anti cavalry cavalry.not bad either.

@AIEND

I'm talking about cavalry here  also.

Referring to the lancer cavalry.

853575465aaba47e15672f6dabedbfce.jpg.0967736f9fc9280e9b7d366e798afe68.jpg

-------

Maybe the Chinese spear infantry and pikemen can have better resistance towards the swordmen.

It would be good to discuss what kind of technologies make the Chinese (Asian) spearman better.

• 3 weeks later...