Want to be a part of it

Katsuyori

Hi everyone! I have a question. I want to create a game, using Pyrogenesis game engine, and my game is somehow similar to 0 A.D. (but many things as well as gameplay will absolutely change). So I may not head over to game engine itself to change it. Anyway, before that, I thought it was a good idea to contribute to the main project to get to know everything. I'm a C++ programmer (not a totally pro one), I've had experiences with coding and I want to do bug fixes at first. So can you help me where to start from? It doesn't matter if it's the game engine I have to work on or it's the gameplay. I'm no artist though. If there's any book I have to read, any article I have to take a look at, please tell me. I'm here to devote my time to 0 A.D.

It would be great if I can keep in touch with someone, I'd need a little help to get ready. :) Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

Not totally but if you have any question drop by on irc Philip' Leper Yves And historic bruno and many other will be happy to give you advices :)

Also I manage trac on my free time so I can help you find something to do :)

For now we are in commit freeZe before a new release so not much activity but it'll go better in the coming weeks.

If I can help you with anything tell me.

I'm also managing mods which can be usefull if you want to make your own game. :)

• Like 3

Just picking up random work seldomly results in good quality code. Picking a task you want to do (either one in our tickets, or one you invent) makes it a lot easier to achieve a result.

As such, I don't see it as a problem when you just start creating your mod. If you need changes to the engine, we can still guide you, and then incorporate the changes if they are good. We could also incorporate some of the things you add as a mod, if they're coded decently.

You'll see that all art and most gameplay code is implemented as a mod (the public mod), so if you want to create your own game using the engine, you can just replace that mod with your own mod. And either distribute it as a complete game (engine + mod), or distribute it as a mod people have to install in their 0 A.D. installation (note that people can disable the public mod, so total conversion mods are possible).

I do have to warn you for the legal aspects though. If your art gets mixed with existing game art (including the GUI art), you should also distribute your art under the CC-BY-SA license. If your code gets mixed with code from us, you should also release your code under GPLv2+.

About the manual, that's mostly updated, some pieces may be missing, but there shouldn't be a lot of wrong parts. If you find something wrong, just drop by on #0ad-dev on Quakenet to discuss it, and it can be fixed.

• Like 2

Not totally but if you have any question drop by on irc Philip' Leper Yves And historic bruno and many other will be happy to give you advices :)

Also I manage trac on my free time so I can help you find something to do :)

For now we are in commit freeZe before a new release so not much activity but it'll go better in the coming weeks.

If I can help you with anything tell me.

I'm also managing mods which can be usefull if you want to make your own game. :)

Awesome! I'll contact you soon. Thanks a lot!

Just picking up random work seldomly results in good quality code. Picking a task you want to do (either one in our tickets, or one you invent) makes it a lot easier to achieve a result.

As such, I don't see it as a problem when you just start creating your mod. If you need changes to the engine, we can still guide you, and then incorporate the changes if they are good. We could also incorporate some of the things you add as a mod, if they're coded decently.

You'll see that all art and most gameplay code is implemented as a mod (the public mod), so if you want to create your own game using the engine, you can just replace that mod with your own mod. And either distribute it as a complete game (engine + mod), or distribute it as a mod people have to install in their 0 A.D. installation (note that people can disable the public mod, so total conversion mods are possible).

I do have to warn you for the legal aspects though. If your art gets mixed with existing game art (including the GUI art), you should also distribute your art under the CC-BY-SA license. If your code gets mixed with code from us, you should also release your code under GPLv2+.

About the manual, that's mostly updated, some pieces may be missing, but there shouldn't be a lot of wrong parts. If you find something wrong, just drop by on #0ad-dev on Quakenet to discuss it, and it can be fixed.

License is not a problem in my case. And yes, we're a team of three people (Two coders and one 3D artist) and we want to create a game with different gameplay (Many things will change). We want this to be a free open-source game, so codes will be definitaly under GPL2+ and arts will be under CC-BY-SA, not a problem. But the idea is so different that I don't know where to start from. I used Doxygen on game engine to get a documentation and boy! I was shocked! How HUGE a project can be?! It made me frustrated. So I decided to jump on 0 A.D. itself for a long period of time to master it and then start my own project. Thank you for your kind reply. <3