Roman heroes

Tomcelmare

Hi everyone!

I don't know if the topic has already been discussed but I wondered if you could implement Julius Caesar as a hero for the romans. There are three main reasons for this: first, he is a very famous character of ancient history, both as a strategist and as a politician, second: he fits with the period of the game, third: there are already Vercingetorix for the gauls, and Cleopatra for the ptolemies, and he met both of them. For these reasons, I really think Caesar ought to be implemented in the game. 

50 minutes ago, niektb said:

Actually, Julius Caesar never was a caesar. It was a title he gave to himself (even though he was nothing more than a Consul). Octavianus (or Augustus), son of Gaius Julius, was the first Emperor :P

Was Caesar but not a title probably a nickname to distinguish from other Julius from the gens Julii, Octavian was the first principate title Imperator exist give for his own man to a Roman general( that was victorious in battle) 

Ok, Lion Kanzen, I understand, but it's strange then to have Cleopatra and Vercingetorix, and no Caesar. Thank you niektb, though I'm not extremely knowledgeable in Roman history, I knew that much :) plus my question was why "the man who called himself Caesar without being one" :P is absent of the game? 

32 minutes ago, Tomcelmare said:

Ok, Lion Kanzen, I understand, but it's strange then to have Cleopatra and Vercingetorix, and no Caesar. Thank you niektb, though I'm not extremely knowledgeable in Roman history, I knew that much :) plus my question was why "the man who called himself Caesar without being one" :P is absent of the game? 

Yes but is into faction Roman document design 

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Civ%3A_Romans_Republican

Yes, thank you Lion Kanzen for your link. SeleucidKing, unfortunately, I'm not very knowledgeable about the gauls, but I know Vercingetorix and Brennus who went to Rome. As for the ptolemies, yes Cleopatra was unavoidable. In conclusion, I think we're not going to see Caesar in the game :P

34 minutes ago, Tomcelmare said:

Yes, thank you Lion Kanzen for your link. SeleucidKing, unfortunately, I'm not very knowledgeable about the gauls, but I know Vercingetorix and Brennus who went to Rome. As for the ptolemies, yes Cleopatra was unavoidable. In conclusion, I think we're not going to see Caesar in the game :P

You forgot the game have 2 parts, in the other part are more 

Roman factions...

9 hours ago, Tomcelmare said:

[...] but it's strange then to have Cleopatra and Vercingetorix, and no Caesar.

• Caesar + Vercingetorix ( of the Gallic Wars) = Fought with or against the Marian Reforms type army (...is a planned feature for part one, but is not yet properly implemented)
  • Current in-game Roman army = Polybian Reforms type army (of the Punic wars) in-game Rome faction heroes are well known Roman figures in the Punic wars

This is a common obstacle in games or mods that aim for historicity (Trying to find a way to squeeze in contents from several eras into one game to have a more generalized faction and/or reduce files and workload)

A little stroll on Wikipedia landed me into these Gallic figures

• Autaritus - Leader of the Gallic mercenaries during the First Punic war, also took and active part in the Mercenary war against his former employers at the end of the First Punic war
  • Acichorius, Bolgios and Cerethrius - Companion leaders of Brennus during the sacking of Greece