0 A. D. on Puppy Linux

thamlett

Puppy is built from the binaries of other Linux distros, there are Puppies based on different distros. They can install packages from their parent's distro, as well as from the Puppy repository. I don't think there is a Slackware 5.5, but there is a Slacko Puppy 5.5 based on Slackware - is that what you meant? This an HD install of Puppy? It's mainly intended for use on portable media (CD, DVD, USB stick) but HD installs can be done.

I tried a similar project - attempted to install 0ad in Precise Puppy (which is Ubuntu-based) on a USB stick, from the Ubuntu repository (there wasn't a Puppy package). Didn't work, haven't got around to trying again. I did check the Puppy forums, there are people running 0ad on Puppy. In one post there, I found another alternative for getting the game - it's available from Portable Games for Linux.

According to users on that forum thread, packages from there work fine in Puppy. They do have Alpha 15 there, too - I checked. I just haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

So, if you were trying to install a package, that's another one you could try. If you're compiling from source - what Sander said.

Well, I tried, but I couldn't get a complete download from Portable Games for Linux.

The version Puppy Package Manager got from an Ubuntu repo, I finally got working - turned out to be Alpha 9. :down: It had installed before, just wouldn't run - it refused to run as root, didn't have permissions to run it as a limited user. Regular catch-22. A fix for this was posted on the Puppy forums recently: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=1962441041&t=92036

I don't know if it would let me install 0ad as a limited user. In Puppy, you normally run as root - it's designed for a live CD, changes aren't written to the file system but to a separate save file, which you can delete if anything goes wrong.

Maybe I should try ArchPup - the Arch repos apparently have Alpha 15, that's where Portable Games for Linux got it from.

ArchPup is now called Alpha OS, I found out. Don't like it much, pacman (the Arch package manager, which it uses instead of Puppy's) is a command-line app. You have to know the name of the program you want so you can tell it to search for it. Much less convenient than in Puppy, where you look under the category you want and it lists what's available.

Anyway, all that came up was 0ad Alpha 14...better than Alpha 9, I guess.

Edited by greenknight32

hmm. i'll try other linux distros

i was just trying to replace xp on my laptop before april

How old is the laptop it should run any of the main line distros with ease if it has not much memory just use one of the low memory desktops which is what puppy basically does,if it has more a gig or more your in the gravy ;)

Enjoy the Choice :)

How old is the laptop it should run any of the main line distros with ease if it has not much memory just use one of the low memory desktops which is what puppy basically does,if it has more a gig or more your in the gravy ;)

which would you recommend for a t41 thinkpad with a gig of ram and a 2 GHz processor?

like i said, i'll i'm doing is replacing xp

Edited by thamlett

Try any of the Ubuntu Live Disc's or Mint which is based on Ubuntu your thinkpad will take to it quite nicely coming from Xp you might find the MATE desktop easier for your first experience in Linux and if you don't like it just install an other one to try if you find it kinda slow then XFCE should do the trick as it needs fewer resources for the desktop they will be available in the distro's repository.If you have any questions or problem just post or send me a PM.Linux is not that different you do have much more control of all the OS like turning off any unnecessary hand holding any if you break it you keep both pieces ;) but the fix is usually just a re-install with no data loss.

@thamlett

You don't need to install another distro. Puppy Linux in my opinion (this is just cuz I'm a slack guy ;)) will run on a 16 MHz 80386 lolz ... In other words, that's the only distro I know that runs optimally on notebooks. And the reason is because its extremely light, you'd have to manually configure that distro in order to support a variety of programs.

In my opinion, don't use Mint or Ubuntu... Those Debian subs are immensely overrated and Ubuntu is sluggish and grossly unstable. You might as well be better off with Windows 8 lol.......

You say that for some reason, you cannot get the game installed, the thing I want to know is what reason?

Post the error messages, and screenshots if you want, I'll help you out :)

• Like 1

Like I said above, I did get it to work in Precise Puppy, but it was an old 0ad version on the Ubuntu repos that were available. It says in the 0ad install instructions than newer versions are in the Ubuntu Backports repo, and the Puppy help does have instructions on how to add a repo - I'm just too thick to understand them.

