String truncation in diplomacy window

GunChleoc

This is how the diplomacy window looks in Scottish Gaelic (gd), with civilization names and whatever is in the "Theirs" column.

post-14940-0-33906400-1429557544_thumb.p

The only solution I can think of is to make the window bigger.

Another thing I noticed is that the language's name in the language selection is still "gd" instead of "Gàidhlig".

This is how the diplomacy window looks in Scottish Gaelic (gd), with civilization names and whatever is in the "Theirs" column.

attachicon.gif0Ad-Diplomacy.png

The only solution I can think of is to make the window bigger.

Yes, that should probably be done at some point.

Another thing I noticed is that the language's name in the language selection is still "gd" instead of "Gàidhlig".

Can you check that again? I have the latter in the dropdown (for language) and the former for locale (which it is).

Here's a screenshot of my language menu:

attachicon.gif0AD-language.png

I believe the string comes from the i18n library. I also see the full name, so I think that the library used in your case is outdated in some way. Do you use the windows autobuilder?

Some languages have their first letter in lower case and some in upper case too.

That's normal, it's the name of the language as they write it in that language. Some languages use capitals to name a language (like English), others don't (like French in French is "français").

I believe the string comes from the i18n library. I also see the full name, so I think that the library used in your case is outdated in some way. Do you use the windows autobuilder?

I used the installer downloaded from the homepage. ETA: I just did a fresh install of my whole system, so the culprit can't be an older 0AD version leaving crud behind

We only got the language into ICU last Autumn, so this might be part of the problem. ETA: Found the announcement.

That's normal, it's the name of the language as they write it in that language. Some languages use capitals to name a language (like English), others don't (like French in French is "français").

Maybe you can uppercase the first letter automatically with some ICU function? It would make the menu look better.

Edited by GunChleoc

The ICU version we use on Windows is 52, so it is just too old to include that change. Updating libraries on Windows is a bit of a pain to do, but I've added it to #3004.

I'd rather not change the casing to something that might not be correct in the target language just to make it look uniform.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...