There were a lot of dependencies to install, but you just have to click "examine dependencies" in the Puppy Package Manager and it will get them. There was one it couldn't download automatically, but it led me to where I could get it. Then I had to run that script I linked in the earlier post, to get 0ad to run in root. I had to start it from the console the first time - just type "0ad" - but not all that hard to get it working. Just need to figure out adding a repo so I can update it. Somebody on the Puppy forum can probably explain it.

In Slacko Puppy, none of the repos offered had 0ad - same deal, just need to add the right repo. I have a feeling it's not that complicated, just that the instructions suck.

@thamlett

You don't need to install another distro. Puppy Linux in my opinion (this is just cuz I'm a slack guy ;)) will run on a 16 MHz 80386 lolz ... In other words, that's the only distro I know that runs optimally on notebooks. And the reason is because its extremely light, you'd have to manually configure that distro in order to support a variety of programs.

In my opinion, don't use Mint or Ubuntu... Those Debian subs are immensely overrated and Ubuntu is sluggish and grossly unstable. You might as well be better off with Windows 8 lol.......

You say that for some reason, you cannot get the game installed, the thing I want to know is what reason?

Post the error messages, and screenshots if you want, I'll help you out :)

@Romulus, I'm starting to agree with you - Mint, Ubuntu, Lubuntu, and Kubuntu just don't grab me

I think I'm going to start messing with the repos and i'll PM you (or email when i get your address) when i have a question or a discovery

Got a response on the Puppy forum, said it was easier to download the packages manually than add a repo to the Puppy Package Manager, gave me links to them here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=92659

Won't help you if you're on Slacko, though; don't know if that script to make it run as root will work, either.

Anyway, in Precise Puppy I got alpha 11, the newest version compiled for Ubuntu Precise, to work perfectly. Not really harder than using PPM, the Petget download manager automatically sends it to PPM, it's all pretty automatic. 2 packages to install - 0ad and a very large 0ad data package.

I then tried alpha 15, compiled for the next version of Ubuntu. Ran out of room in my save file, though (running from a CD this time, with save file on a flash drive). 1 GB wasn't big enough, so I added another half gig - haven't had time to download it again yet, so I still don't know if that will work.

So that's what you need to get it going in Precise Puppy. If you want to do it in Slacko, I'd suggest asking for help on the Puppy forum (if you can't figure it out between you and Romulus).

Edited by greenknight32

• 2 weeks later...

Once tested Puppy and Slacko ... sadly worse performance and boot-up time even than ubuntu (ubuntu still being much quicker than windows for me). So it's difficult to argue for any.

Of course if you have a portable storage only (only USB e.g. and no disk), then this might be the only option.

Otherwise, from philosophy point of view, I strongly support ArchLinux. You can search all packages' short/long descriptions,... via

pacman -Ss
See here for a reference (also for other *nix OS): https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman_Rosetta

Reasons:

• Using all most up to date packages, so no dependency mess.
  • Packages (Gentoo misses that I think, packages are still a time saver: one guy deals with it. Many many profit from it and save time. => Was worth it for the one guy/gal more than if s/he had done it for him/herself only.).
  • No polluted environment/system (start with blanko system, put in what you really need).
  • simplicity (don't get lost in optimisations).
  • Life update. => install once, never have to reinstall and be in danger to loose your programs, data and many wits in the process.
  • more?
Edited by Hephaestion

Puppy is slow to boot up, but it loads completely into RAM (if you have enough RAM) so it's very fast once it's running under those conditions. It's designed to be very easy to use, even for Linux noobs - Arch is for more advanced Linux users.

I still haven't managed to get alpha 15 to run on Precise Puppy, but alpha 11 ran extremely well.

You are right. That's terrific too. Just save your complete disk. That's brilliant, I love minimalism. (in technical matters)

Know yaourt? The pacman package maanger high level wrapper for Archlinux?

I have to dig into pacman for the Mod Manager I guess. Though first I have to understand enet better (as we use this library already).